dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-13 17:16:57: The weekend has mercifully arrived. Deposit your most interesting thoughts into the comment section below. Or just post pictures of cute kittens and puppies. Or just rant incoherently about something nobody will find interesting in any way whatsoever. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx

Rolling the Dice

On Saturday I going to attempt and Windows 8 install on a Intel DP35DP with core 2 dou from an XP system.

I have a lot of hesitation about this, I will be using anew 500 GB disk and reinstalling Windows, since I heard the Update application will not allow me to make an ISO disk.

The worst is I reinstall XP, hold out of a copy of windows 7 when I do my liquidation to Ebay thing. ( I bu stuff at business liquidation sales and resell on eBay or keep it for example bought a full Office 2007 for $10.00 on the last day)

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Comcast tech was not happy

I had another Comcast tech out tonight and he could see noise on the line and the supervisor blamed his meter. And I showed him screenshots of the timeouts and uncorrectables.

He was angry and not at me. The supervisor came out and a neighbor (as usual) came out and said her TV was acting up. There is something going on with the lines. Comcast just does not seem to be able to fix the problem.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 recommendations

FFH5

Premium Member

Check out these amazing pics in this slideshow

Check out these amazing 49 pics in this slideshow:
»izismile.com/2012/06/29/ ··· s-1.html

Bach
Premium Member
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

Bach

Premium Member

Rant

I'm down the basement on my primary PC, and some cat outside the window keeps wailing mating calls.

Do I look like a cat? I don't think so. Either that or he sees the picture of Nielson's "Fat Cat" hanging on my wall.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

NoHereNoMo

Cats follow their nose more than their eyes, esp. with regard to "mating" (if that's the case here). You could probably find something to spray the area with (local pet store, Lowes/Home Depot, online) which will dissuade the cat(s) from coming back.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

1 edit

tkdslr

opendns... blocked dslreports.com

Why.. on earth.. I do not know..

Thusly, I shifted to another dns server.. that belongs to my hosting service..
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Comcast tech was not happy

that is pretty bad when a supervisor thinks even comcast owned testing equipment is faulty just so he does not have to issue a ticket to plant engineering.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Am I the only one?

Who gets pissed when you're in traffic, a 2 lane road merges to one, 90% of the drivers know this so they stay on the lane that doesn't have to merge left but yet you see some "drivers" drive all the way to the end of the lane and forcefully merge themselves?

I got fed up today. saw 30 cars in front of me on the left lane and a few folks trying to forcefully merge themselves driving on the right lane so I took up both lanes putting that to a end. The traffic was at a crawl which is why I decided to do this.

Im sure if you were on the left lane, you might of been a bit happy to see this but if you were on the right lane trying to pass ALL OF US UP, you were probably a bit pissed at me.

Id like to give a shout out to the 18 wheeler that was on the right lane for completely blocking the right lane. After that people stopped trying to merge at the end.

Of course all the scenarios vary. People decided to use the back roads to pass up the traffic on the main highway which caused more traffic on the road I use to go home. On a normal day there is no line of cars.

Oh and I dont block the shoulder lane after it merges to one lane. If you want to ride the shoulder, feel free to pick up all the nails you want.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

The Hobbit - A Canadian Journey

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· PT00r7VQ

backfeed
is giving feedback
join:2002-12-16
Peru, IN

backfeed to tkdslr

to tkdslr

Re: opendns... blocked dslreports.com

You can add a domain to allow if you need to, but I have been using Open DNS for years with no issues, I would guess it is a "glitch"???

good luck...

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx

Re: Rolling the Dice

Don't do it!
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop to Duramax08

to Duramax08

Re: Am I the only one?

I recall several years ago we were on a trip and came upon some construction on the interstate that forced traffic down to one lane (inside lane). Some folks got in a hurry and started to pass us all on the median, however when it came time (because of equipment) to get back on the highway, all of us decided that they could wait, well the big surprise was the state trooper that was giving out tickets like candy to those on the median. He had at least 7 or 8 stopped and more coming to join.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

People like you...

vimeo.com/28216320

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Bach

Premium Member

to Bach

Re: Rant

And it ain't even mating season for cats. The females tend to go into heat in the early spring and kittens are usually born late April to June.

Somebody needs to get their cat fixed considering the unfortunate amount of cats and dogs that get put down in shelters. My cat is fixed, as unneutered male cats give landlords an excuse to keep the deposit because they spray.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Scatcatpdx to Dustyn

to Dustyn

The problem is I going have to got to someday or another. I have XP. After I hard all the flack about how bad Visata was then find most most of criticism was hype when I got a vista laptop. I have trust problem with pundits and tech types. I cannot trust nobody but my own opinion.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

Do it!
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Re: go

z

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
Portland, OR

1 edit

Scatcatpdx

Never mind, xp disk I have is only an upgrade disk I thought its was a full disk, will it looks I off to buy an OEM Win 7 disk. I no trashing my old disk

I found a work a round using Acronis to clone my old disk so far no problem upgrading to Windows 8.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Check out these amazing pics in this slideshow

Why does a seahorse care what time it is?
CXM_Splicer

CXM_Splicer to Austinloop

Premium Member

to Austinloop

Re: Am I the only one?

