spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-11 17:32:31: HBO has penned a new ten year exclusive deal with Universal to keep the studio's movies out of the hands of competitors like Netflix and Amazon. ..

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

3 recommendations

Vicious circle

If you dont want to pay for HBO, if you cant afford it, if you dislike their streaming option, DONT WATCH IT.

Tired of the underlying message of endorsing piracy, on almost every headline.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

2 recommendations

Re: Vicious circle

said by ITALIAN926:

Then stop reading them.

The point he is trying to make, over, and over, and over again, is that content companies are DRIVING people to piracy with this kind of crap.

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Bullshit ! Stop breaking the damn law. HBO isnt breaking any laws by running their business how they see fit. You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

"Give us your product for PENNIES or we'll just shoplift it anyway." What kind of crap is that? Seriously.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

said by ITALIAN926:

You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

Netflix would seem to prove otherwise.

ITALIAN926

Wow, free Netflix, can you provide a subscription link for me?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by ITALIAN926:

Wow, free Netflix, can you provide a subscription link for me?

I know you can read and understand context, so do it.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

Got it. NO Netflix isnt competing with FREE. Netflix is competing with the MSO's product. Big difference.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

1 recommendation

said by ITALIAN926:

Lost me there BF

His point seemed pretty clear to me. He is willing to pay the $15 a month fee for HBO, just not the $60 a month cable subscription just for the ability to pay another $15 for HBO. Sell him HBO directly for $15, and he will buy.

That business model makes perfect sense. You get someone like Google to build a net player that "tunes" the various networks just like a TV, and let people subscribe to the ones they want. The only reason that isn't happening is that the content companies and the cable companies are all intertwined.
TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by Camelot One:

His point seemed pretty clear to me. He is willing to pay the $15 a month fee for HBO, just not the $60 a month cable subscription just for the ability to pay another $15 for HBO. Sell him HBO directly for $15, and he will buy.

That is an excellent point.

Personally I will NEVER subscribe to a streaming service that also requires me to subscribe to traditional TV (satellite/cable). That completely defeats the purpose of internet streaming in the first place, which is to dump traditional TV in favor of a service that is more portable, flexible, and on-demand.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

said by TheMG:

said by Camelot One:

That is an excellent point.

Personally I will NEVER subscribe to a streaming service that also requires me to subscribe to traditional TV (satellite/cable). That completely defeats the purpose of internet streaming in the first place, which is to dump traditional TV in favor of a service that is more portable, flexible, and on-demand.

The funny thing is for HBO, They would not lose any revenue if people cut the cord and bought HBO Go instead. HBO is already a premium channel that people pay around $15 for on top of their cable bill.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

Cable companies would loose revenue. That would negatively impact HBO/CableCo negotiations.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
I think Camelot One it the nail on the head. Why do I want to pay 60.00 a month for crap I don't want just to pay more for HBO? Last time I checked, you had to subscribe to HBO to get HBO go. Why not just pay for HBOG and stream it on your roku or dvd player? Because big cable doesn't want them to.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
I don't think people will be willing to pay $15 for Netflix and $15 for HBO. At that point you've past the threshold of pain that moves people to piracy. People can, and do compete with free when they provide an simple integrated approach for a decent price.

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Wow, the "competing with free" concept, mentioned again. Why does this exist? Because right now its a pain to get stolen content to those big ole TV's. Just wait till STB's that stream stolen content to TV's are released. (which should be illegal btw)

Netflix has like 20+ million subscribers. Now what % of them do you think came from previous PAY TV companies, what % do you think came from the moral-free Torrent community?

Id like you to build a lemonade stand next to mine, you charge $10 a cup, and at my stand, Im selling it for the rock-bottom price of $0. See how well you do.

Competing with free, what an intelligent concept.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

1 edit

Do you by chance work for the MPAA? If not, you should consider applying for a position. Your blatant closed mindedness and unwillingness to even consider that people are willing to purchase what they want, would make you a perfect fit for the current industry.

And since we have 4 full pages of discussion on a topic you started to say shouldn't be discussed, I will now now bow out. My work here is done.

ITALIAN926

You dont have to work for the MPAA to follow the rules and laws of this country.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
Geez you just don't get it.

