spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-22 10:11:09: Continuing their spectrum acquisition spree, AT&T has announced that they'll be buying Alltel's customers and spectrum for $780 million. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22

Does this deal require Government approval?

It's unclear from this article: does AT&T's plans to acquire Alltel require government approval? If so, is it anticipated to be approved easily?

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

"Awaken the Kracken!!!"

Granted nobody but AT&T really knows how much spectrum AT&T really needs, and competitors and consumer advocates alike continue to worry that AT&T is simply using their deep pockets to acquire additional spectrum to prevent new competitors from entering the market.

Nailed it!

SrsBsns

join:2001-08-30
Oklahoma City, OK

AT&T

"We don't want to be the best wireless carrier. We want to be the only wireless carrier".

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to morbo

Re: Does this deal require Government approval?

Yes, and it should be approved. After blocking T-Mobile AT&T complained the FCC was slow to approve spectrum deals and the FCC has sped up approval process somewhat...

joe94395

join:2006-04-10
Taylors, SC

1 recommendation

AT&T doesn't know how to compete

They don't know how to compete. They only know how to conquer anyone who is being remotely competitive. I'm so happy they weren't allowed to buy T-Mobile. I'm enjoying my $24 per month cell phone bill so much!

JasonOD

@comcast.net

Dude, ATT didn't get to wherre they are today without competing and succeeding the the marketplace giving millions of new customers what they want and who find value in their services.

If you want to critisize, look at sprint's crippling nextel and clearwire debacles, which effectively took them out of the game as a legitimate provider. Or Verizon's selling out to a foreign carrier.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

new wireless carriers

Granted nobody but AT&T really knows how much spectrum AT&T really needs, and competitors and consumer advocates alike continue to worry that AT&T is simply using their deep pockets to acquire additional spectrum to prevent new competitors from entering the market.

What would the odds be of new competitors emerging though? Which company and/or group of investors is going to sink tens of billions of dollars into building a new nationwide wireless network? It's a mature market, for better or worse, and mature markets don't tend to see new outfits jumping into them with the forlorn hope of snatching market share away from their established competitors. More to the point, do we need a fifth nationwide wireless network? How much infrastructure duplication are you prepared to condone, and what happens if you overbuild and turn the industry into a bubble (think of the housing market) that later crashes?

A better policy approach would have been to give Sprint and T-Mobile priority access to better spectrum holdings. Verizon and AT&T should not have been allowed to gobble up the 700mhz bands freed by the sunsetting of analog TV. They already have 850mhz cellular licenses across most of the country, while T-Mobile and Sprint are forced to compete using less attractive PCS and AWS holdings (Sprint does have a limited amount of lower spectrum holdings inherited from Nextel's iDen network, not sure if it's enough to deploy LTE on though)

There's simply no way for Sprint and T-Mobile to compete on a level playing field when they are forced to use frequencies that don't penetrate as well as the ones AT&T and Verizon have. They can spend more capital to equal their coverage, or they can have an inferior product, neither approach is a recipe for success.

I'm not much for interference in the marketplace, but the airwaves are a public resource, and once upon a time we only issued licenses for them if it would advance the public good. We ought to get back to that mentality, IMHO, and create something of a level playing field in this industry.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

This is the kind of shit that makes me wanna move to...

another country... If the FCC approves this kind of crap then I will definitely contemplate moving to another country.

Seriously. Is it critical or vital for AT&T to go ahead and acquire another wireless carrier to survive.

Go f***ing ahead and kill anything that remotely resembles competition. F***ing A**holes.
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

phazah

join:2004-05-02
Findlay, OH

kinda sad...

Bad enough ATT is pumping out inferior product under the dsl/uverse shell, now taking over another halfway ok smaller business(that is a shell of its old self).

no competition anymore....

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

reply to cchhat01

Re: This is the kind of shit that makes me wanna move to...

said by cchhat01:

another country... If the FCC approves this kind of crap then I will definitely contemplate moving to another country.

Seriously. Is it critical or vital for AT&T to go ahead and acquire another wireless carrier to survive.

Go f***ing ahead and kill anything that remotely resembles competition. F***ing A**holes.

Let us know how that works out for you! Bon Voyage!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Divestitures

Hopefully this won't involve divestitures. Last time a carrier was bought out, AT&T and Verizon swapped customers. I want to remain a Verizon customer. My mother would rather be on AT&T though (she likes AT&T better, she thinks Verizon is predatory but I was able to convince her to go on to my VZW plan).

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to Mizzat

And that is what I mean. Thanks for that tidbit that sums up the response that everyone has when someone tries to make a legitimate point.
When did we simply decide to not care? If people here can see the "problem" with mergers, why isn't it that we can't take action to ensure that such mergers don't go through.
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

Gobble!

They were going to Gobble somebody up. Maybe T-Mobile will finally aquire MetroPCS and maybe LEAP?

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN

2 edits
reply to cchhat01

I'd prefer to see little remnants of something that used to be that wasn't doing anything or going anywhere get acquired by someone like AT&T. I hate small little regional carriers.

This will help AT&T in some of those markets if they are acquiring 850mhz or 700mhz where they didn't have it before. I'd rather see them get it than it going to waste.

And yes I live in a market where a small regional carrier called Centennial got bought out by AT&T. Centennial was GSM only, had a blanket 850mhz (AT&T did not have 850mhz) network that was going to waste because they weren't going to do anything cool with it (like launch HSPA). I also hated their plans and how they went about things. Ever since they were acquired things have been much much better.

