dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-21 17:34:46: T-Mobile is expected to shake things up this year by getting rid of handset subsidies entirely, meaning users can pay the cost of the full device, or they can enter in to a financing program wherein they pay $15-$20 a month until the device is paid o.. ..

JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

$$$

1070.50 for a Iphone 5?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Re: $$$

Clearly they were on crack when they made that suggestion.
JJV
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA

JJV

Premium Member

»www.walmart.com/cp/Apple ··· /1101612

Riusaki
join:2000-09-14
Space

Riusaki

WTF...

$647 for Galaxy S II?!?!? You can get a Nexus 4 cheaper from Amazon or eBay. Lol
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

New phones!

Bring in your car title, and we'll set you up with a new phone ... TODAY!

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium Member
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL

viperpa33s

Premium Member

Outrageous

$1,070 for an Iphone 5? They aren't even offering a Samsung Galaxy S III? I can get a Samsung Galaxy S III for less than half the price of the Iphone 5.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

Of course...

With the consumer now bearing the entire cost of the handsets, the price of the corresponding service will be much lower, or is this just another one of those "Let's bleed the sheeple some more and make our PROFIT$ EVEN BIGGER" things?
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

Re: Of course...

Yeah, the service should cost less and there should be no 2 year contracts and no ETF's. Both of those things were all about the handset. With the handset subsidies out of the picture, they will now have to start competing on price and service instead of what handsets they offer.

Lower price, better service....maybe this could be a good thing for consumers.

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

said by 8744675:

Lower price, better service....maybe this could be a good thing for consumers.

Ummmmm...a word of advice... DON'T hold your breath waiting.

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium Member
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL

viperpa33s to 8744675

Premium Member

to 8744675
I agree.

Being that you have to pay full price for the phone, the cell phone companies won't have to pay the money to subsidize the phone. In that case they should get rid of the contracts and your cellphone bill should be a lot less. Of course that won't happen, not by a long shot.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to 8744675

Anon

to 8744675
said by 8744675:

Yeah, the service should cost less and there should be no 2 year contracts and no ETF's.

With t-mobile you are still required to sign a 2 year contract. And why shouldn't you? If you are financing a phone you shouldn't be able to bail before it's paid off.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

Time

Premium Member

said by anon anon :

said by 8744675:

Yeah, the service should cost less and there should be no 2 year contracts and no ETF's.

With t-mobile you are still required to sign a 2 year contract. And why shouldn't you? If you are financing a phone you shouldn't be able to bail before it's paid off.

If the phone is paid off, you should be able to bail.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

said by Time:

If the phone is paid off, you should be able to bail.

And it take 20 months to pay off the phone. I think you need to look up how t-mobiles new plans work. Take say a Galaxy SIII you pay $200 down and then pay $20 extra on your bill for 20 months to pay off the other $400. Now please explain why someone should be able to leave before those 20 months are up?

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

2 edits

meeeeeeeeee

and we'll just forget about the OTHER 4 months they're locked into AFTER the phone is paid off. No biggie... right?

The "2 year contract" was a "gimmee" that people conceded to in order to get the subsidy. Now that the subsidy is gone, there should be NO commitment past the paying off of the phone. REALLY, there should be NO commitment from Day 1. They are selling you a phone period.When you buy a car, does the company financing it tell you on which streets you can drive it? Well, neither should the company selling you a phone.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to anon anon

to anon anon
I think they point of the separation is that the phone loan is separate from the phone communication service. If you have to sign a 2-year communication service contract, then they still have subsidies.

Personally, I would expect a 2 year loan contract, not a two year service contract.

Anyway, I don't want any phone from T-mobile and I certainly would not pay full price for it and still suffer the bloatware. I buy my phones from OEM only. But I can afford that.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I financed my iPad Mini

On my income, I could not afford to buy the iPad mini outright. So I took advantage of the VZW tablet financing program. I might be able to pay it off sooner than the full payback period. I also activated it on my share everything plan.
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

Maggs

Premium Member

Well....

$450 for an unlocked iPhone 4, plus NYS tax = $450+ $39.93 (NY Tax) = $489.93+ $36 activation fee = $525.93 / 24 months = $21.91 per month.

My contract is $64.67 per month (includes 20% discount), so $64.67+ $21.91 = $86.58 per month, not including additional taxes and fees for financing the phone.

Best way to combat this is to mass port phone numbers to other carriers and cancel your contract (claim violation of RICO statutes). All cell phone providers collude to set prices. Notice how all the text message plans match across many carriers. Or you could always report your carrier to the IRS for tax fraud.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Great

People buying things they can't afford. The American way. At least this isn't big enough to cause a global financial meltdown when the sh*t hits the fan.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA

Premium Member

Re: Great

said by BiggA:

People buying things they can't afford. The American way. At least this isn't big enough to cause a global financial meltdown when the sh*t hits the fan.

Wait for it. When this is rinsed and repeated enough times it will be a contributing factor.

meeeeeeeeee
Newburgh, NY

1 edit

meeeeeeeeee

Re: Great

Don't have to wait much longer. As soon as the Chinese (the nice people who own MOST of our debt) can replace the income they generate from us, with income from other countries... they call in the notes and WE ARE HISTORY. That is why they have trade missions in every OTHER country aggressively marketing. In 2016 China is projected to surpass the US in wealth. They have the largest military in the world, a brand new fleet and Air Force with the most advanced systems in the world. We're toast kiddies.

All the sheeple cheered when the USSR went bankrupt... "Communism is Dead" they shouted... Well they kinda forgot about the LARGEST Communist population in the world... one that hates us virulently. They hate our system of government, our way of life, everything about us... and they used our OWN greed to bring us down.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

I can see it now:

New fees:
Outstanding amount Interest fee
Mandatory handset insurance fee (till debt is paid)
Loan regulatory fee
Loan insurance fee
Loan administrative fee

Gotta love it!!!