dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-16 12:25:36: Bright House Networks appears to be giving users a speed bump. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

You switched the flip

Swap "High Speed Internet" for "Lightning" in the tier name/speed mapping and you'll have the correct ordering.

I'd say that I'm jealous of Bright House customers, who now have 10 Mbps more speed than I do on TWC...but I don't know whether I'd even notice a 20% speed increase on my 50 Mbps speed, most of the time anyway.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Brighthouse

I don't like Brighthouse. They market way too much via postal mail and when I move into apartment complexes they give you Brighthouse merchandise to get you to go with their services.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

I just upgraded to Turbo!

I had just upgraded to Turbo a few days ago and noticed I was averaging around 30 Mbps.. this is a welcome boost!

Thanks BHN!

AMejia1976
join:2000-07-29
Kissimmee, FL

AMejia1976

What about Lite and Standard...

While the increase is welcomed... what about the 2 lower tiers?

While I do have Turbo, I think is not fair that those who can't afford to pay more get treated like they are not as important. I am sure a large amount of customers don't get the Turbo or Lighting service as they have no need for those speeds. Would like to know what percentage of the customer base have the lower tiers.

@l3x

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Life isn't fair. These upgrades were not necessary, it's BHN's way of adding a bit of a perk to getting the faster speeds. Most who are using a standard package have no need for the faster speeds anyway, so most will not care that they were "left out".
gigahurtz

gigahurtz to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

Re: Brighthouse

You can request to be removed from this list. I don't see anything wrong with them giving merchandise out to you when you move into a new apartment complex. No one is forcing you to use their services. Take their merchandise and do with it what you'd like.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Good Stuff..

I'll have to reboot my modem and check when I get home.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to AMejia1976

to AMejia1976

Re: What about Lite and Standard...

My area has the opposite problem. Charter's minimum tier is 30Mbps. From a support perspective, it wouldn't cost them a dime to provide a whole bunch of tiers and extremely attractive price points on the lowest tiers (i.e. 1, 5, 10, 30, 100, 300). However, from a revenue perspective they make more if the minimum is 30 which keeps the base price higher.

It's similar to hard drive prices. By capacity, the cost drops by half between the current and last gen maximums. Below that, the curve flattens and the lowest is not significantly less than the last gen maximum. This is likely because regardless of capacity, there is a minimum manufacturing cost. Cable probably also has a minimum cost per drop but bundling skews it.

Lightning40
@bhn.net

Lightning40

Anon

No speed bump Bummer

said by karlbode :

Bright House Networks spokesman Donald Forbes says the tiers will cost "about $5 more" than their previous incarnations -- unless you already have Turbo or Lightning service.

I called BHN and unless you pay $5 more a month for 60/5 Lightning you are stuck with slower speed. Guess that invalidates Donald Forbes statement.
DrData
Premium Member
join:2004-12-31
Longwood, FL

DrData to bobjohnson

Premium Member

to bobjohnson

Re: Good Stuff..

I rebooted, no increase.

Lightning40
@bhn.net

Lightning40

Anon

said by DrData:

I rebooted, no increase.

Again, you will have to pay $5 for the upgrade in speed.

A reboot will not make your speed faster.
grayem
join:2000-09-22
Saint Louis, MO

grayem

Charter did this in St Louis

First, the speeds got too fast for the modem I was using so I had to by a new one. Then they bumped it again and the price went up shortly after. The next year they dumped all the lower tiers and your min speed is 30 Mbps and that modem you had, you can't use. Speed bumps are really something they use for marketing, but something customers don't always need or want to pay for.

Lightning40
@bhn.net

Lightning40

Anon

said by grayem:

..... Speed bumps are really something they use for marketing, but something customers don't always need or want to pay for.

Exactly, Agreed!
DrData
Premium Member
join:2004-12-31
Longwood, FL

DrData to Lightning40

Premium Member

to Lightning40

Re: Good Stuff..

Yup, just got the upgrade.

Jamesliljim
join:2004-09-17
New York, NY

1 edit

Jamesliljim

Isn't BrightHouse also TimeWarner Cable (Subsidary)?