I saw something like that in NJ once except instead of the median, people were getting on a long off-ramp then jumping back on the highway. There were 2 cops waiting for them as they crossed a double white line to get back on. They had to pull over and wait their turn to get their ticket. hahaha

Discourteous drivers are aggravating as hell when you are sitting in traffic... one of the few things I get mad about.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008 to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx

There's no dice roll. Windows 8 is fast, literally loads everything quicker, plays games with more fps (Only around 5, but it's still faster), and it's.. got a start screen. Oh noes!

I don't get why people hyperventilate over a menu being turned into a screen. Just remember the go to the top left and bottom left corners, and the right corner to access the charm bar. That's it.

dliw
Premium Member
join:2003-03-09
Elsewhere

dliw to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Check out these amazing pics in this slideshow

Stunning!

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 edit

1 recommendation

Metatron2008 to Bach

Premium Member

to Bach

said by Bach:

Do I look like a cat?

The hair is definately furry. Maybe the cat wants it Bach?
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx

Well if you want an opinion of a non geek go with 8.

I loved XP, but it aged, and I loved 7 even more as it was such an easy install.

But updates suck all the fun out of loading an OS.

Because the drivers are eventually wrong, the hardware is eventually a hassle and a newer OS is usually a lot less pain.

The new 'look' of 8 is easy enough to avoid even for a non geek.
But the best part is the install is no different than 7, but without a couple of years of update baggage and aging drivers.

Unless of course you find the post install, update and driver hunt portion to be enjoyable.

Anyone that can't install 8 and avoid all the 8ness of the OS likely shouldn't be installing any OS on a machine to begin with.
Sukunai

Sukunai to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn

Re: The Hobbit - A Canadian Journey

Pity it was so short, I wanted a bit more
Sukunai

Sukunai to Bach

Premium Member

to Bach

Cats hate oranges, a simple solution is peel an orange enjoy the orange, leave the peelings in the window, and the cat will not like the spot any more.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

How About A Laugh?

»www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50437086/
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai

Premium Member

The future of gaming, (any gaming)

Just curious here.

Ok this is not a PC gaming, nor a console gaming or hand held gaming or even gaming on doodads like tablets post.

I am just wondering, does anyone periodically wonder how long the industry as a whole can continue to expect the market to always find money for the next device?

I have a PS3, I bought one of the earlier generations. It works fine, but it is not really a game machine, I got it because it was here before just about any other option existed to play blueray and interact with the household media needs for the TV.

I have no real need for a new generation machine. PS4? I would be very unlikely to care what it might be able to do. And I go to the game store regularly as a means of having someplace to walk to, and say hello to the friend that manages it. And every day it is the same thing, nothing has changed in PS3 gaming. More of the same, it never really matters what is there (to me).

I have a Nintendo DSi XL, and I must confess, I thought the new 3DS XL might be at least worth it, but the screen is the same size, and I don't play mine to death, so it is not like it is worn out or anything. So odds are I am not in the market for the games either.
But the games, they look so much like just more of the same. And when I consider all the games they made that predate the 3DS, it is not easy to really care if you miss out on 3DS needing games.

I admit it freely, I likely should have bought a 7 inch tablet instead of a 10 I still like my 10 inch Asus, but I recently bought a Nexus 7, and it is likely the more portable and more logical purchase. I suspect I thought too much of the notion of reading 8.5x11 sized books in near full size.

The games being made for these things are short and sweet and most assuredly not all that expensive. It sure makes me poder the real value of the more expensive game portion of the market.

But even with them being very handy and the games being very affordable, I have to wonder, how often do they think they can re invent the same device and then expect to find a market to sell them to?
I paid 300 bucks for the Nexus 7 (32 gig), but I recognize I was being impulsive and also likely stupid. And I sure can't do that too often either.

I am about spent here. I don't need a new PC, I don't need more data storage, I don't need a new laptop. I don't need a new console, nor a new hand held game toy and I sure hope the wife doesn't kill me for getting the second tablet

The games played on them though have such an utter sameness to them. I wouldn't even have a tablet at all, if they didn't make the most cool writing devices (I like using Supernote cursive style). They are great for books, but in truth, I have found I like reading an actual book more, even if it weighs more and I can only have one with me. They are ok for web browsing, provided you have a wifi source and I prefer that source be a free one, as I just don't have the cash for a cell plan option.

But most of the great PC games, need a PC, and most of the great PC games have become so utterly cloned looking. My teen son seems to be more inclined to use a game as a reason to chat than to play the game half the time I see him doing anything.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Re: Comcast tech was not happy

Unless the supervisor is rewarded for lowering plant ticket counts. Perhaps he thinks it will go away if he stalls long enough and then he'll get a slightly larger monthly incentive reward (whatever that is).

I'm not excusing his actions but incentive abuse can cause companies to do things that are counterproductive.

scottymead
join:2007-07-29
Post Falls, ID

scottymead to rradina

to rradina

Re: How About A Laugh?

Thanks for the laugh... LOL
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next