spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-11 12:27:13: With the entertainment industry's oft-delayed "six strikes" anti-piracy plan finally very close to launch, some ISPs have been willing to talk a little about the new steps they'll be taking to thwart pirates on their networks. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Is this some kind of joke?

And my aunts friend has a sister who knows someone that lives down the street that pirates everything under the sun and never had and never will have a TV subscription.

Expand your moderator at work

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Skippy25

It doesnt matter one bit. My conclusive evidence that ONE CUSTOMER "cut the cord" directly because of pirating proves my statement that piracy erodes profits for the MSO's.

FURTHERMORE, Piracy leads to increased carriage fees in which the MSO's have to pay the stations ! Which leads to even more lost customers, and lost revenue.

now keep on skippin'

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by ITALIAN926:

It doesnt matter one bit. My conclusive evidence that ONE CUSTOMER "cut the cord" directly because of pirating proves my statement that piracy erodes profits for the MSO's.

But if the pirate pays for a $200 broadband package instead of a $50 broadband package and a $100 TV package, is the MSO losing money or profiting on the pirate?

ITALIAN926

He's not

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to silbaco

Re: Considering..

Until tier 2 removes the blacklist to score a sale.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to The Limit

said by The Limit:

Yea, about those "lost" profits. Please provide some evidence of that, otherwise it's all bologna.

Hope you like anecdotes because I smell one coming

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Kulasperu

Re: Who Decides?

If Verizon is smart they will open a new revenue stream too. $100,000 per IP address as a fee for DMCA requests.

I wonder if the movie industry would mass accuse then.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

In that BPON circumstance, pirates would only have to be using 20Mbps simultaneously for saturation. What to do when pirates are streaming content to multiple TV's in the house? What to do when theyre DL'ing/streaming blu-ray quality bit-rates? Cmon.

Pirates are bad for not only the entertainment industry, but the MSO's as well. "Pirates spend more money on media.. bla bla bla" Yea right. They have so much money they feel the need to STEAL , yea, i said it.

Not sure if you follow FIOS closely but BPON is yesterday's news. There are no new BPON installations since 2009-2010 and current BPON networks are continuously being upgraded if capacity on BPON is reaching its limit.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

In that BPON circumstance, pirates would only have to be using 20Mbps simultaneously for saturation. What to do when pirates are streaming content to multiple TV's in the house? What to do when theyre DL'ing/streaming blu-ray quality bit-rates? Cmon.

Pirates are bad for not only the entertainment industry, but the MSO's as well. "Pirates spend more money on media.. bla bla bla" Yea right. They have so much money they feel the need to STEAL , yea, i said it.

Terrible example is terrible.

does streaming legal services at the same rate somehow make the saturation go away? Of course it doesnt.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

Wrong, not only does piracy cause lost TV revenue for Verizon, but those that STEAL obscene amounts of daily data puts them at risk for oversubscription of their CO PON cards, causing slowdowns for everyone.

BPON ~622 Mbps shared by 32 pirates. If all had a 50Mbps plan, well, you do the math.

Sounds to me like they need to upgrade their infrastructure then if it often isn't able to actually provide full service to all subscribers in that area.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Who Decides?

A few hundred per request wouldn't be unreasonable. You need to recieve it, read it, send it to legal, send it back to some other guy to actually pull the information, send it back to legal for the response, etc. Those lawyers don't come cheap, and they have to make sure that the request is valid to protect their customers.

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
reply to ITALIAN926

Oh I see. No hard evidence just OMG THIS GUY I KNOW DOES THIS argument.

Burden of proof is on you. Try again.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

So what you are implying is that people that pirate do so to avoid not paying to watch something. Can you provide proof that those same people would pay to watch the same stuff if it were 100% impossible to get through other means thus making it erode their TV revenues?

So because one refuses to pay for something they are entitled to it anyways? It doesn't matter if no one is losing a dime. If you are supposed to pay for something and you don't want to then you are not entitled to it. If I don't want to pay $8 to see a movie that does not give me a right to sneak into the theater.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Camelot One

said by Camelot One:

said by silbaco:

Could be worse. Could be 3 strikes and you are out like Mediacom. For life.

Well, since after the 6th strike, they do absolutely nothing, cutting it to 3 strikes would actually be better for the repeat offender accused.

yes because totally innocent people will be falsely accused 6 consecutive times.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to jjoshua

Re: Punished by Verizon?

said by jjoshua:

I need to pay Verizon $60 per month to be punished by them? Screw that.

