dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-16 09:47:14: A Sprint network glitch is incorrectly directing users to the home of Wayne Dobson in North Las Vegas. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277

Premium Member

Lawsuit anyone?

I smelll a lawsuit cooking against Sprint from this poor guy.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

What a master thief.

Stealing everyone's sprint phones across the US. Now THAT is good work!

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

How does this even happen?

I just don't understand how this even happens? This poor man's life is in danger as someone could very easily show up with a gun (or our "right to bear arms AR-15") and not even give him a chance to talk.

I hope Sprint resolves this quickly for the sake of this man and his family.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

1 recommendation

AnonPerson

lol

He should put a letter or a sign on his door explaining the glitch and that he does not have their stolen devices.

That would probably turn away at least half of the angry people.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo

You didn't read the article in the link above did you.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

Post Security

Sprint should post security at his house to deal with the issue... Seems very easy to take the heat off the poor guy... Who won't be poor after the law suit as long as a gun toting vigilante doesn't visit him first.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

2 Waynes in North Las Vegas

I looked up the name mentioned in the article. There are two that go by this name. I geocoded both addresses. There doesn't appear to be anything special about the LAT/LON numbers. One of the addresses is:

LAT: 36.250866 LON: -115.163670

When I first read the article, I thought the LAT/LON of North Las Vegas was at whole number coordinates and a truncation issue was causing loss of precision. However, there doesn't appear to be anything significant about the coordinates of either address or, for that matter, any address in North Las Vegas.

I hope we get a technical explanation for this so if if ever happens to me, I'll know whether or not I have to move. It's ridiculous this guy has had to put up with this since 2011.
david3
join:2000-03-21

1 recommendation

david3

Landline

(quote from the article)
quote:
"Coon said Dobson's example is a good reason why people should have land lines in their homes."
Expand your moderator at work

steve1515
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Peabody, MA

steve1515 to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz

Re: How does this even happen?

said by gigahurtz:

...someone could very easily show up with a gun (or our "right to bear arms AR-15") and not even give him a chance to talk.

It would be his right to defend himself with an AR-15 of his own. Perhaps he owns one legally.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

sounds similar

to a slightly different situation i have been dealing with since windows 8 was released.
my telephone number is similar to the microsoft activation/help number 1-855-469-9468 in that if the person who calls it does not dial 1 first, i get their phone call if the area code they are dialing from is the same as mine.
it is extremely annoying to get phone calls all hours of the day and night from a variety of people (even kids!) asking for help with their windows installation.
even after explaining to many of them that they are dialing the wrong number, that this is a private residence number and that they should dial 1 first and then the rest of the microsoft number, they still ask me windows related questions as if what i just told them went through a hole in their head.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz

probably a default location if the gps doesn't get a lock.
AVD

2 recommendations

AVD to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData

Re: sounds similar

said by EliteData:

to a slightly different situation i have been dealing with since windows 8 was released.
my telephone number is similar to the microsoft activation/help number 1-855-469-9468 in that if the person who calls it does not dial 1 first, i get their phone call if the area code they are dialing from is the same as mine.
it is extremely annoying to get phone calls all hours of the day and night from a variety of people (even kids!) asking for help with their windows installation.
even after explaining to many of them that they are dialing the wrong number, that this is a private residence number and that they should dial 1 first and then the rest of the microsoft number, they still ask me windows related questions as if what i just told them went through a hole in their head.

ask for their credit card number, then sell them tech support. If they are hard to answer, sell them a new computer.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

James Bondian...

I wonder if Mr Gupta is there, snickering....
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

Joe12345678 to EliteData

to EliteData

This guy had a number that was one off from Papa John's and he had a lot of fun with it.

»www.youtube.com/user/Jac ··· s?view=0
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to markf

Premium Member

to markf

Re: Post Security

That is exactly what I was thinking. Sprint should have no problem spending a few thousand dollars while they figure out what is happening. Even if its not their fault, hiring security would be _good_ PR for them.

It would also help their defense when the person pursues damages from them. It's not a question of "if" he will, only a question of when. Perhaps that claim will end up beign against someone other then Sprint... who knows.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

1 recommendation

amungus to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData

Ouch, that sucks.

Verizon somehow had one of our toll free business #'s on FIOS literature. We must've had hundreds of calls over the span of about a year. Had to tell folks to call the 800-Verizon #

Never did get anyone to help, even though I tried calling Verizon numerous times.

Have to wonder how much business they lost due to this one simple and incredibly stupid mistake of not even checking their own # before printing it on some mailer.
amungus

amungus to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515

Did anyone read the article?

Dobson said he is grateful that he didn't confront the officers with a weapon.

"I would have been on the losing end, and it would have been because of that issue," he said.

Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Get a new address

He should ask the post office for a new house number. That way people won't find his house when looking for their cell phones.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz

Way to go off topic & troll with the best of them.

If this were happening to me, I would go passive aggressive & FedEx the phone to the CEO's house.

Problem solved!

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by N3OGH:

Way to go off topic & troll with the best of them.

If this were happening to me, I would go passive aggressive & FedEx the phone to the CEO's house.

Problem solved!

it has nothing to do with a phone, but probably something to do with Sprints geolocation services.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

1 recommendation

slckusr to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData

i would have too much fun with this.

"yes ma'aam im sure you want to delete all your data"

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD

Copy...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData

You don't have to have a telephone number that is only similar to a popular number if a large company/organization publishes your telephone number on their web site and also on millions of printed brochures.

Several years back I had a major hospital in Florida do that to my toll free number (that I had been using for several years). After they did that, and until I finally gave up and changed the number, I would get many, many calls per day (24/7) for that hospital.

For a while I tried sending calls to that number directly to voicemail with an announcement explaining the situation, and providing the non toll free numbers for both the hospital and myself. That was not very effective. Aside from doing a disservice to my clients, I still got angry and threatening calls from idiots who assumed that I was running some kind of scam and had "stolen" the hospital's phone number (not to mention a voicemail inbox that was a PITA to manage).

The hospital did (eventually) remove that phone number from their web site, but the printed brochure damage was not so easy to fix. Those brochures had been distributed to tourist information sites and social service agencies in several states; and for all I know, people are still calling that number using the information in those brochures.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam to Bamafan2277

to Bamafan2277

Re: Lawsuit anyone?

It's criminal harassment. No doubt Sprint should pay the man for the psychological and probably physical abuse he sustained.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515

Of course it would be, because he uses that AR-15 for hunting purposes

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

probably a default location if the gps doesn't get a lock.

that would be a weird place. My T-Mobile phone defaults to Bellevue Washington when I have gps issues. Aka T-Mobile headquarters.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

probably not an intentional default.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next