There are certain amount of risk, unknowns, and time involved with getting your free product. You have to know where to get the free product (not everyone knows how torrents or newsgroups work). For the non-advanced, there is an increased risk of getting malware or trojans. There are legal ramifications for infringement by downloading or sharing. The media may need to be trans coded to play on your player. The quality of the product is always an unknown.

or

Your mother can pick up many TVs, DVD, Bluray or other devices that will play Netflix. Easily sign up for an account get several options of how to get content (either DVD, BluRay, Streaming or any combination of the three) pricing from $9/month. With that subscription they get an easy to use interface, 0 risk to malware or trojans, 0 infringement liabilities, and a known constant quality with no need to transcode.

So 'free' in this case really isn't 'free' because it comes with 'baggage'. For many many people, this 'baggage' is worth a certain amount money. They would rather pay Netflix a certain rate not to have to deal with the 'baggage' that comes with 'free'. And this is how Netflix is beating 'free' with a paid service (as linked from Sandvine earlier).

The issue is what that price point is for content. At some point the price gets to a point where people are willing to put up with the 'baggage' that comes with 'free'. This has been Karl's point. When the price gets to high, or the technical restrictions become to great, people will no longer be willing to pay for content and go back to getting it from somewhere else.

Now when a STB is widely available that allows Joe User to simply stream torrents directly it will further push the threshold for free vs pay down as it removes some of the 'baggage', but not all. Joe may still be willing to pay to use Netflix just to steer clear of infringement issues. But currently such a STB isn't available.

Premium
West Tenness
said by ITALIAN926:

Got it. NO Netflix isnt competing with FREE. Netflix is competing with the MSO's. Big difference.

Since Netflix has emerged people pirate less. FACT.

ITALIAN926

Citation?
slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
Reviews:
·Charter

said by ITALIAN926:

Citation?

I do

Premium
West Tenness
said by ITALIAN926:

Citation?

According to a publication of internet research company Sandvine, Netflix is helping to fight piracy. Sandvine researched global internet traffic and noticed that torrent traffic decreases when the traffic generated by Netflix increases.

»www.myce.com/news/netflix-respon···c-64722/

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netflix doesn't compete with free? Really? Are you just trolling, or......

torreny69

@rr.com

Since I got Netflix I have pretty much stopped torrenting tv shows

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
Actually, Netflix is competing with free. Let's say you want to watch a film online. You can:

A) Find a torrent to download the film. Now you need to wait for it to download and hope it's a good version and not one that someone shot with a shaky camera snuck into a movie theater. You've also got to hope that you don't download a file containing a virus. Finally, you've got to hope that the MPAA doesn't catch wind of your actions (because, thanks to BitTorrent, you shared the file out while you were downloading it).

or

B) You load the movie up on Netflix.

Option A is free but has many obstacles and dangers. Option B requires payment, but not that much ($8.99 a month) and you're pretty sure to get good quality (and no viruses or MPAA lawsuit letters).

So Netflix is competing with free (piracy) and winning. It's a lot easier to subscribe to Netflix than it is to be a pirate. If the content owners really wanted to destroy piracy, they'd put all their content onto Netflix streaming. Yes, a core group of pirates would remain (nothing would ever dissuade them), but most pirates would just go to the easier, less risky Netflix. (As a side benefit for the content owners, they'd get more money.)
--
-Jason Levine

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

The problem here is that you are applying logic to idiots. The MPAA companies still believe that getting $20 a movie from 10 people, and bitching about piracy costing them more sales, is somehow better than selling movies to 1000 people for $2 each.

It is the same issue the RIAA went through over $15-$20 CDs to a few people, or 99c tracks to millions.

ITALIAN926

Heres logic for ya Mr. Brain. If everyone pirated, there would be no money to make movies and shows. Move along now, nothing to see here.
Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Really? I am pretty sure people made movies and entertained well before there were millions and billions to be made in the industry.

Same with music, same with doctors and same with just about any other industry that provides a service.

Your overall statement that people would just stop doing what they enjoy and know how to do because they can't make millions in it is downright ignorant and against all of history.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
You're absolutely right. I also think the problem with both the RIAA and MPAA is one of control, not piracy. They want control over everything from the creation of the music/movie to where and how the people view it. Technology gives people freedom to watch movies and listen to music in many more ways. It also helps to make the RIAA/MPAA irrelevant which (of course) frightens the heads of the RIAA/MPAA. Therefore, instead of allowing this freedom to drive more sales - and possibly lead to their demise, the RIAA/MPAA try to tighten their control over the technology to slow down any progress and bleed as much money as they can out of the system for as long as they can.

