dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-14 14:39:00: T-Mobile’s Chief Technology Officer Neville Ray has confirmed that T-Mobile's LTE network is expected to launch within a few weeks, with Las Vegas expected to be the first launch market. ..

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

While vast areas of their network remain EDGE and GPRS

T-Mobile, I think you have a problem. Not to mention losing over a million post paid customers last year, oops.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

Re: While vast areas of their network remain EDGE and GPRS

said by RR Conductor:

T-Mobile, I think you have a problem. Not to mention losing over a million post paid customers last year, oops.

While I am not with T mobile , it's great that they are making progress. Good for them! and for people who live in cities like me in NYC , T Mobile for many of my friends seems good.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
While 1/3 of country can't even get ANY kind of T-Mobile service. That's why I find T-Mobile's "nationwide" claims amusing.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

The east coast gets it. The west coast gets it. Medium sized and larger cities in the central US get it. So they are technically nationwide.

That said, they're somewhere between Sprint and CricKet/MetroPCS in terms of just how nationwide they actually are. There's a reason that I don't have a T-Mobile phone, and it's not because they're bad where I spend 80% of my time...it's because the other 20% is crucial.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
if you haven't noticed, the US is freaking huge. Only one carrier has coverage "nationwide" and that would be Verizon. Get over yourself. T-Mobile is good enough for quite a few people.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by ArrayList:

if you haven't noticed, the US is freaking huge. Only one carrier has coverage "nationwide" and that would be Verizon. Get over yourself. T-Mobile is good enough for quite a few people.

if one company can do it ALL can do it.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by ArrayList:

if one company can do it ALL can do it.

And i choose to pick the company that DOESN'T do it, and i get charged accordingly. If i wanted 4g LTE in "the dust bowl states" as the t-mobile ceo talked about with verizon, i would have been with them. I'm not. I don't understand why complete strangers bitch about the choice of other strangers phone companies. Kinda a waste of time.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
Me to their coverage sucks everywhere and they just run off old sprint from sprint changed to CDMA from GSM.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

While 1/3 of country can't even get ANY kind of T-Mobile service. That's why I find T-Mobile's "nationwide" claims amusing.

Yes, we know you can't get them. You've made that point before.
Expand your moderator at work

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

It's called roaming, and every provider relies on it to provide some service somewhere. However due to the cost they don't offer 'native' service in areas where the only roam.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

said by 88615298:

It's called roaming, and every provider relies on it to provide some service somewhere. However due to the cost they don't offer 'native' service in areas where the only roam.

Not to mention they actually have service in tons of areas but don't actually sell service in.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by 88615298:

Oh you can get 4G roaming? Um no. Not even 3G roaming. In fact when my nephew came to visit me he couldn't get ANY roaming. He couldn't even call or text anyone. So much for his "unlimited" everything.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by 88615298:

Oh you can get 4G roaming? Um no. Not even 3G roaming. In fact when my nephew came to visit me he couldn't get ANY roaming. He couldn't even call or text anyone. So much for his "unlimited" everything.

I'd rather have unlimited most places I go instead of coverage almost everywhere but barely be able to use the service without costing an arm and a leg and another arm.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
AT&T go phones are the same, Prepaid may have coverage in a given area, but pay as you go phones won't connect/roam on higher priced networks so their coverage is far less than contract phones. and in some areas no "partner" exists, so roaming doesn't happen.
No agreement = no roaming
"Unlimited" will ALWAYS be constrained by cost, location, and items within the providers control, it does not mean NO physical or artificial barriers.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

id give them time, they've been working on a lot.. heck look at what all they are doin, Merger, reframing, and LTE launch that's all quiet a bit of work. I personally can't wait to go to them in a few weeks from now!, Ive already unlocked my iphone and been checking coverage with a sim from them.. and coverage is surprisingly better than AT&T's here in town sometimes.. Now if only I knew if it was edge still or 3g for my iphone....

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

said by Cobra11M:

Ive already unlocked my iphone and been checking coverage with a sim from them.. and coverage is surprisingly better than AT&T's here in town sometimes.. Now if only I knew if it was edge still or 3g for my iphone....

It is almost certainly EDGE since 3G requires 1900Mhz refarming (since Apple did not include the 1700Mhz needed to get the original T-Mobile 3G support). If you are getting 3G there should be a 3G indicator on the display.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
What you failed to mention is that they _gained_ as many pre-paid customers as the lost in post paid. Oops.

They are also switching gears, probably based on this. No more subsidizing expenses phones and instead offering reduced monthly fees (as they are doing now). So if a person wants to bring their own phone or buy a reasonably prices Nexus or the like, they can enjoy a lower monthly fee then other carriers charge.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

missed CES

by about a month
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: missed CES

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Did they try to launch for CES and miss?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Did they try to launch for CES and miss?

or maybe they were afraid CES would overwhelm them so they waited.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

With only a couple phones, and not being a dominant carrier in the first place, it would have been a good thing. I'm thinking they missed the boat on that one.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

great

im impatiently patiently waiting on LTE to initialize for Long island, NY before i root my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2).

seangprice
join:2002-09-10
Coalville, UT

seangprice

Re: great

I switched from att to T-Mobile almost two years ago and I've never looked back. I travel almost weekly for the military and have found their coverage very good. I can even use their wifi calling oconus without charge.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to EliteData

to EliteData
Does anyone know what this new LTE plan is? Is that different from the plan to switch 3G from 1700 to 1900Mhz? My Galaxy S-2 says it has some LTE options but I don't know what they are for.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

Re: great

said by ArizonaSteve:

Does anyone know what this new LTE plan is? Is that different from the plan to switch 3G from 1700 to 1900Mhz? My Galaxy S-2 says it has some LTE options but I don't know what they are for.

