dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-11 09:05:20: While a few paid (by Microsoft and AT&T) pundits like Scott Cleland have insisted demand won't be there for Google Fiber, a new survey unsurprisingly finds that Kansas City locals are thrilled about the possibility of symmetrical 1 Gbps for $70. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth to Smith6612

to Smith6612

Re: I just want Fiber

Zayo Bandwidth installed a dark fiber line along a US highway not 5 miles from me. My family wants to move (old house in need of too many repairs) and I'd be more than willing to convince them to relocate just down the road if Zayo didn't want around $150/month for 100mbit. Even that is a bit much, though they don't mind if I resell the bandwidth. I'm sure I could sell a few neighbors 30mbit connections at the same price Frontier charges for 6mbit. They'd be thrilled!

It all annoys me a bit. There is SO MUCH FIBER in our country from the 1990s and so little of it is lit. If ISPs had real incentive to expand fiber, VDSL, and other 20+mbps connections to consumers, this country wouldn't be so far behind.

SDUB
@spcsdns.net

SDUB to they call me

Anon

to they call me

Re: $64.90 for 50Mbps....

My ISP offers 50/10 for 80 bucks a mouth thats what im on.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Xioden

to Xioden

Re: If people like

said by Xioden:

And can be payed over the course of 12 months, for $25 a month, at which point it's free and you pay nothing from that point on.

For the seven years that Google has committed to stay in KC.

Not a bad deal by any measure.

But not free.
elray

elray to vp71inet

to vp71inet
said by vp71inet:

Whatever business is it that your are in or run, etc, it sounds to me like a hope from you that Google does not stay in the ISP business.

Why would a company do something this disruptive and at great cost if it does not intend to ensure it's continuity to pay back for itself and to grow profits for the future? The downside that you appear not to have expected, is the 60% interest that can translate into unprecedented demand this early in any deployment. If I were Google and assuming that this was very successful and moreover profitable and contribute to advancement of my core business I would sure as hell be looking to burn up other Cities with Fiberhood!.

I have no desire to see Google exit the ISP business. I have no dog in the fight. I am only concerned, as an investor and taxpayer, that Google, other over-builders all play by the same rules - likewise for Munis, NGOs, non-profits, coops and public utilities.

One should note that the "60%" figure only the results of a survey - wherein answers are highly dependent on how you phrase the questions. It does not, in any way, represent actual sales of $70/month broadband. Far from it. Interest is not demand.

If you posed a similar survey in "Fios-qualified territories" six years ago, I submit you would have seen similar answers.

But we're only in the parking lot, the first quarter of the game hasn't started. Google could certainly surprise us and offer a middle-tier like Surewest/Sonic, 100M for $50, and/or a TV package for substantially less than $120/month.

So long as Google isn't violating anti-trust laws, isn't in effect, buying favorable treatment from the city, the city isn't violating the MSO and telco franchises or the takings clause, I wish them the best of luck. Their mere threat/presence will make Cableco offer up some sweet deals for pay-tv bundles.

But Google has a habit of abandoning things without comment or explanation. They're really not happy with the idea of ... doing customer service. After a while of being regulated like a telco, cableco and ISP, and after they're "forced" to wholesale their service, permit servers, and otherwise follow the network-neutrality rules that everyone here fawns over, I do indeed, expect that they will want "out".
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

Chicken and the egg

I like the chicken and the egg comment.

I've always wanted things like HD Voice, HD Videoconferencing, 60fps online TV services, and at least 30fps remote desktop (a.k.a. splashtop)

These things all somewhat exist but aren't very mature because not enough people have access to sufficient bandwidth to make it worthwhile.

I mean, even something like online gaming, we could probably get much better experiences if we had guaranteed 10ms latency to many popular servers. Once superfast connections get popular, developers have a reason to optimize their apps to take advantage of super responsiveness.

It also forces ISPs to build more backhaul to more places. Right now, I have no faith in being able pull more than 4-5mbits consistently from servers that aren't in some efficient setup that puts servers close to me (like netflix or youtube).
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to tschmidt

to tschmidt

Re: Puzzling.

said by tschmidt:

The scary thing is we are only talking about $200 billion or so to wire up the entire country with fiber. A lot of money to be sure but given Google's track record it would not be all that hard for them to come up with that level of investment.

/tom

The figure is closer to $500 billion, especially its done on a national basis (~110 million doors @ $4K per). If any of this is pushed with federal dollars, the cost will go up, not down.

While the expenditure may be preferable to another unilateral decision from the White House to open up another front or three without even consulting Congress, it is still unnecessary.

Better to let us keep our money and decide for ourselves how to spend it. If we're willing to pay for broadband, it will come.
Expand your moderator at work
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

Crusty to antdude

to antdude

Re: I wonder how many are willing to move/relocate...

said by antdude:

... to get Google's fiber. :P

Heh...once my kiddo gets out of school and if i can find a job (or work remote) with my employer up there, I will relocate just for google fiber.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4