Also in my market, USCC got bought out by Sprint which i am also glad to see because Sprint was crippled here due to lack of spectrum. Now Sprint will become a lot better which i prefer since they are more "national" than USCC (who i used to have as a provider and hated roaming everywhere else i went).

This small Alltel network isn't supposed to exist anyways because it was divested, it's just that no one bothered with picking it up until now so i don't know what the hell the fuss is all about.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to morbo

said by morbo:

It's unclear from this article: does AT&T's plans to acquire Alltel require government approval? If so, is it anticipated to be approved easily?

It needs FCC approval for sure. Will it need DOJ approval for anti-trust purposes? I expect they have to sign off too, but a small deal like this may just be an automatic DOJ approval.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to spewak

Re: "Awaken the Kracken!!!"

said by spewak:

Nailed it!

They need the spectrum says Deloitte:
»Deloitte: Spectrum Issues to Cause Network Congestion
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to cchhat01

said by cchhat01:

You are not being serious - just trying to make a point. Nobody, of sound judgement anyway, moves to another country because of cellphone service.
--

big_e

join:2011-03-05

Still costs 20 cents per text message.

Maybe with all this extra spectrum, they will finally lower their horrendously overpriced texting charges. I think the odds are greater that I'd win the powerball lottery.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
reply to zephxiii

For a company this small, only half a million customers. I don't see this as being a big deal.

I'm more concerned about the only real competition to AT&T and Verizon, which is T-mobile and Sprint I think we need to make sure they have access to more spectrum as well.

Sadly the small regional wireless carriers just don't have the resources to keep up with the big 4 in a time of fairly rapidly evolving data networks.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by MovieLover76:

For a company this small, only half a million customers. I don't see this as being a big deal.

I'm more concerned about the only real competition to AT&T and Verizon, which is T-mobile and Sprint I think we need to make sure they have access to more spectrum as well.

Sadly the small regional wireless carriers just don't have the resources to keep up with the big 4 in a time of fairly rapidly evolving data networks.

Evidently Sprint has plenty of spectrum with more on the way in pending deals.
--

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to JasonOD

Re: AT&T doesn't know how to compete

They didn't "compete" with anything. They started out as a protected monopoly... Regional Bell Operating Companies ("RBOC") and as one of few Long Distance companies. They sleazed their way into wireless the way only people with billions can... they bought up all the real estate (and more than a few politicians.) How many wireless carriers have been bought up by AT&T to make today's AT&T Wireless?

If we're pointing fingers, we should be shaming every carrier. They all buy up spectrum and then sit on it. The FCC really should police this better, but a) they have no real power, and b) they're bought and sold just like the spectrum.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to Crookshanks

Re: new wireless carriers

*cough*Lightsquared*cough*

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to spewak

Re: "Awaken the Kracken!!!"

Not even close. A statement like that really means they don't have a damn clue on what they are talking about. You can't make blanket generalized statements about spectrum because it is a per-market situation depending on the spectrum any given company has....and i can tell u AT&T is running short and behind Sprint, Tmobile, and VZW when it comes to clean spectrum for LTE. (mostly due to T-mobile's and VZW's recent AWS acquisition).

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL
reply to morbo

I cant see how it can be approved unless they force them to sell the spectrum.
ATT has already been spectrum squatting defying the FCC rules that they must use the spectrum.
Why would the FCC allow them to squat on more of the spectrum. Soon ATT is going to own all of it if they dont stop them.

Expand your moderator at work

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA
reply to cchhat01

said by cchhat01:

And that is what I mean. Thanks for that tidbit that sums up the response that everyone has when someone tries to make a legitimate point.
When did we simply decide to not care? If people here can see the "problem" with mergers, why isn't it that we can't take action to ensure that such mergers don't go through.

Anyone that wants to move to another country because of a corporation buying another, I want to encourage to be as far away from me as possible. If you think there aren't major carriers or merges in the UK, Europe or otherwise, you're sadley mistaken. If you think you'll get a better deal there, wait till you see how much you have to pay for a good device. Good luck with your move.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to brianiscool

Re: Gobble!

I'd guess Sprint will be the one to acquire Leap. Realistically, Sprint would have been the better buyer for both companies. They could then turn around and sell the AWS spectrum to T-Mobile and everyone would be happy.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

There's a reason new-Alltel exists: divestitures

This is a bigger anti-trust issue than you'd think; the Bush administration didn't let the VZW-Alltel deal go through without making Verizon divest certain parts of the network that overlapped. Most of those went to AT&T. THe remainder...where both Verizon and AT&T had significant service on their own...went to ATN (new Alltel).There's a reason AT&T didn't get the spectrum and customers the first time.

Then again, ATN probably wants out at this point (it's tough being a spread-out small wireless carrier, competing against companies 100x your size), and maybe AT&T is really looking for ex-Commnet spectrum, which was never part of the old Alltel and thus isn't as big of a competitive issue.

But I don't trust the "not as much of a competitive issue" side when we're talking about a company that tried to become the only nationwide GSM provider in the US by purchasing a company whose footprint almost completely overlaps with AT&T's.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

ha

eh, doesn't matter, T-Mobile & Metro is gonna be the best here in my city!

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to Oh_No

thing is maybe the FCC is setting them up!, ha would it be something if our government forced all of them to share spectrum across the board! That's highly possible it will happen soon weather its 5 - 10 years down the road.. it will no doubt happen