According to T-Mobile, this upgrade comprises of a three-phase process: free up 2G spectrum, move HSPA+ to formerly 2G spectrum, and deploy LTE on formerly HSPA+ spectrum.

I.E. Most LTE on the AWS band.

more from the article.. "The final phase is actually the simplest one. The new equipment that T-Mobile is using for HSPA+ and LTE deployment supports remote software upgrades and reconfiguration. A network upgrade patch would be sent out to all stations with the new equipment, instructing cells to begin transmitting and receiving LTE on the AWS band. It is because of this that T-Mobile will be able to deploy LTE very quickly to a large portion of its native coverage once all the old equipment is replaced."
squashpile
join:2001-06-13
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

squashpile

T-Mobile + G Nexus FTW

T-Mobile with Galaxy Nexus here.. $30 month plan and love it. HSPA+ speed is fantastic around here for me. Hard to beat a no contract Nexus and their $30 prepaid plan.
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

Re: T-Mobile + G Nexus FTW

How can you get the $30 plan with a Galaxy Nexus? As far as I know only Walmart sells the $30 plan and they don't have the Nexus, just the S-2.
squashpile
Birmingham, AL

3 edits

squashpile

Order the SIM card from T-Mobile and just signup.. no telling how many Nexus phones T-Mobile has put on this plan in the last year.

My monthly bill is actually around $28/month. Get time via Callingmart.com with 5% off and it is always under $30 a month. I have two phones on this plan and it is hard to beat for under $60/month. I don't do much calling though, but it is still only .10 min over. It is still a better deal than most even if you go over. I laugh when I hear about contracts and friends $100+ bills. Freaking no brainer

Just re-upped the wife's phone just now. Not bad

29.70 USD
'ca3p-1207' coupon (3.0% off)* -0.89 USD

Total
28.81 USD

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· =2001290

Web only
»prepaid-phones.t-mobile. ··· 4g-plans
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

So T-Mo is selling it directly now, not just through Walmart? The options on their website seems to change almost daily but the packages are still marked $50 in their stores, at least it was last time I checked. It looks like you still have to buy it as part of a package though since there's no way to buy just the data plan by itself. Like it says at the top of the page, 1. Buy Your Phone, 2. Ship Your Phone, 3. Activate and Pick Your Plan. There's no way to get just the plan so what did you do, buy a cheap phone from them and use the SIM in your Nexus you got from the Google Play store?
squashpile
Birmingham, AL

squashpile

No.. I ordered two phones from Play Store. Ordered two SIM cards from T-Mobile and activated the plan online. It is no mystery or anything new. This plan is not new at all. Just check XDA or Google $30 Tmobile plan
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to squashpile

to squashpile
>My monthly bill is actually around $28/month. Get time via Callingmart.com with 5% off and it is always under $30 a month.

Wait, you got a plan that's not available by itself, using it on a different kind of phone and it's even cheaper than advertised?
This is getting more and more unbelievable all the time! If that calling mart thing works it's a lot of trouble just to save 30 cents.
BTW, Do you know that if you miss a payment they can switch you back from the unlimited plan to the 30 MB plan? I know someone that it happened to!

••••
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to squashpile

Premium Member

to squashpile
Just activated (another) T-Mobile SIM with the $30 plan earlier. SIM costs a whopping 99 cents. Thanks for the heads up on callingmart.com.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

!

Instead of saying "Oh cool T-mobile is now getting LTE launched and pushing America's broadband to compete with other countries we envy". We cry about how Verizon has LTE deployed all over and to hell with any other carrier does.

What a bunch of clowns.

•••

tmh
@verizon.net

tmh

Anon

Foget it

How about extending 42 Mbps HSPA+everywhere? Then work on LTE.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

Still a pig

I don't care how many dresses or shades of lipstick you put on a pig, it's still a pig. Until I start seeing applications for new towers within 50 miles of me it is smoke and mirrors.

tmobile 4 lf
@comcast.net

tmobile 4 lf

Anon

Re: Still a pig

I think everyone whom doesn't have good coverage with Tmobile in their area will complain. The others whom have great coverage love Tmobile. It is what it is. Unless you got the money in your pocket to put up more cell towers then either you use Tmobile or you don't. No need for an argument over it.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

Re: Still a pig

Not trying to start any argument, the facts are in the numbers when you follow all 4 providers and there new/planned towers you start to see a pattern.

Some quick math, Tmobile got paid 6.68 billion for the botched deal
»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 533.html

According to this website »www.quora.com/Telecommun ··· ll-tower the average full cost for a tower is $250,000 we will bump that up to $300,000. lets take just one billion and divide that by $300,000 and you should come up with 3333,333333....... you get the point. That is a awful lot of towers you can build from money that came into your company's coffers that wasn't even planned for.

I am no cell phone company CEO by any means but I would think that I would want more customers so putting up more towers might be a wise investment.