spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-11 09:05:20: While a few paid (by Microsoft and AT&T) pundits like Scott Cleland have insisted demand won't be there for Google Fiber, a new survey unsurprisingly finds that Kansas City locals are thrilled about the possibility of symmetrical 1 Gbps for $70. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Razoul

join:2012-10-09
Crestline, CA
Reviews:
·Charter

2 recommendations

If people like

elray and ITALIAN926 are to be believed then we have no need for fiber. Capped cable and DSL are the best things in the world and anyone who questions why mono and duopolies are allowed on something such as last mile internet just hate the freedom we Americans have and they prove that our unregulated internet infrastructure has no problems with greedy corporations or anything like that and the customers don't need anything more than 3mbit DSL anyways.

Looks like there's actually an interest in a product that provides something more than the pathetic offerings Comcast, AT&T and others provide for high cost with low offering on all fronts. Who knew?

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1

2 recommendations

Puzzling.

Offer a consumer a superb product at a reasonable price?
What is that all about?

--
Romney becomes "the" Epic Failure!

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
reply to Razoul

Re: If people like

You're absolutely right.

I don't need anything higher than 15mbps. Hell, you can get 3 streams of netflix on that and have a few kbps to spare! It's fantastic! Oh, and don't forget about the ability to backup my storage to the cloud with my massive 1mbps upload rate.

I'd love to have fiber - I'd colocate my stuff in a heartbeat..

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

1 recommendation

reply to spewak

Too much like right

The big boys are going to do everything in their power to block Google from spreading nationwide. From what history shows almost everything Google puts their hand on turns to gold, does the word Andriod ring a bell. The US invented the internet as we know it today but we are near the bottom when it comes to speeds compared to other industrialized countries. Having traveled to Europe and Asia in last year or so I've been able to download music in 30 seconds or less, stream video without buffering, and surf the net with ease thanks to fiber. I for one would love to see Google go nationwide with their product and give some real competition to the incumbent ISPs and offer real broadband for a value.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to spewak

Re: Puzzling.

The scary thing is we are only talking about $200 billion or so to wire up the entire country with fiber. A lot of money to be sure but given Google's track record it would not be all that hard for them to come up with that level of investment.

/tom

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

reply to nrobot80

Re: Too much like right

and be for some one says asia and europe have higher pop density then the US that makes no excuse for the north east and west cost or any of the major cities in the US

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

1 recommendation

reply to tschmidt

Re: Puzzling.

Again too much like right. I'm sure there are some investors with deep pockets ready to invest. Google could be starting a snowball effect in a good way, think of the economic impact we would have if Google nation wide, jobs created, industries transformed. The people that say we don't need faster speeds must have invested in big telco/MSOs

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to tschmidt
How about we just skip the next war? That should more than pay for it!!

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com

$64.90 for 50Mbps....

.... so can anyone tell me why for the love of God i wouldn't get 1Gbps for $5 more? I mean seriously??

I don't need 1Gbps download but better than 8Mbps upload would be nice, say 20-30Mbps (got cloud backup). Pushing 1-10GB of data per day up to the cloud on 8Mbps isn't so bad per say, takes a few hours but man it would be sweet if i could do it in 1hr or less

NeedForSpeed

@teksavvy.com

Google Fiber Nationwide/Continent Wide?

I don't care if Google Fiber goes nationwide. I just want it to come to my city. I'd sign up in an eye blink.

Show me anyone under 60 or 70 who doesn't want faster speeds and no bandwidth caps... I'm 65 and I use several hundred GB per month, mostly video (legal) and streaming audio. Around our house over-the-air & cable television are pretty much history.

I have 10 mbps --unlimited-- cable internet (Canada - $47.95) and the peace of mind knowing that I'm not going to get whacked with some astronomical bandwidth overage bill because we watch a few too many programs or movies is wonderful.

Now all I need is the speed of Google Fiber and for uncompressed hi-def 3D streaming video, 3D video conferencing, etc., etc.

As time goes on and I grow older, speeds like Google Fiber's and unrestricted bandwidth will become more important. Even more-so than now, the internet will be my window on the world and my connection to friends and relatives as I become less mobile and possibly infirm with increasing age.

