dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-15 18:57:49: • Broadband Research Founder Gets 4 Years in Insider Case [bloomberg.com] • Aerohive, Euclid partner on using Wi-Fi to decode shoppers' behavior [networkworld. ..

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

Euclid

Let's all run around with MAC spoofers that change every 10 seconds. :P

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

AT&T, CenturyLink to offer classified cyber-threat info

Yep. Whoever has the deepest pockets.

Here comes the RIAA/MPAA/etc.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

PTel???

Who the hell is PTell. Even though I worked for Sprint for 10 years, NEVER heard of these people. So, I guess they won't be missed.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven

Re: AT&T, CenturyLink to offer classified cyber-threat info

This is a good thing and it has nothing to do with deep pockets. The DHS has been pursuing efforts to improve information sharing between public and private sectors for a while now. Laws to increase efficiency of doing so have been scuttled, so the DHS has been trudging through with the private sector to put all necessary legal agreements in place to make this work. The problem is, this is still a voluntary effort, even for businesses that support critical infrastructure, like AT&T, CenturyLink, and many, many more.
openbox9

openbox9 to jtl999

Premium Member

to jtl999

Re: Euclid

Such dangerous info for businesses to collect. Perhaps you'd prefer businesses use their security cameras and facial recognition to collect attributable data instead of anonymous info? Is it worth the hassle of trying to spoof your MAC? Why don't you disable your WiFi radio?
said by Network World :

The combination lets retailers see how many Wi-Fi devices pass the store front, how many stop at the window display and for how long, the number of shoppers who actually enter the store and how long they stay, the average stay length and other metrics. Euclid can identify repeat visitors, tell the last time they visited, and what percentage of visitors are repeats or brand new.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

quote:
Why don't you disable your WiFi radio?

Because it is more fun to screw up their data.

When they start using facial recognition, I will go shopping with an openbox9 mask on.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to openbox9

to openbox9

Re: AT&T, CenturyLink to offer classified cyber-threat info

The issue is, what is classified as a "cyber-threat"? It could mean anything, technically.

So, if a "cyber-threat" means it could damage my business or business model, I could get that information and sue the crap out of him/her.

This could be abused in so many ways..
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

The DHS has determined critical infrastructure and cyber threats to those pieces of infrastructure aren't difficult to define.
said by SimbaSeven:

So, if a "cyber-threat" means it could damage my business or business model, I could get that information and sue the crap out of him/her.

Are you providing a piece of our nation's critical infrastructure as defined by the DHS? If not, then this doesn't apply to you.
said by SimbaSeven:

This could be abused in so many ways.

That's why we needed laws to define the sharing relationships and processes between private and public sectors. Most people around forums like this complained about the invasion of privacy with those laws...which ironically, if people had actually read and understood the proposed legislation, did nothing of the sort.