dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-16 09:47:14: A Sprint network glitch is incorrectly directing users to the home of Wayne Dobson in North Las Vegas. ..

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277

Premium Member

Lawsuit anyone?

I smelll a lawsuit cooking against Sprint from this poor guy.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam

Re: Lawsuit anyone?

It's criminal harassment. No doubt Sprint should pay the man for the psychological and probably physical abuse he sustained.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to Bamafan2277

MVM

to Bamafan2277
Lawsuit will be tough without knowing what the problem is.
It could be Sprint, it could be the phone manufacturer, it could be North Las Vegas 911's data, it could be the dispatch vendor's software. Or it could be some weird combination of 2 or more of those.
If you cannot find what causes the problem, then you have no basis for a lawsuit against Sprint.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

said by marigolds:

It could be Sprint, it could be the phone manufacturer, it could be North Las Vegas 911's data, it could be the dispatch vendor's software. Or it could be some weird combination of 2 or more of those.
If you cannot find what causes the problem, then you have no basis for a lawsuit against Sprint.

Bullshit, that's not how supreme courts work! The lawsuit is totally doable, and getting the data of who's at fault is called Discovery. I'm surprised the article mentions nothing about a lawsuit; he can totally sue Sprint and probably all the other parties involved (and the process of discovery will reveal what the exact problem is and who is actually at fault). And I also smell like he can even use the device of Injunction, to have the court prevent these kinds of things from happening in the future.

Seriously, he lives in Vegas, and can't find a lawyer for these things? Don't you get their cards stuffed in your face as you walk by the strip?

marigolds
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

said by ConstantineM:

said by marigolds:

Bullshit, that's not how supreme courts work! The lawsuit is totally doable, and getting the data of who's at fault is called Discovery. I'm surprised the article mentions nothing about a lawsuit; he can totally sue Sprint and probably all the other parties involved (and the process of discovery will reveal what the exact problem is and who is actually at fault). And I also smell like he can even use the device of Injunction, to have the court prevent these kinds of things from happening in the future.

Seriously, he lives in Vegas, and can't find a lawyer for these things? Don't you get their cards stuffed in your face as you walk by the strip?

Well, that is if you go with the belief that sprint and North Las Vegas 911 know what the problem is and are not fixing it.
If they don't know what the problem is, then discovery is not going to do you any good whatsoever.

There is zero chance that the court is going to issue an injunction that shuts down 911. None whatsoever.
ConstantineM
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

At the very least, the court can easily approve an injunction on Sprint offering their find-your-lost-phone service for any users in North Las Vegas area.

Also, it is entirely conceivable and reasonable to also move for an injunction that would prohibit the address in question from being served as the GPS address for 911 calls.

Also, how could Sprint not know what's going on? The code is deterministic, the people were there. If they can't figure out what's going on, it's purely because they're too lazy and don't care about this problem. So, sue them, then they'll talk.

marigolds
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

said by ConstantineM:

At the very least, the court can easily approve an injunction on Sprint offering their find-your-lost-phone service for any users in North Las Vegas area.

Also, it is entirely conceivable and reasonable to also move for an injunction that would prohibit the address in question from being served as the GPS address for 911 calls.

Also, how could Sprint not know what's going on? The code is deterministic, the people were there. If they can't figure out what's going on, it's purely because they're too lazy and don't care about this problem. So, sue them, then they'll talk.

It is not Sprint offering the service. It is third party groups using a combination of Sprint and 911 geolocation.

I suppose if the owner wanted to agree that he would receive no police services that the 2nd injunction could happen. I doubt he wants that though, since then he would not be able to get the police to his house when someone shows up at the door demanding their lost phone that their third party app says is there.
ConstantineM
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

What prohibits him from suing said third parties, or the app stores through which such apps are distributed? Besides, if all of these are Sprint users, it more sounds like it's an issue with some kind of service that Sprint offers directly.

Also, you're being very naive about the ways under which the location can be gathered during a 911 call. Nothing would preclude him from receiving police help if the above injunction of his address being GPS-blacklisted implemented at the 911 level.

marigolds
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

said by ConstantineM:

What prohibits him from suing said third parties, or the app stores through which such apps are distributed? Besides, if all of these are Sprint users, it more sounds like it's an issue with some kind of service that Sprint offers directly.

Also, you're being very naive about the ways under which the location can be gathered during a 911 call. Nothing would preclude him from receiving police help if the above injunction of his address being GPS-blacklisted implemented at the 911 level.

They could easily go after the third party apps. The problem is the sheer number of such apps. It would be a game of whack-a-mole.

This is probably not only Sprint users affected. It is just only Sprint users showing up because of sheer numbers. Sprint, T-Mobile, Clear, and a handful of others tend to exhibit the same issues because of the tower networks and common handsets that they use. We have experienced this with text message delays for emergency alerts. But the issues always show up on Sprint first because of sheer numbers.