Ironically, had they embraced technology instead of fighting it, the RIAA would have come up with a good online music solution during the Napster era. This would have prevented the whole file-sharing fight before it started and we'd likely be getting all of our movies/TV shows online from MPAA-Net now.
--
-Jason Levine

anakin1138

@electronicbox.net
said by Camelot One:

said by ITALIAN926:

You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

Netflix would seem to prove otherwise.

Don't forget iTunes. iTunes proved otherwise as well with the music industry.
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
I want to rent or buy everything legally. However, I have come across quite a bit of content that I can't get legally, so I looking at getting a VPN account to download it over bittorrent anonymously.
crypt0

join:2012-12-22
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
said by ITALIAN926:

Bullshit ! Stop breaking the damn law.

You are the bullshiter.

17 U.S.C. § 107
quote:
the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

ITALIAN926

LMAO "RESEARCH" used in the context teaching, classroom, and scholarship?. You are RESEARCHING on whether or not you enjoy the movie?

You Pirates are hysterical, truly.

seamore
Premium
join:2009-11-02
said by ITALIAN926:

Bullshit ! Stop breaking the damn law. HBO isnt breaking any laws by running their business how they see fit. You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

"Give us your product for PENNIES or we'll just shoplift it anyway." What kind of crap is that? Seriously.

As i download the most recent Boardwalk Empire

•••••••

DWraith

@comcast.net
For most it isn't about the money. It is about being able to actually watch what you are paying for.
Androidian

join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ITALIAN926:

While I don't necessarily condone it, pirating an HBO show is not something tantamount to shoplifting. In shoplifting, one steals a physical product - which there are finite quantities of - which economically hurts the store owner who purchased the product for resale.

Those who pirate HBO shows (I'm not one of them, BTW) do little to no harm to HBO, as HBO's final product isn't affected... besides most of the folks who pirate this stuff likely wouldn't have bothered purchasing it in the first place (thus no profit would have been made from them).

Now, this isn't justification for pirating products in the slightest... Just my $0.02 on where the shoplifting analogy that you offered breaks down.

•••••••

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

said by Camelot One:

said by ITALIAN926:

Then stop reading them.

The point he is trying to make, over, and over, and over again, is that content companies are DRIVING people to piracy with this kind of crap.

What you are saying as if the Auto industry jacks up the cost of cars, one is justify to steal a car.

Like other If I do not like the cost or lock up, I do not have to subscribe, I can us alternatives like Netflix wait for the dvd or just read a book.
What needs to happen is more people stop subscribing not more threatening blackmail by piracy.

•••••

Premium
West Tenness
I certainly don't endorse piracy but there is no logical reason for HBO to turn down money. If I like HBO's content but I don't feel I should have to first pay $60+ for cable I do NOT want just to pay HBO $15 then I would just do without and deny HBO any money, but others will pirate.

There's a bit of difference between some freeloader pirating HBO because he thinks it should be free and a person pirating HBO who is WILLING to give HBO the SAME money he would give them via a cable subscription, but being denied access because HBO is afraid to embrace the future. Doesn't make it right but I'm certainly more sympathetic.
slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
Reviews:
·Charter

said by 88615298:

I certainly don't endorse piracy but there is no logical reason for HBO to turn down money. If I like HBO's content but I don't feel I should have to first pay $60+ for cable I do NOT want just to pay HBO $15 then I would just do without and deny HBO any money, but others will pirate.

There's a bit of difference between some freeloader pirating HBO because he thinks it should be free and a person pirating HBO who is WILLING to give HBO the SAME money he would give them via a cable subscription, but being denied access because HBO is afraid to embrace the future. Doesn't make it right but I'm certainly more sympathetic.

Does HBO survive on those 15$ sub fees alone, or are they broadcasters throwing them some additional bones to keep their business afloat? Safeguarding their content could show the latter would be true.

Premium
West Tenness

said by slckusr:

Does HBO survive on those 15$ sub fees alone, or are they broadcasters throwing them some additional bones to keep their business afloat? Safeguarding their content could show the latter would be true.

