dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-11 18:31:22: • China Policy Demands New Residences Have Fiber Optic Connections [ubergizmo.com] • Sprint vs. Dish: Corporate Theater for Our Times [businessweek. ..

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Fiber in China..

The downside is it is majorly censored and now they are taking actions against VPNs.

Not that corporate america doesnt want to see our internet go the China route.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

Re: Fiber in China..

Not that the Federal government doesn't want to see our Internet go the China route.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

they need to finish that data center in Utah first.

I have doubts we will ever see full censorship.

I have no doubts that we will see expansion of data gathering at the hands of three letter agencies. Especially in mobile data, not that they do not already tap Google and Apple for piles of mobile data already.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

The Federal government is increasingly oppressive and dictatorial. I have no doubts that we will see full censorship. It will take a long time but they'll slowly get there in Fairness Doctrine / "Protect the cheeeeeeelren" type steps.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

RE: Comcast launches Xfinity X1 platform in Phila, NJ

Living in NJ, I checked on this tonight. Online chat was no help and sent me to the 1-800-Comcast phone #. After much waiting and checking, I found out that it is available in my area. BUT, you can't get an X1 DVR TV setup unless you are on a Triple Play package and you also have at a minimum the HD Digital Preferred tier.

So Comcast has a much improved online guide, better remote, better search, etc. But you can't get it if you don't pay an arm & leg for the higher end Triple Play packages.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Re: RE: Comcast launches Xfinity X1 platform in Phila, NJ

Not sure where you got your information from but from what I've been hearing a triple play package is not required.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Not sure where you got your information from but from what I've been hearing a triple play package is not required.

Info straight from Comcast Sales.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

My info came straight from the X1 support people. *shrugs*

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

My info came straight from the X1 support people. *shrugs*

I found many references like this both in Comcast forums and in reviews by web sites:
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 6,00.asp

The new UI will only be available to Triple Play customers - those who get voice, TV, and Internet.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 7#M55222

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

What X1 customer and technical support told me was that originally X1 service was only going to be for new triple play customers but because so many current Comcast customers were asking for it, they decided to allow all Comcast subscribers regardless if they were single double or triple packaged available. I was told this at the end of December when I was transferred to the X1 department on the phone (yes they have a dedicated department for X1) because I wanted to find out everything and the regular customer support rep didn't know.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Media Corporate ownership allows profits to control news?

Say it isn't so!

Ah yes, the free press.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Re: Media Corporate ownership allows profits to control news?

Oh yes, it would be much freer if the government controlled it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

They don't have to.

Just work with the Corporations to report it the way they want.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Best government corporations can buy.
skeechan

skeechan

Premium Member

Analysts act like Softbank is the AT&T of Japan

Softbank is the Sprint of Japan, a distant mitsu behind NTT and KDDI. That is why Softbank is here...because their growth in Japan has virtually stopped. In terms of purchasing volume, it isn't going to turn Sprint into a juggernaut that will have handset makers caving on pricing.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: Analysts act like Softbank is the AT&T of Japan

Thank you. I remember the excitement when this deal was first announced about how Sprint would turn into such a great network now that it would be owned by such an "awesome" Japanese carrier. As a current Softbank customer locked into a contract for another 18 months with an absurd ETF, I can only say that I hope Sprint customers are happy

The one thing Softbank has going for it, which it tries to ruin at every turn by deterring BYO handsets and refusing to unlock handsets it sells, is that it's a GSM carrier. My Galaxy Nexus lives comfortably on Softbank's spotty network. The article is probably is correct in that a larger company with more subs will garner better deals with manufacturers.
wvcaver
Premium Member
join:2005-04-17
Millersburg, OH

wvcaver

Premium Member

the 3 stooges

Do we really need ABC , CBS and NBC ?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Re: the 3 stooges

Considering that ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox are the reasons OTA broadcasting is still viable, I'd strongly suggest yes, we still need them.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Or let them die and get reincorporated into another entity that can actually understand how to compete. No, we don't "need" any company in a free market.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Ok, fair enough regarding the "need", but I doubt that the broadcast networks are going anywhere, anytime soon. They're parents are doing just fine.
corinthos
join:2007-10-09

corinthos

Gamefly

It would actually be a decent service if they got the same treatment as netflix. Signing up for their two week trial basically means you get one shipment of games and it is pretty much as soon as you receive and send that one back even if you beat it and shipped it back the first day.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Next gen hardware, your stuff is always old

I don't see why everyone gets their panties in a bunch when hardware vendors release their new hardware. New stuff comes out all the time and you are going to be pissed because you bought Ivy Bridge when obviously Intel will release new processors afterward? Why would it be any different for a phone or tablet? New cars come out every year and some are completely remodeled every few years and they cost 20-100X what the handsets, tablets and other hardware costs yet people don't blow a gasket over it.

Buy hardware knowing it will be "old" in 6 months.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0

Re: Next gen hardware, your stuff is always old

said by skeechan:

I don't see why everyone gets their panties in a bunch when hardware vendors release their new hardware. New stuff comes out all the time and you are going to be pissed because you bought Ivy Bridge when obviously Intel will release new processors afterward? Why would it be any different for a phone or tablet? New cars come out every year and some are completely remodeled every few years and they cost 20-100X what the handsets, tablets and other hardware costs yet people don't blow a gasket over it.

and now you see why there are still windows 98 users
windows 2000 users
windows xp users
windows vista users
windows 7 users
and now you have shiney windows 8 and wonder why it aint doing as well....
tell me what reason do i have to upgrade from windows 7 64 bit to windows 8 other then your trying to rip me off for cash
NO really
funny0

funny0 to skeechan

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

ill add people that buy game consoles are idiots
YES utter idiots
why buy JUST a game machine whenmy pc does all your game machine can and guess what I CAN PHYSICALLY take out a grpahics card say my gtx640 and put in a quadro 6000
then i can play music
watch videos
WHICH the above two can also be done with the latest updateable codexes for video and audio thus again im updateable
then i got ability to not only have opensource applications for free BUT i can write my own or if im lazy buy commerical ones
then i get to chat and use it like a telephone and even can stream via somehting like netflix OR even create my own video games , music and applications

BOY can i buy a console for the same price now? BOY being smart isnt that hard....try it get a bang for your buck we in canada still have a blank media levy....

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

...Because the entire console costs less than a decent video card these days and unlike most other hardware in the marketplace consoles supported for 6+ years. Try playing any new PC title with a 6+ year old PC on anything other than its lowest settings. Sure, you can keep it up do date by throwing an endless supply of money at it but that is my point; PCs are "old" as soon as you get one together. There is ALWAYS a next gen display adapter or processor around the corner. My i7-3770 is already old news and it's what, 9 months old? Haswell will be here to obsolete it in a couple of months. The PS3 is 6 years old and going strong and the XBOX 360 now 7. More bang for the buck from consoles. Sure the PC gaming experience is better, but not 5-10 (or even more) times the price better.

Hello23
@sbcglobal.net

Hello23

Anon

Ills add multiplayer gamer experience is in console better (as long as you're fluent with joystick, going from keyboard+mouse to game pad sucks. It's difficult to control, shooting games the hardest when u have only experienced players playing even on most basic combat training levels.
corinthos
join:2007-10-09

corinthos to funny0

to funny0
To play with friends. Plus game consoles are cheap so its not like its putting you out any to buy one and the occasional game unless the person is poor.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

China Fiber.

If their was no censorship I would be fine. Please come to Canada.