dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-18 16:26:18: Everyone wants HBO to offer a standalone version of their streaming service HBO Go (right now you need to subscribe to traditional cable and HBO), though HBO continues to fight the idea. ..

silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

HBO

HBO is just a mess in general. I don't know why anyone would subscribe unless they watch it a lot. Since all I watch right now is Game of Thrones, it is a lot cheaper just to buy the show on DVD/BD and be done with it. Although the waiting a year after they air to buy them is pretty ridiculous.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

That's the issue with GOT and other HBO shows. First they don't offer it day after airing like a lot of other shows do, second they want $4 per episode. And they wonder why people torrent. They wait MONTHS to have it available. Well everyone else has seen the season and have talked about it. Guess what HBO, people don't like spoiler alerts. Hard to avoid them when you don't make content availbale for months.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I have never tried buying individual episodes, but season 2 of Game of Thrones is still not on DVD/BD and won't be until Feb 19, 2013.

Considering how much the show cost to make I would think they would do whatever they could to make money. But apparently money is no concern.

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

Alakar

Sabotage!

Sounds like they are purposely trying to sabotage the effort in Scandinavia. They'll say "See, nothing but problems so we can't offer it anywhere else". Considering HBO Go worked flawlessly on my Android phone, Roku, HTPC and PS3, it's amazing that they are suddenly having these problems.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: HBO

Game of Thrones was one reason I have kept HBO but I'm on the edge of cancelling these days.

What's really ridiculous is the Game of Thrones books. I actually read all 5 books, somewhere around 4000-5000 pages total, and I can honestly say I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I also see the TV version diverging from the books now which is annoying in a one book/one movie context, but now it will annoy me for how many years as they crawl along making these shows? I think I'm out
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I heard book 5 is awful.

They are going to come to a bit of a bind at some point. Even if they split every book into 2 seasons from this point forward, they are still going catch up before book 6 and 7 are both out. That's going to be a problem.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

Are you telling me there are more books? Come on now, as if 5000 pages of desribing jerkins a sigils wasn't enough. Perhaps George R. R. Martin's picture should appear in the dictionary next to the word "milking"

Bootes
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY

Bootes to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
Well they make more money from people subscribing to the channel than off the DVD/BD. So they don't want to make it that easy for people to unsubscribe.
ATMinside
join:2013-01-19
Orinda, CA

ATMinside

at least they have something

I can't even get HBOgo on my Samsung Smart TV with Comcast. Have to use my laptop to stream it to my TV via HDMI.

eh5ht
@rr.com

eh5ht

Anon

Silverlight

Do they still use that garbage silverlight like Encore/stars do? I am cable subscriber. I wish they would just do html5 after authentication so I can watch it.