dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-17 12:35:00: Last week we noted that Netflix had started offering Ultra HD and 3D video streams to customers whose ISPs signed up to use the Netflix Open Connect content delivery network (CDN). ..

prev · 1 · 2

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to elray

Premium Member

to elray

Re: Netflix Thug like Behavior.

said by elray:

said by anon anon :

Well maybe Netflix wouldn't have to go this route if ISP didn't have caps. Only 2 hours and 45 minutes of SuperHD streaming per day would put one over a 250 GB cap.

Also Netflix already pays for it's bandwidth.

And Netflix is getting the bandwidth it paid for.

But if they want to see their customers happy with "Super" HD, they're going to have to buy some more bandwidth. Evidently, they figured out that last-mile caching is the optimum way to go given the effects of Network Neutrality.

Time Warner is probably willing to go along and allow Netflix to pay to place their caches, but I don't think they're appreciative of Netflix' publicity stunts.

Apparently you don't quite realize how bandwidth works for non-residential customers.

Companies pay X amount for X amount of speed, with a guaranteed 99.999% uptime regardless of the bandwidth used (1MB or 1TB a month). Netflix has the bandwidth capacity to run it via traditional streams, but then there is issue with latency and QoS. Putting it in the middle of the network eliminates outside congestion sources, and reduces the strain on the ISP and CDN networks.
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112

Premium Member

TWC service is shoddy at best

be ice if the service actually worked, channels on switched tune in and out. All the tech see that its an infrstructure issue. DVRs slow as molasses in January. AN attitude of its not my problem...ya, TWC sucks...I miss FIOS.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

Re: oh the irony

The content owners don't like the idea. The providers do not really have much of a say.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to RARPSL

to RARPSL

I believe you would be understanding wrong.

Unless Netflix has every major ISP running lines to the main server(s) that deliver the content to consumers and the caching servers they have to be running over whomever they have as an ISP (level 3) to reach those networks.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to swarto112

Premium Member

to swarto112

Re: TWC service is shoddy at best

Cablecard. I'm building a DVR for use on Comcast, and it's going to be WAY better than their POS.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to Skippy25

to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

I believe you would be understanding wrong.

Unless Netflix has every major ISP running lines to the main server(s) that deliver the content to consumers and the caching servers they have to be running over whomever they have as an ISP (level 3) to reach those networks.

Please reread my comment. I stated that it was my impression that Netflix is placing their caching servers on the ISP's network so Level 3 is not involved in serving the content to the user since it is coming from a server that is already on the user's ISP network. The only involvement of Level 3 is when Netflix wants to connect to the ISP Hosted Server to add new content.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to swarto112

to swarto112

Re: TWC service is shoddy at best

Be careful what you wish for.

All the other cable companies are worse.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx

said by Scatcatpdx:

The problem is Netflix want to jam more bandwidth, compete with cable companies and expect the cable companies to give them room and pay for and upgrades to the network; all so can Netflix can make money off a minority of ISP's customers.
To Netflix is a case of companies behaving badly.

Is this the kind of putrid filth you say after you are done bending over for the ISPs? The kinds who are looking for corporate handouts, since we pay for them to upgrade their infrastructure, and the content companies we pay for them to upgrade their data servers?

You would be better off leaving your mouth to the ISPs and not giving us your opinions.
albundyhere
join:2000-10-26
New York, NY

albundyhere

TWC is an old fart on life support

once Google fiber comes to NYC, they will be gone so fast, i wont even have time to laugh at them.
prev · 1 · 2