spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-21 12:16:37: A new FCC initiative promises to accelerate the delivery of 1 Gbps connections to all fifty states by 2015, though the plan upon closer inspection appears to be another hollow agency puppet show. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Sounds like the same old crap.

So the real plan is to funnel more money to the ILECs who will use the money to invest in other things and continue to work to run CLECs out of business?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1

Genachowski should open a delicatessen.

Genachowski should open a delicatessen since most of his comments are Bologna. Could keep it supplied for years.

WiseOldBear
De gustibus non est disputandum
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Phoenix, AZ

Pond scum subspecies

All elected politicians are pond scum and their political appointments are a even scummier subset.
--
My perception is REALITY

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

The entire Administration from top to bottom...

...has been an endless stream of hollow promises. Why would anything think the FCC any different?

Ack ack

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepS-IyKOLE

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to battleop

Re: Sounds like the same old crap.

Agree. I have to assume some locations in each of the fifty states already access to a Gig connection if they want it and can afford it.

Super high speed for the few is not the problem. Reasonable speed for everyone at an affordable price is.

/tom

tlylework

@steadfastdns.net
reply to WiseOldBear

Re: Pond scum subspecies

While I would agree the FCC is a bit of a joke, the cost of entry into the 1GB market is cost prohibitive for most. Not to mention what the providers would charge for it. I currently pay $55/month for 18mb uverse connection. I can only imagine what I would pay for 1GB.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1Gbps

Notice it doesn't say the price has to be reasonable. I can already get 1Gbps, but it would cost me thousands monthly. So I guess my state already counts.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to tlylework

Nice, I pay $55/month for 15mbps/1mbps. Last month it was only 10mbps but they upgraded everybody for 'free'.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 edit
reply to tlylework

seems to cost about 70 bucks a month
at lest from Google.... just saying..
providing the bandwidth is cheap dirt cheap
even running fiber on poles isnt that much

Google said the most expensive part was any where they had to put cable in the ground

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

1Gbps

They better deliver on their promise. I have been doing speed tests for universal broadband ever since 2010.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to tschmidt

said by tschmidt:

Super high speed for the few is not the problem. Reasonable speed for everyone at an affordable price is.

I'd rather see 100Mbps - 200Mbps for 80%+ of the population instead of 1Gb for 10% and at good pricing and without caps. What is available now all too often is overpriced and increasingly is capped making it useless.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to elios

Google should have put all of it in the ground.

Google probably got a lot better rate for bandwidth from their upstream for Google Fiber. That's not always possible in most areas.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to tlylework

said by tlylework :

I currently pay $55/month for 18mb uverse connection.

I pay only $19.98/month for 15 Mbps ...
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Google should have put all of it in the ground.

Why? If the other utilities are on poles, why not fiber?
--
Norman

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by tschmidt:

I'd rather see 100Mbps - 200Mbps for 80%+ of the population instead of 1Gb for 10% and at good pricing and without caps. What is available now all too often is overpriced and increasingly is capped making it useless.

/\--- I nominate you as head of the FCC I completely agree with your statement

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to NormanS

Other utilities should not be on poles either. It's just an attempt to save money that doesn't really work. If you don't own the poles, then you have to pay to use them. Every time a storm blows in you have to role trucks to fix the downed lines. Their customers have to suffer service outages. They should just do it right the first time and put the cables in the ground.

elios

Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

reply to 34764170

the thing is once you run the fiber the costs for 1Gbps over 100Mbps are trivial

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Other utilities should not be on poles either. It's just an attempt to save money that doesn't really work. If you don't own the poles, then you have to pay to use them. Every time a storm blows in you have to role trucks to fix the downed lines. Their customers have to suffer service outages. They should just do it right the first time and put the cables in the ground.

Haven't had a storm blow shit off the poles, here, in more than 50 years. Had buried shit severely messed up in San Francisco twice since 1906.
--
Norman

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Sad

FCC has been soooo out of touch with America for so long their ignorance should not surprise me. But it still does.

My telco is providing 100 Gbps to Paris and London but it can't mange to give rural America a reliable phone after they killed POTS and replaced it with a digital service.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to NormanS

It is an extremely common occurrence in the Midwest. Or trees falling on lines. Google will find that out sooner or later. Kansas city is in an area that can get ice storms too, although not overly common there. Ice will bring down everything.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to elios

said by elios:

the thing is once you run the fiber the costs for 1Gbps over 100Mbps are trivial

Who said anything about fibre? You don't need fibre to get 100Mbps - 200Mbps service to most people. Having fibre everywhere is the most ideal situation but it isn't going to happen.

Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Google probably got a lot better rate for bandwidth from their upstream for Google Fiber.

They receive better rates because they're purchasing a large quantity of bandwidth. Other companies can do the same thing. Kansas City also isn't lacking in transit providers so there is competition. The markets that truly get raped typically only have one or two options. If companies are buying a lot of bandwidth they can backhaul it in from another major city. You tend to be screwed when you don't need a lot of it and there are very limited options.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Are you going to provide the millions in additional capital it would take to do so?

elios

Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

reply to 34764170

to get 100/100 or 200/200 you bet your ass you need fiber
sure as hell not going to doing over the copper on the poles now ask AT&T how thats working out

keithps
Premium
join:2002-06-26
Soddy Daisy, TN
reply to NormanS

I pay only $69 for 100/100Mbps...

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to 34764170

Google has the money.

The cost of putting lines in the ground often times pays for itself in the long run. But companies don't like to think long term.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to 34764170

They receive better rates because they are Google. Munis and cooperatives struggle greatly under the cost of upstream bandwidth. Sure buying more makes bandwidth less expensive, but in order to buy more you have to spend more. That isn't an option for a small company. Only large corporations or those fortunate enough to be in an area where upstream bandwidth is cheaper.

If my ISP tried to offer 1Gbps for $70 per month, they would lose money on the cost of bandwidth alone.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to elios

said by elios:

to get 100/100 or 200/200 you bet your ass you need fiber
sure as hell not going to doing over the copper on the poles now ask AT&T how thats working out

wrong.

Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

They receive better rates because they are Google. Munis and cooperatives struggle greatly under the cost of upstream bandwidth. Sure buying more makes bandwidth less expensive, but in order to buy more you have to spend more. That isn't an option for a small company. Only large corporations or those fortunate enough to be in an area where upstream bandwidth is cheaper.

If my ISP tried to offer 1Gbps for $70 per month, they would lose money on the cost of bandwidth alone.

Your comment was commenting on cheaper bandwidth only. Google is offering the service cheaper because it is subsidized by ads! One has nothing to do with the other and they're two completely different issues.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Google has the money.

The cost of putting lines in the ground often times pays for itself in the long run. But companies don't like to think long term.

Yes, they're rolling out an all fibre network but they're not thinking long term.