spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-21 12:16:37: A new FCC initiative promises to accelerate the delivery of 1 Gbps connections to all fifty states by 2015, though the plan upon closer inspection appears to be another hollow agency puppet show. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to NormanS

Re: Pond scum subspecies

If you are near the immediate fault line, then buried could be a problem. But that is a pretty insignificant amount of area.

Buried utilities have proven themselves over and over again.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by silbaco:

If you are near the immediate fault line, then buried could be a problem. But that is a pretty insignificant amount of area.

There is no "fault line". There multiple fault zones. Three of the big ones, nearby, are the San Andreas, the Hayward, and the Calaveras. There are hundreds of smaller ones.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to 34764170

Re: Sounds like the same old crap.

said by 34764170:

said by elios:

the thing is once you run the fiber the costs for 1Gbps over 100Mbps are trivial

Who said anything about fibre? You don't need fibre to get 100Mbps - 200Mbps service to most people. Having fibre everywhere is the most ideal situation but it isn't going to happen.

but in the long run we will hit another brick wall with copper.. delaying upgrades will cost more in the long run but agree 100mbps - 200mbps should be a standard for us in the USA no exception.. with out countrys blowin past us at 1gbps this shouldn't be to hard for the cable co's to deal with

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

The FCC is a wholy owned subsidiary of Big Telecom, Inc

The best Government money can buy.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

Believe it when I see it

I'll believe it when I see it happen.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to tschmidt

said by tschmidt:

Agree. I have to assume some locations in each of the fifty states already access to a Gig connection if they want it and can afford it.

Super high speed for the few is not the problem. Reasonable speed for everyone at an affordable price is.

/tom

That last line speaks volumes!!

Unlike how most people on any kind of a tech forum usually think, not everyone in the worlds needs or even wants a symmetrical 1Gbps connection!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

whiteshp

join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Most people don't need 1 Gbps.

You don't need it because you don't have it. Look beyond your feet! If we had 1Gbps service you would see remote cloud, family, or "group" LANs forming. Ie: I would swap hobby nature video files we all take (often around 1+ gig size) with many of my relatives and it would be as if they were connected to my local LAN. Right now my only option is to send them snail mail or compress them to crap quality. Just because monopolies don't allow it to exist doesn't mean people wouldn't find new life transforming ways to benefit from it. I'm sure when the first cars were offered many people said "No one ever NEEDS to go as fast as 20 mph!" "What a huge waste!"

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

2 edits
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

One such major improvement that is being rolled out by carriers around the world over the next 2 years is Vectoring which will allow existing connections able to attain 25Mbps service to now be able to attain 75/100 Mbps service.

I agree vectoring is interesting what you neglected to mention is that all vectored DLSAMs need to be under the same management so it does not work well when ILECs and CLECS serve out of the same CO. In my case my phone and ADSL is supplied by a CLEC. There are two CLECs that collocate out of our Central Office. That being said even when DSLAM are managed by multiple entities vectoring should still help – but it is not the magic bullet to higher speed.

»www2.alcatel-lucent.com/techzine···fiction/

Can you provide a link to a 3X vectoring improvement you cite, that is much greater then I though possible?

said by 34764170:

Using VDSL2 Bonding which utilizes 2 pair that can be raised to 150/200Mbps. Alcatel-Lucent is working on Phantom Mode which when used in conjunction with Bonding can further raise that upwards of 300Mbps.

Bonding is actually pretty interesting for carriers that are not “loop poor.” There was a big build out during the heyday of dialup so many carriers have excess loop capacity. In our case at one time we had three phone lines and a SDSL connection. Today we are down to a single voice/ADSL connection. However loop bonding is relatively expensive (multiple loops, DSLAM, modems) but is better than nothing.

As long as we are navel gazing getting rid of ATM would yield a quick 11 % increase in effective ADSL speed.

said by 34764170:

You don't feed VDSL2 directly from the CO. That's why you build VRADs close to the customer.

The problem is 1) VRADs are expensive, 2) you need a lot of them, 3) they need backup power, 4)suburban NIMBY complaints, 5) you are still limited by copper.

said by 34764170:

Trust me I'd love to see fibre everywhere but it is not realistic. Even Verizon with their FiOS did a pretty poor job at it.