Actually of the $15 one pays for HBO, HBO actually gets about $5. Selling it to me directly they'd actually get $15. HBO also makes money off of DVD and syndication.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06
All of the reports of studies that I've seen have clearly found that the typical person is happy to pay a fair price for content if the owners of the content would simply make it available. Other reports have indicated that those who "pirate" tend to shell out more money for better quality "legal" versions (which I do tend to believe--lots of people prefer the "try before you buy" approach). All of this hysteria about piracy does nothing but waste time and money and leads to complete and thorough violations of everyone's basic human rights ("You linked to pirated content?! OMG!!! 5 years in jail for you!!!" ...screw that).

Copyright law has become ridiculous and has done more to further "piracy" than hinder it.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

1 recommendation

Netflix is the exception to the rule. They've proven that you CAN successfully compete against free. They make this possible by the sheer ease of access to a wide range of content from a single point of access, and supported on multiple devices.

If Universal wants to sell out to HBO through an exclusivity deal, that's just too bad. People will just use the second most convenient means to access Universal's content if they can't get it from legitimate sources like Netflix.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

••••
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
HBO Encourages piracy the longer they delay the deployment of a separate subscription.

If they can do HBO Go outside the US without a cable sub they can certainly do it inside the US. There is no law stating they cannot. It is this protectist bullshit of legacy business models that harms things.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports
Beans

join:2005-07-16
united state

I concure, If I could make money seperatly and with a cable sub, I take both, more money, mo money. I would definetly sign up for HBO GO if it was a seperate service.
elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
I know some of you dodo birds know that HBO and Universal are owned by Comcast and TimeWarner. Now if you think of this as a temporary legal monopoly since our government simply allows this. It's just two buds protecting their turf, and keeping cable artificially relevant.

In the end, I think it is good, because they will just lose as competition takes hold, assuming they don't lobby rules for favoritism, then they deserve to be broken up.

I read some forbes article which compares HBO $15 a month w/ Netflix $15, except that:

1. I don't pay $15, I pay for streaming only which is only $8
2. If I really want a universal movie, then I go off to redbox or stream by paying which is of course what they want.
3. But the more they make me pay 2x (for cable and by the drink), I will simply drop cable and pay by the drink or not at all.
4. It's like they never learned from audio, and they insist repeating the same mistakes. I think they are high off record box office, so they are brazen. Well they should be, until they are not.
5. Just ask your local paper (if you still have one) how that worked out.
Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
said by ITALIAN926:

If you dont want to pay for HBO, if you cant afford it, if you dislike their streaming option, DONT WATCH IT.

Yeah, why don't we all just ignore the fact that technology has made the old distribution model obsolete because it's against the law.

If we had it your way on transportation of goods, we'd still be using canals instead of trains.

Something better came along, i'm over it, you should get over it too.

For those whom might not have gotten my canals vs railroads reference, read this and see if you can find the similarities:

»voices.yahoo.com/railroad-vs-can···882.html

••••
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
Since when was Netflix and Amazon considered piracy?
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

Not everyone pirate's folks

Believe me or don't believe me is your choice but I know of some people in my area that don't have any clue what pirating or torrenting really is and they don't seem really much like the type to be pirating unless there really secretly hiding it in some other state or country for say. Yes I do some myself, i confess but i quit doing movies these days and slowly degrading on doing the same with all the rest like music and game (especially games) but there are so many folks here in this area that don't do it, so mainly its just me(:

Anyway, here with dish and am enjoying some mars attacks and some other great videos.. Only on FREE HBO week, Have fun all and enjoy the free entertainment!
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.
siouxmoux

join:2007-09-25

Once again TPB to the rescues

Than again there nothing really worth watching on Human Body Odor
decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

?

Hbo.. Thats one of the premium movie channels that shows the same crap every day for a month isn't it? No thanks.. If they make something neat i'll buy/rent the series, till then..

Keep it..
cybercrime

join:2011-11-23
Honey Brook, PA

HBO and new movie every saturday

did HBO have a new movie every saturday and they stoped it. and newer movies are not on as much

••••
davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

Future content producers.

I see these cable exclusive deals as not dealing with the future. Scheduled podcasts and streaming will be the normal for new content producers. Maybe by 2020 you will have a potential profitable paying global audience of 500,000,000 households with truly usable high speed internet connections. If you capture 0.1% of that, 500,000 households, you might have a reasonable income stream to continue content production. A cost problem I see is in how you locate the servers you will use to provide reasonably responsive access to your content on a global scale.