Odds are the issue is with tower triangulation and how it interacts with the geolocation API on certain phones when going through certain networks. Eliminate those phones or change those towers and you might solve it. Eliminating the geolocation API would break a wide swath of apps besides the tracker apps, but it would be the only real way to stop the tracker apps.

I work professionally with 911 GIS data. If an address is blacklisted from the system, that means that there is no police response to that location. This is -extremely- rare. The equivalent happens occasionally with VOIP numbers (which is the company failing to enroll at address after they switch to VoIP), and it does translate into no police response to the location of that number. Of course, you can give them the physical address over the phone instead, if you are able to do that.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight to marigolds

to marigolds
Either way, someone is certainly going to eat litigation on this one.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

This does not need to go to court. The guy could very well not decide to press charges against Sprint and just be happy that the whole thing is over and accept whatever compensation Sprint might offer him for his trouble if Sprint determines that their network/phones really were at fault.
ConstantineM
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

Yeah, right! Companies voluntarily admitting to their mistakes and providing reasonable compensation! Especially the telecoms!

LOL, a good one!
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to Bamafan2277

to Bamafan2277
I hope he:

A) Files a complaint against the Las Vegas Police. I'd be filing a violation of civil rights complaint on the two incidences where he was forced out of his home and searched wrongfully.

B) I'd be procuring a lawyer and finding who is at fault. The mental anguish, reduction in quality of life, and sheer hell the man has endured is astounding.

C) If he can pinpoint the exact problem, be it Sprint, App Maker, Police, etc, he's in for a nice pay day.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

What a master thief.

Stealing everyone's sprint phones across the US. Now THAT is good work!

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

How does this even happen?

I just don't understand how this even happens? This poor man's life is in danger as someone could very easily show up with a gun (or our "right to bear arms AR-15") and not even give him a chance to talk.

I hope Sprint resolves this quickly for the sake of this man and his family.
Expand your moderator at work

steve1515
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Peabody, MA

steve1515 to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz

Re: How does this even happen?

said by gigahurtz:

...someone could very easily show up with a gun (or our "right to bear arms AR-15") and not even give him a chance to talk.

It would be his right to defend himself with an AR-15 of his own. Perhaps he owns one legally.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Did anyone read the article?

Dobson said he is grateful that he didn't confront the officers with a weapon.

"I would have been on the losing end, and it would have been because of that issue," he said.

nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

said by amungus:

"I would have been on the losing end, and it would have been because of that issue," he said.

We saw Para norman finally. Think there was a statement in there to the effect we are the police and we are the only ones allowed to shoot civilians.

found quote
"Sheriff Hooper: What do you think you're doing firing at civilians? That is for the police to do! "

steve1515
Premium Member
Peabody, MA

steve1515 to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus
said by amungus:

Yes, I did. Unfortunately, the statement about the "losing end" is most likely true, but it really shouldn't be. You should be able to be prepared and be able to protect your self in your home. The police should also realize this and take no offense.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515
Of course it would be, because he uses that AR-15 for hunting purposes

steve1515
Premium Member
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

said by gigahurtz:

Of course it would be, because he uses that AR-15 for hunting purposes

Or any other reason. That's what makes this country great, you don't have to justify a purchase.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

"Because I can" is the only reason I need for owning an AR15, AK47, AUG, MP5, Uzi, and other guns that are responsibly tucked away in a vault.

steve1515
Premium Member
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

said by battleop:

"Because I can" is the only reason I need for owning an AR15, AK47, AUG, MP5, Uzi, and other guns that are responsibly tucked away in a vault.

Absolutely agree!

tmh
@comcastbusiness.net

tmh to steve1515

Anon

to steve1515
said by steve1515:

It would be his right to defend himself with an AR-15 of his own. Perhaps he owns one legally.

Unless of course, said visitor shows up with a bunch of his friends, all bringing more than the arms they were born with.

steve1515
Premium Member
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

said by tmh :

said by steve1515:

Unless of course, said visitor shows up with a bunch of his friends, all bringing more than the arms they were born with.

This is real life and anything is to be expected. One can only prepare as best one can.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
probably a default location if the gps doesn't get a lock.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by AVD:

probably a default location if the gps doesn't get a lock.

that would be a weird place. My T-Mobile phone defaults to Bellevue Washington when I have gps issues. Aka T-Mobile headquarters.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

probably not an intentional default.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by AVD:

probably not an intentional default.

it's just the location of the up address usually.

•••

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to djdanska

Premium Member

to djdanska
Phone location
Tacoma, Washington
1/16/2013 at 2:18 PM
Refresh | Print | Center on map

Latitude: 47.2529 (47° 15 10.44 N)
Longitude: -122.4443 (122° 26 39.48 W)
Area Code: 253

My phone is at the Pierce County Courthouse according to windowsphone.com right now... This could happen to anyone.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
Way to go off topic & troll with the best of them.

