spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-22 12:18:33: AT&T customers in our forums note that AT&T has been experiencing a service outage across numerous states. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

I love it..."limited numbers" and "some states"

yet it seems that "most" if not "all" states had customers hurt by this outage.

ESH

@epsi.net

even employees don't know what's going on

We have 2 doctor's clinics on uVerse, been down all day, KCMO metro area. 3rd location that aparently hasn't had a reset and is still working. Called my local uverse installer, who happens to be a good personal friend, and even he can't get any info other than "there's a majoy outage". no cause, no ETR. Only being told not to bother doing any new installations at this time.
Indication on modem is no IP recieved from the DHCP request. All our locations are static IPs. ZERO, NaDa, NOTHING from AT&T. Don't even have anything posted on their website! For a communications company, they sure don't seem to know how to communicate.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

Re: even employees don't know what's going on

That is very typical of things in the telecom industry in general. the tier one call center rep is not dumb as many here think. They are however rarely given the full package of data about the situation.

a cable head end could literally be on fire, full four alarm fun. the call center rep might only get a notice "Head end for this area has had an emergency and may see disruptions, please inform your customers it is being worked on."
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports
Kipper63
Premium
join:2012-12-30
Nashville, TN
Our POTS service has been down for one week. Today, an AT&T Outside Line Technician came to our facility to repair our POTS. He stated technicians had not been told of the U-Verse internet service outage for more than 24 hours after it began. Does AT&T operate under a formal "need to know" policy?

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by Kipper63:

Our POTS service has been down for one week. Today, an AT&T Outside Line Technician came to our facility to repair our POTS. He stated technicians had not been told of the U-Verse internet service outage for more than 24 hours after it began. Does AT&T operate under a formal "need to know" policy?

POTS shouldn't be affected by a uverse outage. I would think it shouldn't be. If you are having a pots problem, please contact us and I can get to work on it.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!
Kipper63
Premium
join:2012-12-30
Nashville, TN

said by David:

POTS shouldn't be affected by a uverse outage. I would think it shouldn't be. If you are having a pots problem, please contact us and I can get to work on it.

Thanks for offering to help out, David. The POTS Outside Line Technician coincidentally just happened to be onsite to fix a POTS problem (broken jumper in the VRAD) during the time of the U-Verse Outage.

WWDx2

@myvzw.com

Charleston SC

Have not seen any posts about this but the Charleston area is affected. Mine went out overnight (22 Jan). Still no service at 1515 hours. Spoke with a Uverse tech who told me that "limited numbers of subscribers were out in S.C." Limited--yeah right.

Thirsty III

@bellatlantic.com

Re: Charleston SC

Limited number is correct. Limited to those that have U-Verse.

Jimmy99

@12.21.164.x

AT&T U-verse outage

We are still out and have been all day.
jfpauley in Iron Station NC
c4junk
Premium
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL

Re: AT&T U-verse outage

Same in S.E. Orlando, fl
c4junk
Premium
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL

AT&T Suffering Major U-Verse Outage

Tv, phone, internet been down all day S.E. Orlando, Fl.

Dwayne

@comcastbusiness.net

Uverse

Never had it never will. Biggest outage I ever saw!!!!!
funny0

join:2010-12-22

whoosh and the world was a better place

and i wondered why all the shills weren't posting yesterday ROFL

att user

@spcsdns.net

i think the outage started earlier

I'm in the Dallas, TX area and noticed internet slow down and tv issues Sunday morning just after mid-night (central time). Then Sunday evening about 8 my router reboot for no reason while I was working. From that point everything just got worst. Then on Monday, about noon central I lost everything and still down. They sent a tech out this afternoon , he tested everything before he touched anything and said I had a great significant strength , but he could not see me from the outside. Let's see how they handle this outage over 30 hours and counting...

