dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-14 08:53:23: As we've noted, AT&T's recently announced U-Verse upgrades are less significant than the company's recent announcement made it appear, given the "expansion" involves simply pushing U-Verse out to an additional 3 million or so users they'd already int.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

1 recommendation

bbeesley

not surprising

I predicted this a paper I wrote on wireless technologies for my Master's four years ago.

The cost of getting a drop to the home is one of the significant hurdles to any company wishing to deliver services.

Given the potential capabilities of LTE, there isn't any reason why you can't deliver multi-megabit services to the end user if investment in the development of the technology continues and there is little reason to believe it won't

That is why AT&T and Verizon capped their U-Verse and FIoS expansions, to focus on LTE. It gives them a real competitive ability against HFC without the need for expensive wholesale network expansions.

Add into this that we are becoming increasingly mobile with our data and entertainment and a technology like LTE - or whatever comes next - makes more sense than continuing to build fixed infrastructure to homes.

The future is one of high speeds, anywhere, anytime, on any device.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Follow suit

quote:
The end goal is to "extend (U-Verse) from 75 percent of the footprint to 99 percent of the footprint [and] we're going to be using LTE for some of that broadband
Now only if Verizon did the same with FiOS. Melt down the costly copper and get all their customers outve the 19th century. When they finally did this, and realized that long-term profits are a GOOD THING, they can even bleed out of their current geographic bounderies into non-VZ wireline areas.

Ah, its nice to dream.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

AT&T are copycats

They just be copying Verizon's HOMEFUSION.

and i'm sure it would be outrageously priced (as if Verizon's wasn't already).....
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

To At&t and Verizon..

You people must nuts!! No way, I'm going to pay that much.

Get the price down to a one dollar per Gigabyte, only then will you have a product worth purchasing.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned) to bbeesley

to bbeesley

Re: not surprising

Please. This is a really bad joke at best. LTE is not a real alternative to wireline services at all with those insane caps and ridiculous pricing. But even if they did offer something reasonable the performance of the network would go to shit once it is loaded down with that many users. This wouldn't even remotely compete with HFC, not even close.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to bbeesley

Premium Member

to bbeesley
said by bbeesley:

I'd like to agree, but I'm sorry: at $60 for a 10 GB maximum per month, that future is a total non-starter.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

Wireless Pricing

Fixed LTE should only be used as a dial-up or satellite replacement. I heard a Verizon sales rep at my local mall trying to talk someone into HomeFusion and I couldn't understand why. It's not a viable option for most people in suburban areas anyway.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to banditws6

to banditws6

said by banditws6:

said by bbeesley:

I'd like to agree, but I'm sorry: at $60 for a 10 GB maximum per month, that future is a total non-starter.

I agree, someone with a degree or false degree made it look good on paper. But in reality with everything becoming data intensive 10 gigs is just a joke.. Specially with the $15 per gig over rape fee. Hell, my daughters Nabi2 constantly streams something when connected to the wifi... Its rediculas!
sides14
join:2007-11-29
Peoria, AZ

sides14 to bbeesley

to bbeesley
I would have to disagree. There are existing easements in which providers can easily upgrade service to the home. Wireless coverage will improve, but what is the greatest hurdle in expanding wireless service? It isn't the shortage of spectrum, but it is the "not in my back yard" attitude regarding the construction of new cell sites. You cannot add a significant number of new wireless devices without decreasing the cell footprint and increasing cell sites. You can add all of the spectrum that you want, but higher cell density would be the only way that this can be successful.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to 34764170

to 34764170
The point isn't to compete with HFC though. UVerse proper can't e en do that right now. The point is to serve customers who don't have cable plant access.
iansltx

iansltx to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

Re: Follow suit

You've heard of HomeFusion, right?

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Doubt this will fly

My guess is that the places where this will be most capable already have solid CableTV infrastructure. Thus, it won't be competitive. And the places where people would consider this (outside of major areas) won't have the cellular density or network bandwidth to support it being any better than what is already there.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to iansltx

to iansltx

Yea, and? what
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx

said by iansltx:

The point isn't to compete with HFC though. UVerse proper can't e en do that right now. The point is to serve customers who don't have cable plant access.

The person I was replying to specifically mentioned competing with HFC. U-Verse can't at the moment but with their upgrades it will be able to. I know what it is intended to do but it is still a complete joke.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926

Expensive to say the least. Not practical for many folks without paying a fortune for the data.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to bbeesley

to bbeesley

LTE to the home is a move made for purely profit.