Thank you Google for starting the snowball rolling down the hill. Please keep it up.

namida12

join:2004-10-30
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

I have capped my Internet payments

I turned off my TV Cable, and kept only the internet at $70. For that price my ISP provides 18m Down and 2.5m up service. My cousins in UK, pay $36 for my service speeds, and in Japan they pay $60 for 1 Gig service.

The demand is there in large numbers, but why would ISPs provide service when bundling price fixing has us locked into paying providers big money for what they provide mentality, so they can report large earnings. All cities should have a separate cable/fiber company, and any provider should be able to provide service, or build their own fiber delivery.

The corporate lobbyist that keep the elected officials flush with money, to manipulate the US consumer and keep that consumer under their heel, is the bane of a once free country.

Cable and DSL bundling is like the Oil Cartel and they price fix like there is no tomorrow. The justice department needs to destroy this cartel, I am surprised that Google is being allowed into a city that has such tight control over what their consumers are getting.

JR

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Razoul

Most people dont need Gbps, thats a fact jack. When theres widespread, and popular applications for such speeds, let me know. Thanks for the honorable mention.

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

Yeah... no

An online survey funded by Google finds a high demand for Google services?

Shocking.

Google won't get a 60% uptake rate. Not even close.

ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

60% may be "interested" but that doesnt mean squat. My neighbor has been interested in FiOS for 4 years now, inexplicably still hasnt signed up. He's the last one of the 6 houses on my street to still have Cablevision.

freakout9903
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Gastonia, NC
Reviews:
·NetTalk

4k and 8k tv resolutions

4k/8k resolutions will hopefully force most cable/telcos to iptv, which in the end will feed the need for higher bw needs. Right now if you want to stream a full 1080p blueray movie not re-encoded down to some ***t format, you are looking at about 25-40gigs of data. This does not even exist yet, along any of the current 'streaming services' because people would be hitting caps in a movie or two. Don't tell me netflix or hulu streams in full 1080p and that it doesn't use this much bw, you will loose this argument.

Maybe google will be the first to provide a 4k stream or at least a true full 1080p stream. This would kick the competition in the a** some I think.
--
Join The Fight against Media Censorship www.blackthisout.com

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Yeah... no

$70 is a bit much for Internet; but my ISP is offering $40 fiber for 6x my current download speed. Just not in my community, yet.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Razoul

No one said they were all interested in gigabit internet. There is a free service as well.

they call me

@accd.edu
reply to SHoTTa35

Re: $64.90 for 50Mbps....

i'd be happy enough to pay $64.90 for 50/8 service,

Joey1973

@verizon.net

It's not about the speed,

it's about the simplicity. You just plug-in and never have to think about it. You don't have to wonder if you're being throttled down to some artificial tier. You don't have to worry about going over some artificial usage cap. It's a simple decision: you get to use a real network for the same price range as the "competition". It's a no-brainer.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

2 recommendations

reply to ITALIAN926

So do you think the network should be built first or the applications?

You, being against fast networks for some unknown reason, would say the applications, right? Which I personally think is ass backwards as would probably 95+% of anyone involved in technology.

In technology you dont wait until the limits are reached to figure out how to create new limits. You constantly push the limits and make things as fast and as efficient as you can at all times and let the rest fall into place. It is the way the PC and technology has been since the very day it was created and it has brought much innovation.

Using the ignorance of your method we would progress much slower because no one would want to create apps that a vast majority of the world cant use and the network owners certainly wouldnt invest in improving their networks unless we (the consumers) are pushing them to do so by taking their networks to the limits.

I bet you dont still use a 56k modem so unless you are willing to do that, stop with your BS that we dont need higher speeds.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

1 recommendation

Definitions?

What is the meaning of "60% of those who qualify are very interested in obtaining Google Fiber"?

Reading the article, it says that 30% have paid the $10 pre-registration fee (OK, that's a hard number!) and that another 30% are "expressing interest", whatever that means! That could even mean they have never heard of it, but are interested to learn what it actually is. How did this translate into "very interested"?

Still, in the brand comparison, google is clearly much more trusted than the competition, according to the numbers in the article.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to elios

You are suppose to wait to bring common sense and facts into the argument until AFTER they make their silly claims.

It makes the game that much more fun for all.

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Skippy25

.... and you think the incumbents should spend a massive amount of money for others to innovate and profit? Makes perfect business sense. I guess they should do it for the sake of "progress".

