dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-11 12:27:13: With the entertainment industry's oft-delayed "six strikes" anti-piracy plan finally very close to launch, some ISPs have been willing to talk a little about the new steps they'll be taking to thwart pirates on their networks. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

saneblane
@199.192.224.x

saneblane

Anon

Is this some kind of joke?

Verizon could care less about piracy, but they would use any excuse not to upgrade their network. And how in the hell are they going to find these so called pirates?. Next thing you know, when you go over a certain usage that they deemed is acceptable, you are going to be branded a "pirate".Every time I think this country can't sink any lower, it does.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned)

Much lawsuites incoming

Many internet connections are shared which will punish innocent people.
The fee is ridiculous, let riaa and mpaa pay for thier own kangaroo court.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

LMAO

Thottled to 256k?? Awwww, the leeches will have to WAIT for their shows and movies. Boo Hoo.
ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to saneblane

to saneblane

Re: Is this some kind of joke?

Verizon (or any other MSO) doesnt care about piracy when it erodes their TV revenues? Wake up.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

Re: LMAO

said by ITALIAN926:

Thottled to 256k?? Awwww, the leeches will have to WAIT for their shows and movies. Boo Hoo.

Torrents are for the uneducated huddled masses. Full-speed Usenet is infinitely superior, period.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Considering..

Could be worse. Could be 3 strikes and you are out like Mediacom. For life.
silbaco

silbaco to gaforces

Premium Member

to gaforces

Re: Much lawsuites incoming

Shouldn't share your connection. It is against the terms anyway.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to silbaco

MVM

to silbaco

Re: Considering..

said by silbaco:

Could be worse. Could be 3 strikes and you are out like Mediacom. For life.

Well, since after the 6th strike, they do absolutely nothing, cutting it to 3 strikes would actually be better for the repeat offender accused.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Simple Fix!

TOR
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One

Re: Considering..

In that sense, yes. Although Mediacom cuts you off entirely and blacklists your social security number so you can never subscribe again.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Simple Fix!

BTGuard. It's not free but considering the benefit it pays for itself after the first few torrents.

I love it.

Dave
Expand your moderator at work

saneblane
@199.192.224.x

saneblane to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926

What revenue is piracy harming for Verizon?

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua

Premium Member

Punished by Verizon?

I need to pay Verizon $60 per month to be punished by them? Screw that.
Angrychair
join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

Angrychair to saneblane

to saneblane

said by saneblane :

Verizon could care less about piracy

Really? Just curious, but how much less?

keef
@verizon.net

keef

Anon

Contract Change?

I don't pirate stuff, but does anyone know if this will make Verizon change their contract terms with customers (as in customers having to re-commit or reject the contract changes)?

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Angrychair

to Angrychair

LOL, I always correct my wife on that, it should be stated as " COULDNT care less" , but peoples lips are lazy.

Kulasperu
@westernasset.com

Kulasperu

Anon

Who Decides?

So does Verizon detects who's doing the pirating or does the RIAA/MPAA notify Verizon?
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

This is gonna blow up on their face...

Sell people high speed Internet, then send them back to 90's speeds. Sounds like a fool proof plan to me...

ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926 to saneblane

to saneblane

TV !
Angrychair
join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

Angrychair to keef

to keef

Re: Contract Change?

said by keef :

I don't pirate stuff, but does anyone know if this will make Verizon change their contract terms with customers (as in customers having to re-commit or reject the contract changes)?

Awww, that's sweet. You think that you have any sort of recourse besides cancelling your monopoly service provider.

Just so you know, I can't ever recall a terms of use agreement that didn't allow them to simply change it on their own whim whenever they felt like it with no need for your consent.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

It may be slightly problematic, but not as much as you think.
With the crazy pricing structures and promotional plans, tv doesn't cost much more when compared to only subscribing to internet service. It's only $30 more for me to get the full triple play with a whole home dvr and a hd box.

I have their phone service mostly because if you downgrade to the double play and forget phone, it actually costs $10 more because I lose all of my dvr and box savings. their plans are designed to make you get the triple play and if you get internet only your suffering with a much less convenient tv watching experience compared to piracy and their still getting most of the money as internet by itself is extremely expensive as a stand alone product.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Promotions are temporary. What % of cable TV customers do you believe are in promotions? They make their money when promotions are up.
ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Kamus

to Kamus

Re: This is gonna blow up on their face...

... nothing to worry about if people follow the laws.

MovieLover76
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

to ITALIAN926

None of the smart ones lol (just joking), I switch back and forth, or threaten to and get another promotion every time my promotion is up If you don't have alternatives to threaten to leave for it's a different story.

But you have a point most tv subscribers probably are not on a promotion.
MovieLover76

MovieLover76 to Kulasperu

to Kulasperu

Re: Who Decides?

It's probably the RIAA/MPAA.
This is their baby.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

Re: This is gonna blow up on their face...

said by ITALIAN926:

if it still exists a year after it's introduced I'll be surprised...

MovieLover76
Cherry Hill, NJ

to ITALIAN926
Really? what about if your accused falsely? It costs $35 to prove even have a chance to plead that your innocent.

Seems pretty backwards to me.

TheHelpful1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 recommendation

TheHelpful1 to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Really? How about the law of due process in the constitution? They are making you pay a fee to prove your innocence when it should be the accuser who should be paying the toll to a court when they have solid, verifiable information. Comments like yours seriously ruffle my feathers.

And remember, this is copyright infringement, not criminal theft (at least until the EI pads enough people in D.C. to re-write the law in their favor). Its a civil matter, like if Mr. C were to chase after Mr. A to tell him to go tell Mr. B to give him his stuff back. Go tell Mr B. yourself A.Hole.

How would you like it if I were to war-drive to your house, crack your wi-fi and download an inordinate amount of data every night while you are sleeping and sit back and laugh as you get throttled down to 256K? There is no check and balance here to make sure the "offender" is the one who is actually offending.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Youre gonna crack my WPA2 and my mac filtering? Good luck.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next