That is the real question – how long will we live with a band-aid approach to broadband and when will we migrate to a purpose built high-speed network?

/tom

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

google's model works

for it to work without full regulatory reform and price controls? that's fantasyland...

Paxio
Premium
join:2011-02-23
Santa Clara, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Gigbit isn't the panacea -- OPEN ACCESS is

What's the point of having a gigabit connection if you are faced with the same monopoly which dictates your choice of data, voice, and video?

The real issue isn't just gigabit -- it's a gigabit connection with open access to all service providers at reasonable wholesale rates. That would open up a true marketplace of digital services and has the potential to revolutionize the way services are delivered.

The marketplace really does drive down cost and improve service, we just need a way to make it work for us in the telecom area.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Cobra11M

said by Cobra11M:

but in the long run we will hit another brick wall with copper.. delaying upgrades will cost more in the long run but agree 100mbps - 200mbps should be a standard for us in the USA no exception.. with out countrys blowin past us at 1gbps this shouldn't be to hard for the cable co's to deal with

I'm not denying that. Anyway, the cable co's have to go fibre too. DOCSIS is just a short term option.

bdray222

join:2004-12-21
Littleton, CO

Where's the Earthlink?!

Fire this Douche! What happened to companies like Earthlink...10 years ago you could get dsl for fractions of the price of any big corp crap company and it typically worked better too! Where did they all go? If the trend had continued, you'd probably be able to get a 10M connection for about 10 bucks right now...I can't even FIND an advertisement of ANY sort on the net for such type companies or deals any more...MY options? Centurylink or Comcast...YEAH...F'em'both!

bdray222

join:2004-12-21
Littleton, CO

1 recommendation

reply to tschmidt

TY, well said....my additional 2cents...they need to be killing 2 birds with one stone as far as I'm concerned and laying cable vaults across the country for easy access and upgrades to facilitate a minimum of fiber and a new underground power grid (that's a whole nother topic ...Fiber is simply the only solution for data needs and growth...100 Terrabits per sec recently on fiber? Copper people? Really? You really think we won't be pushing that kind of data relatively soon? lol ...I've amassed a Terrabyte of music, would have been laughed at for even using the term "terra" ten years ago.

anon name

@rr.com

Karl: Excellant writing

Karl: Excellant writing

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

1 recommendation

reply to bdray222

Re: Where's the Earthlink?!

said by bdray222:

Fire this Douche! What happened to companies like Earthlink...10 years ago you could get dsl for fractions of the price of any big corp crap company and it typically worked better too! Where did they all go? If the trend had continued, you'd probably be able to get a 10M connection for about 10 bucks right now...I can't even FIND an advertisement of ANY sort on the net for such type companies or deals any more...MY options? Centurylink or Comcast...YEAH...F'em'both!

Earthlink is still in business, and they still sell DSL, as well as cable in some franchises. The latter was the result of a merger settlement, the former is just traditional wholesale.

What happened was Earthlink never invested in plant, they're just reselling someone else's network, so they don't have much say in the product beyond their current contract. Meanwhile, the companies that DID pay for the copper lowered their prices, offered faster services, and the cable industry did as well, so firms like EL became increasingly irrelevant - though we still use them occasionally.

We actually had DSL service for under $10/month for two years - but I doubt that price-point was sustainable; copper maintenance requires union guys with bucket trucks - and someone has to replenish the N2 bottles.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to bdray222
There are still CLECs (competitive local exchange carriers) out there. I just switched my DSL and phone from the ILEC (incumbent local exchange carrier) FairPoint to an ILEC G4 Communications. Much faster DSL at a significantly lower price.

But as elray See Profile mentioned to be competitive requires companies collocate equipment at the Phone Company Central Office and rent customer copper pair (UNE) unbundled network element. Most alternate DSL provides are simply reselling phone company DSL. As far as I know there is no unbundling of the Cable Network so that is not an option for Cable.

Long term I don't know how this will play out as the ILECs convert from copper to fiber but that is many years down the road.

/Tom

RAZ Black

join:2001-10-04
Mansfield, TX

worthless idea from a worthless government

this isn't going to do jackshit for 99% of americans...

we are already worse off then most western countries when it comes to broadband servicing... it's pathetic.
--
-= ok, who turned out the lights? =-