First of all they can try to sell it to the public as a replacement for their aging dsl lines in areas they don't want to upgrade because they aren't profitable enough and they can stop maintaining the dsl lines.

Second for the few people who don't have access to cable they can make big profits over LTE with very low caps and overages.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926

I still have no doubt Verizon will expand their FiOS eventually. But they are not going to do it before they feel they do not have a choice.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to 34764170

to 34764170

By the time UVerse gets upgraded, cable will have upstream bonding turned on, and the arms race begins again.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester

Wireless Bandwidth question

If every copper wired DSL, including U-verse, connection in the USA is abandoned in favor of wireless,
is there enough wireless bandwidth available to meet the demand?

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to 34764170

to 34764170

said by 34764170:

Please. This is a really bad joke at best. LTE is not a real alternative to wireline services at all with those insane caps and ridiculous pricing.

Caps and pricing have nothing to do with the capabilities of the technology

As the market continues to evolve and adoption and use increases, price will come down as it did with DSL and Cable.
bbeesley

bbeesley to sides14

to sides14
said by sides14:

You cannot add a significant number of new wireless devices without decreasing the cell footprint and increasing cell sites.

This is being addressed by the increased use of micro, pico and femto-cells

we will continue to see more small cell deployments as a mechanism to fill in the gaps
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to decifal7

to decifal7
said by decifal7:

said by banditws6:

said by bbeesley:

I agree, someone with a degree or false degree made it look good on paper. But in reality with everything becoming data intensive 10 gigs is just a joke.. Specially with the $15 per gig over rape fee. Hell, my daughters Nabi2 constantly streams something when connected to the wifi... Its rediculas!

Actually it's $10 per GB overage with HomeFusion. At least get your facts correct.

88615298 (banned) to ssavoy

to ssavoy

Re: Wireless Pricing

said by ssavoy:

Fixed LTE should only be used as a dial-up or satellite replacement.

That's who the main competition will be. No one that has access to wired internet would take this over cable.

88615298 (banned) to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB

Re: Doubt this will fly

you do realize Verizon has already been doing this for a year now.
sides14
join:2007-11-29
Peoria, AZ

sides14 to bbeesley

to bbeesley

Correct, but they they still need backhaul. Even if it is a femto, it still requires residential broadband to support. How many customers are going to want to use their broadband connection with enforced caps when the usage still goes against the subscribers allowable wireless usage. Not many.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to bbeesley

to bbeesley
LTE - Advanced is what they should of went with but then again they wouldn't be able to say they got congestion issues! lol
Cobra11M

Cobra11M to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB

Re: Doubt this will fly

said by dnoyeB:

My guess is that the places where this will be most capable already have solid CableTV infrastructure. Thus, it won't be competitive. And the places where people would consider this (outside of major areas) won't have the cellular density or network bandwidth to support it being any better than what is already there.

Between Sat and This people will chose the better option.. lets face it Sat isn't as reliable as it should be but not to say it hasn't gotten better in the last few years. LTE for those people would prob be better than sat (both of which has low caps anyways but surprisingly the caps are getting better slowly) Cable on the other hand wont go to rural areas unless theirs a certain amount of people their and if its profitable.. that is why you don't see Cable trying..

In any case I hate it just as much as the next person but hey LTE is a better option (SAT companies will lower because of it)
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to Tobester

to Tobester

Re: Wireless Bandwidth question

I don't think there's enough backbone bandwidth to accommodate what they want. They don't care about oversubscribing the system though. The telco's want to abandon their copper infrastructure for obvious reasons but don't want to pay the money to upgrade the entire footprint to fiber. If everything was fiber based, their maintenance costs would be significantly lower and they could have a network capable of so much more. But today it's all about making money for their investors and they don't want to invest ANYTHING into their network that doesn't have huge profit margins
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx

said by iansltx:

By the time UVerse gets upgraded, cable will have upstream bonding turned on, and the arms race begins again.

Cable with upstream channel bonding isn't really competing on the upstream side.

34764170 (banned) to bbeesley

to bbeesley
said by bbeesley:

said by 34764170:

Please. This is a really bad joke at best. LTE is not a real alternative to wireline services at all with those insane caps and ridiculous pricing.

Caps and pricing have nothing to do with the capabilities of the technology

As the market continues to evolve and adoption and use increases, price will come down as it did with DSL and Cable.

I never said it did. That is pretty obvious.

But no one is going to take it seriously with the caps and rates they're trying to push these services with.
page: 1 · 2 · next