If this were happening to me, I would go passive aggressive & FedEx the phone to the CEO's house.

Problem solved!

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by N3OGH:

Way to go off topic & troll with the best of them.

If this were happening to me, I would go passive aggressive & FedEx the phone to the CEO's house.

Problem solved!

it has nothing to do with a phone, but probably something to do with Sprints geolocation services.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH

Premium Member

Copy...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to gigahurtz

Premium Member

to gigahurtz
if sprint does not act fast this guy should start calling the LVPD to haul off people pestering him constantly for trespassing.

But yes I think he would have a legal case against sprint for this. He could certainly get mental anguish dollars. Possibly even lost wages if the results of this screwup are preventing him from getting to work.

A few grand for that lawsuit is better than a wrongful death lawsuit if a person shows up at his door and murders him thinking he has their phone. That kind of lawsuit could cost millions to pay off the family.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

1 recommendation

AnonPerson

lol

He should put a letter or a sign on his door explaining the glitch and that he does not have their stolen devices.

That would probably turn away at least half of the angry people.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo

Re: lol

You didn't read the article in the link above did you.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf

Post Security

Sprint should post security at his house to deal with the issue... Seems very easy to take the heat off the poor guy... Who won't be poor after the law suit as long as a gun toting vigilante doesn't visit him first.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Re: Post Security

That is exactly what I was thinking. Sprint should have no problem spending a few thousand dollars while they figure out what is happening. Even if its not their fault, hiring security would be _good_ PR for them.

It would also help their defense when the person pursues damages from them. It's not a question of "if" he will, only a question of when. Perhaps that claim will end up beign against someone other then Sprint... who knows.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

2 Waynes in North Las Vegas

I looked up the name mentioned in the article. There are two that go by this name. I geocoded both addresses. There doesn't appear to be anything special about the LAT/LON numbers. One of the addresses is:

LAT: 36.250866 LON: -115.163670

When I first read the article, I thought the LAT/LON of North Las Vegas was at whole number coordinates and a truncation issue was causing loss of precision. However, there doesn't appear to be anything significant about the coordinates of either address or, for that matter, any address in North Las Vegas.

I hope we get a technical explanation for this so if if ever happens to me, I'll know whether or not I have to move. It's ridiculous this guy has had to put up with this since 2011.

marigolds
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

Re: 2 Waynes in North Las Vegas

said by rradina:

I looked up the name mentioned in the article. There are two that go by this name. I geocoded both addresses. There doesn't appear to be anything special about the LAT/LON numbers. One of the addresses is:

LAT: 36.250866 LON: -115.163670

When I first read the article, I thought the LAT/LON of North Las Vegas was at whole number coordinates and a truncation issue was causing loss of precision. However, there doesn't appear to be anything significant about the coordinates of either address or, for that matter, any address in North Las Vegas.

The coordinates may be in a projected coordinate system. There are literally thousands in use, and phone companies are infamous for using their own coordinate systems or using outdating systems (for example, 1927 latitude/longitude is different from 1983, which is different from 1984) that are then reprojected.
It might even be that Sprint is using a coordinate system whose origin is right at that location. Any coordinates that come back as 0,0 would then direct straight to his house.
david3
join:2000-03-21

1 recommendation

david3

Landline

(quote from the article)
quote:
"Coon said Dobson's example is a good reason why people should have land lines in their homes."

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

sounds similar

to a slightly different situation i have been dealing with since windows 8 was released.
my telephone number is similar to the microsoft activation/help number 1-855-469-9468 in that if the person who calls it does not dial 1 first, i get their phone call if the area code they are dialing from is the same as mine.
it is extremely annoying to get phone calls all hours of the day and night from a variety of people (even kids!) asking for help with their windows installation.
even after explaining to many of them that they are dialing the wrong number, that this is a private residence number and that they should dial 1 first and then the rest of the microsoft number, they still ask me windows related questions as if what i just told them went through a hole in their head.

•••••••

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

James Bondian...

I wonder if Mr Gupta is there, snickering....
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Get a new address

He should ask the post office for a new house number. That way people won't find his house when looking for their cell phones.

•••••
ConstantineM
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

Must be a bunch of idiots doing UI at Sprint.

Seriously, has anyone used Maps on an iOS? Remember how your location is a dot followed by a huge translucent blue circle that can be hundreds of metres in size?

What happened to that, and what idiot decided that a location can be represented by a single dot alone, without the accuracy part?

Else, someone just doesn't know how to use their tools, but I think it's no surprise that no iPhones or iPads are in the story.

The story and reporting are really crap, because it doesn't actually go into much details about who's fault it is: user or UI.

ajrobb
@spcsdns.net

ajrobb

Anon

My Airave does the same thing

Whenever I'm using my Airave at home, goog maps thinks I'm actually in Henderson NV. Maybe this guy's address?