Hi Guys,

I'm not very sure if I phrased it correctly, but my question is, Is BrightHouse like the parent company to TimeWarner Cable (Internet Division). If BrightHouse isn't the Parent, don't they work together to some degree or are they totally independent of one another.

I'm under the assumption that they are using Florida as a 'Test' State and if its successful it will be bringing these upgrades to the rest of the United States?

Is this Wishful thinking or is this something that's quite possible?

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie

They have a partnership.

Bright House Networks
Jamesliljim
join:2004-09-17
New York, NY

Jamesliljim

Thank you for the Clarification.
rabeatz
join:2012-11-26
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

Article should be corrected?

It seems to be written in a way that would make an existing turbo/lightning user believe that they'd see a speed increase without any price change.. when it seems that the Bhouse forum tech has confirmed that if an existing lightning user wants to see 60mbps they have to pony up the extra $5 / month.

Seems that some clarification should be added to explain that existing lightning users won't see a speed increase or price increase, unless they ask for it..

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

Well...

..For 5 extra dollars I called and made the switch from 40 to 60. 20mb/s is quite a jump for 5.00. Really wish the upstream was bumped though.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Jamesliljim

Premium Member

to Jamesliljim

Re: Isn't BrightHouse also TimeWarner Cable (Subsidary)?

said by Jamesliljim:

Hi Guys,

I'm not very sure if I phrased it correctly, but my question is, Is BrightHouse like the parent company to TimeWarner Cable (Internet Division). If BrightHouse isn't the Parent, don't they work together to some degree or are they totally independent of one another.

I'm under the assumption that they are using Florida as a 'Test' State and if its successful it will be bringing these upgrades to the rest of the United States?

Is this Wishful thinking or is this something that's quite possible?

We are entirely two different companies. Yes it is true we work together on some things but never should the assumption be made that if one does something the other will follow. The wiki that Beachie posted should explain it all.
Opt
join:2012-04-04
Bakersfield, CA

Opt

Upstream link

The upstream link needs a major boost. 5Mb upstream is pathetic in comparison to the 60Mb down. At least 10Mb upstream would be best for their highest tier package you would think.
chomper87
join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL

chomper87

Meanwhile on my VZ FiOS

And it comes out a less expensive for me to be on FiOS.

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

said by chomper87:

[att=1]

And it comes out a less expensive for me to be on FiOS.

I miss FiOS. Everyone around here can subscribe to FiOS except in the apartment complex I reside in. BHN only and not like we even get a discount, at full residential pricing.

All in all my BH internet service is as solid as FiOS just the upstream sucks. I miss a solid upstream speed for uploading photos or music streaming and such.

Cingular
@rr.com

Cingular

Anon

Speedbump and Overprovisioned =D

Click for full size
I have Lightening for my business and am getting better than the 70/5 package.

jfleni
@bhn.net

jfleni

Anon

Since the "bump."

"Dim bulb" aka "Bright House" has slowed down with many net requests just disappearing since the "bump." Locally since that time, the net can just go down for hours at a time on occasion. Thats the kind of "bump" you get when somebody smashes into your read end at a traffic light!
goofygeef
join:2003-09-30
Palm Coast, FL

goofygeef

SPEED TIERS

The email I got from BHN says it'll cost $5 more to go to 60mbps. I have the lightening and in Ormond Beach using speedtest.net I get 10ms latency to Orlando minimum, sometimes 5 ms, have regularly been seeing 45-46 mbps dl/5.5-6.5 mbps upl. I'm one of those who have to mull over whether even $5 is worth the extra 50% in d/l which I don't believe will make much of a difference, and since you don't get a corresponding boost in uploads. Like people say here about the upload speeds, it do suck.
mattmac
join:2011-03-27
West Palm Beach, FL

mattmac

I would love to get these speeds there is nothing even close to this ride with AT&T uverse!
12/1.5 $56mo
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: You switched the flip

especially since BH is on the RR network as well.

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288 to chomper87

Premium Member

to chomper87

Re: Meanwhile on my VZ FiOS

My upload is almost faster than your download. Sad.. I think BH can do better.

Miami

chomper87
join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL

chomper87

Down here, the 150 / 65 Internet + TV shoots up too high in price for me.
page: 1 · 2 · next