Im not against fast networks, Google Gbps is complete overkill, at the moment. We'll see if they invent something to utilize the bandwidth. If I had a choice to pay $70 a month for 20/5 , or $80 for symmetrical 1Gbps, guess which one I choose. Guess which one MOST people would choose.

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

KC?!

So how did KC get so lucky to be first? I am extremely jealous. Seems like it'll be years before it spreads out to outlying cities.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to freakout9903

Re: 4k and 8k tv resolutions

said by freakout9903:

Don't tell me netflix or hulu streams in full 1080p and that it doesn't use this much bw, you will loose this argument.

1080p at 24fps (movies) requires less bandwidth than 1080i at 60fps (broadcast TV).

Bluray video is encoded at a significantly higher bitrate than any streaming service. The "1080p" you get from VOD, netflix, hulu is nowhere near "bluray quality" despite the advertising.

1080p can be encoded into about 8GB per 2 hour film, and most would still find it acceptable.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit
reply to sleuth

Re: KC?!

It will never come to West Des Moines. Too much competition there.

damacu

join:2012-07-18
reply to ITALIAN926

The data above (and in the study) shows that the uptake rate counters your "guess which one MOST people would choose" argument. Last I checked, 60% is a majority (that's a synonym with the word most).

It's the same reason the iPhone penetrates the smartphone market so well. Under your logic, everyone would own a Nexus4 or less, and not a more expensive product, such as the iPhone.

It's why the median car price in America is $30,000, and not $17,000. Most people can see the value in a nicer car with more features. Do both drive down the same roads? Yep. So why pay more for something? Because the not everyone (or even most people) operates under a purely utilitarian rationale.

A cost-benefit analysis dictates that marginally better products and services can overwhelm a market, even at a higher price, because of features that are seldom used--yet potentially offer greater comfort, or peace of mind, etc.

The rest of the world is driving a $70,000 car, and only paying for the $15,000 model. The question is, "why are we so inefficient?" Not, "do we really need this?"

ITALIAN926

60% "interested" doesnt mean a 60% adoption and penetration rate.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to Razoul
said by Razoul:

elray and ITALIAN926 are to be believed then we have no need for fiber. Capped cable and DSL are the best things in the world and anyone who questions why mono and duopolies are allowed on something such as last mile internet just hate the freedom we Americans have and they prove that our unregulated internet infrastructure has no problems with greedy corporations or anything like that and the customers don't need anything more than 3mbit DSL anyways.

Looks like there's actually an interest in a product that provides something more than the pathetic offerings Comcast, AT&T and others provide for high cost with low offering on all fronts. Who knew?

Do not confuse "need" with "want" (demand).

That said, I've never, ever, been opposed to overbuilders like Google or Sonic attempting to offer fiber, so long as they play by the same rules as anyone else would have to. My objections are primarily focused on those who would form Munis, using the public purse to subsidize service (forever), and in doing so, take the incumbents' franchises without compensation.

If Google can sell 60% of its footprint at $70/month for broadband, that's fantastic - more power to them. Likewise for Sonic and Surewest, if they can deliver 50M+ for $50/month or less, to more than a zipcode or two.

We'll see - if Google stays in the ISP business, and whether they expand Fiberhood. We'll see - if (hopefully) Sonic survives their foray into the Streets of San Francisco.

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada

2 recommendations

reply to nrobot80

said by nrobot80:

The big boys are going to do everything in their power to block Google from spreading nationwide. From what history shows almost everything Google puts their hand on turns to gold, does the word Andriod ring a bell. The US invented the internet as we know it today but we are near the bottom when it comes to speeds compared to other industrialized countries. Having traveled to Europe and Asia in last year or so I've been able to download music in 30 seconds or less, stream video without buffering, and surf the net with ease thanks to fiber. I for one would love to see Google go nationwide with their product and give some real competition to the incumbent ISPs and offer real broadband for a value.

Actually almost nothing google does turns to gold.... They have thier hits for sure, but most of their stuff is a flop. Google power, google docs has been meh, they've pretty much destroyed youtube, it's plagued with problems and is now FULL of advertising, google wave, buzz

They've had their hits, "google", android, earth, and they've been very succesful at a lot of ventures, but far from everything they touch turns to gold.

we'll see how fiber does. It won't go national.