You're not punished if you're not doing anything wrong.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to MovieLover76

Re: This is gonna blow up on their face...

said by MovieLover76:

Really? what about if your accused falsely?

6 times in a row?

It costs $35 to prove even have a chance to plead that your innocent.

Seems pretty backwards to me.

if you get accused of crime to you not have to pay bail and pay for a lawyer?

How about speeding tickets. I get a ticket saying I MUST pay and yet I have even been to court to prove my innocence. The cop is being judge and jury and handing out sentence.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

LOL, you think either of those is that hard to do?

How cute. No wonder you come here arguing the way you do.

How many people are going to have neighbors that can do that? Most neighbors I have are pretty stupid when it comes to technical things.

nothing00

join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY
reply to 88615298

Re: Punished by Verizon?

Really? It didn't cost Verizon anything to implement this?

TSF

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to Skippy25

Re: Contract Change?

They notify you by putting a note on your bill that the terms of use are updated, and you agree to it by continuing to subscribe.

You do not, however, have any chance to actually negotiate terms of use or reject new terms in favor of continuing old terms.

ITALIAN926

reply to serge87

Nah, I dont follow tech news at all. I used an example of BPON to use actual numbers , the concept applies to ANY architecture, whether its GPON, XPON, DSL or cable.

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to The Limit

quote:
Oh I see. No hard evidence just OMG THIS GUY I KNOW DOES THIS argument.

Burden of proof is on you. Try again.
WTF are you talking about? Pirating has caused the cable industry to lose about $50 a month (for basic) due to my UNCLE, and his lack of morals. What kind of evidence would you like, for me to turn him in and get a police report? ONE MAN out of MILLIONS COPYRIGHT INFRINGERS having an impact on the MSO's and entertainment industry. Have you even an ounce of common sense? Even if he was the ONLY ONE DOING IT, ITS STILL EVIDENCE OF LOST REVENUE.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

a game by any other name..

either it's going to make smarter pirates, or it's going to piss off the customer so much they leave..

all of this will be bandied about word of mouth.. so customers might not want to sign up for that 2 year CONTRACT which you trade for a $300 kickback if they're going to do this to you..

going from whack a mole to angry birds... is a game by any other name...

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Camelot One:

said by silbaco:

Could be worse. Could be 3 strikes and you are out like Mediacom. For life.

Well, since after the 6th strike, they do absolutely nothing, cutting it to 3 strikes would actually be better for the repeat offender accused.

yes because totally innocent people will be falsely accused 6 consecutive times.

I'm sure that was meant sarcastically, but I absolutely believe it will happen. Setting aside the technical complications in proving who downloaded a given file, the MPAA has proven time and again that they will claim rights they do not have.
»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013···onsgate/

Even after being singled out by the US Copyright Office for being a shining example of fair use, the guy is STILL fighting to keep his videos up. Do you honestly believe the automated file-a-strike system they plan to use isn't going to repeatedly flag content they don't have the rights?

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

Nah, I dont follow tech news at all. I used an example of BPON to use actual numbers , the concept applies to ANY architecture, whether its GPON, XPON, DSL or cable.

Sorry, but XGPON would NOT be saturated as all 32 users wouldn't be able to max out even if they all subscribed to the 300mb plan and cranked it 100% simultaneously.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 88615298

Re: This is gonna blow up on their face...

said by 88615298:

Most neighbors I have are pretty stupid when it comes to technical things.

Just answered your own question And that's why people will get copyright notices because as you say they're too stupid to setup WPA2 or secure their network.

ITALIAN926

reply to serge87

Really? And all of a sudden file size has limit. Interesting. XPON wouldnt be limited to 300 Mbps anyway.

Dont you think that stolen files get larger as pipes grow?

Trencher

join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON
reply to cdru

*SUPER MEGA LIKE* lol... You hit the nail on the head!

Trencher

Etobicoke, ON
reply to ITALIAN926

Did he raise his internet speed? I pirate all the time.. but I also spend about $3000 a year on video games and movies... I go to the movie theater often... I also have a TV provider... but as I say.. I pirate all the time...

Trencher

Etobicoke, ON
reply to 88615298

If I download a movie that I had no intention of watching if I hadn't downloaded it... was it really a lost sale?