A coworkers wife told him to eliminate the cable TV. She was the one dedicated to keeping it, not him. He wanted to cut the cord a year ago. She told him that she was sure she could find plenty of interesting content on the World Wide Web which would cost in total, each month, less than a third of the monthly cable TV bill. She did request moving to the top tier of speed for Cox Cable HSI. They should still be paying only 67% of what they previously did to Cox. Even die hard watchers of content from particular content producers are willing to go to the extreme of having to seek out new content producers. If she is doing it, I do not see how the present exclusives between cable companies and content producers can continue for much longer.

Companies may lock up content behind multiple toll booths, but if people are not willing to pay the very high tolls to watch, what income benefit or wealth do they really have? Is this really benefiting your shareholders?

I cannot watch the movie Airport, or any sequels, on Netflix or HULU. You have to be kidding if you think that is a long term profitable way to manage movie availability.
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Re: Future content producers.

The content owners will determine the distribution methods of the future, unless there is regulation requiring them to make their wares available on some form of wholesale / most-favored-nation pricing scheme. (Sorry to disappoint, I'm not calling for said regulations.)

HBO, Universal, et al, are not interested in your version of the future. Big business is looking to maintain and enhance existing revenue streams - obtained at $15/month ($5+ net) through fixed contracts. They understand predictable rents, not many-to-many relationships.

They are not, I repeat not, as yet interested in doing direct-to-consumer stream sales. The middle- and last-mile and the technology are simply not ready for prime time, and the network-neutrality nonsense only makes it worse, since they can't buy assured delivery.

Yes, there are instances where streaming-based direct sales would work - but not for the majority of the market. No one is going to break from the middle.
old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

Just encourages piracy..

the studios still don't have a clue. If people can't get movies or whatever at a reasonable cost they will pirate it. If I can't find something at a reasonable price I don't bother, but others will just find it on torrents.

syslock
Premium
join:2007-02-03
La La Land

Re: Just encourages piracy..

I don't bother to pirate it. After The Wire, HBOs home brew shows are just so so. No more HBO. I just wait and my local public library will have a box set for me to check out legally for free.

Premium
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY

Pay for HBO?

I have no reason to pay for HBO and I wont pay packaged stuff when the tech is there to not only let me pick the channels that I want, but also how to setup volumes on tracks. So for instance if I don't want to hear the SFX, zero volume. If I don't want to hear the annoying music... zero volume. If I do want to hear the dialog, as if hollywood types are capable of that anymore, that I'll leave up. There's no excuse not to use the tech that's available, and there could be foreign language soundtracks and or subtitles... this stuff is easy... Hollywood is 50 years behind the tech and expecting us to pay $20 to sit in a smelly theatre to watch BS and 30 minutes of commercials.

UNACCEPTABLE!
Get with your itimes, since you love this istuff so much, get with it.

Cacord

@rr.com

Piracy Justified

Are we talking streaming, or DVD as well? I would assume this is only streaming, but who knows. If Universal has an agreement exclusively with HBO, and I cannot get HBO (I do not subscribed to pay TV), then I guess I would feel inclined to find that movie through other, less legal venues. The way this is written, it would seem that even DVD is at stake. If this is the case, then I would certainly get my movies via alternative routes. I already pay $20/month for Netflix, $8/mo for Hulu, I wouldn't then pay ANOTHER $15/month to get more shows... I think other posters had it right, that while it may not be legal, people will justify it somehow. I would loose little sleep with the thought that I am costing the movie industry money, given the excessive income of the higher ups in the industry.

Premium
West Tenness

Re: Piracy Justified

said by Cacord :

Are we talking streaming, or DVD as well? I would assume this is only streaming, but who knows. If Universal has an agreement exclusively with HBO, and I cannot get HBO (I do not subscribed to pay TV),

You CAN get HBO, you CHOSE not to. Which is fine but since you CHOOSE not to you are not inclined to that content.

jcouch93

join:2002-01-29
Marietta, GA

Re: Piracy Justified

What about those of us who DO have subs to all the movie channels and download the shows anyway? Not to share, but to watch when and where I choose. Some of the series that I may not have been into in their beginning may not have the first season(s) on Netflix\Hulu for various reasons, so my alternative is to get them a different way.