BHB

@myvzw.com

AT&T

We have made four or more calls to ATT&T about our lack of land line, computer and tv since we last accessed any ot them last night. They denied we had a land line with them which was disturbing since we do. More importantly was getting hold of a human is impossible. Time Warner as bad as we experienced them would not have taken as long to resolve our issues.
ATT&T what is going on?

Dre

@myvzw.com

Widespread

Been out here in Orlando since we woke up this morning. Att rep told me to expect it to be out 24-48 hours and that it affects 18 states. 18 states, yikes. Sucks to be me, or anyone else living in this THIRD of the country. Uggh.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07

Tell the NSA to plug the cords back in

Just have the NSA put the cords back into the old ports for now.

edburns

@bhntampa.com

Out in Orlando

It's been out here in Orlando all day Tuesday. Please FIOS come to my market!

zimmiefan

@comcast.net

AT&T Suffering Major U-Verse Outage

Here in Jacksonville FL we've been out of service for almost 24 hours. AT&T Service rep offered a $10 credit for our trouble. I asked for $20 and it was accepted. I bid too low! Today's episode continues a nightmarish litany of billing and service issues with AT&T. Complaining to state regulators eventually got AT&T's attention in prior episodes. This company's expertise is in obfuscation and the run-around, not telcom.

CDrake

@areti.net

This has something to do with Six Strikes

There's no coincidence that this happened the same month that the Six Strikes agreement, a deal between the RIAA & MPAA and every major ISP in the USA, was to go into effect.

Recently, Comcast had a "denial of service virus" affect them for a couple of days as well. Big surprise.

For those who don't know, Six Strikes is an anti-P2P measure wherein the ISPs use a third party tracking company to spy on your traffic. Specifically, the third party connects to a Torrent and logs all IP addresses it finds seeding, and reports them to their respective ISP. The ISP warns, then throttles, then disconnects the user as the "strikes" are crossed. There was recent controversy when it was revealed that servers would be upgraded as a part of this to track business traffic and essentially put an end to "Open Wifi".

The workaround would be to use a proxy or a VPN to hide your IP address. This would make you invisible to the third party company. Interestingly, I am a U-Verse customer whose internet is "out" due to the "outage" right now, but I'm connected as long as I use a VPN. Anything blaming the DHCP services is a lie. It's the DNS that is being affected, which is what would resolve your IP for those third party companies. Using a DNS server other than an AT&T unit seems to bypass the issue...just as it would bypass the tracking.

SW

@sbcglobal.net

Slow Internet speed/ mismatched IP address

In Broward County, Florida my internet service went out about 2 AM Tuesday morning. An AT&T rep in the Philippines I was able to reach about 20 minutes later said there were some outages in the Southeast and service should be restored in 6 to 8 hours; he also suggested I unplug my modem for over 10 seconds to reset it after service is restored. When I awoke later in the afternoon I checked the Internet and I had service, but I did reset my modem--I don't know if that helped, hurt, or had no effect, but streaming videos, on YouTube for example, would not run smoothly and kept stopping. I have up to 12 mbs but Speedtest.net showed only about 7 MBS. After being on hold for about a half an hour I spoke to another rep in the Philippines who spent a lot of time with me and early on discovered that my wireless gateway IP address as shown in my computer did not match what she had. She gave me the correct one and I went to the online site for it and saw my technical data, most of which I don't understand. She changed the broadcast channel of my gateway from the default setting of 1 progressively up to 11, the strongest, and it increased the mps to about 10.5; why the Wi-Fi signal strength would do that I don't know, but I'd just as soon not have any more powerful radio signals in my home that I need to, and if I had near 12 mps before with the minimum strength signal, why do I need the strongest one now, especially since it doesn't need to reach that far. Hopefully when this outage problem is cleared in a couple days I should be able to return to the lower strength wi-Fi signal and still get 10 or 11 mps. Another thought, could the slow streaming speed be due to the servers on the sending website being affected by this outage also? Couple months ago when is similar thing happened I got a message that it was a problem with formatting of my local area server, whatever that is. Could that be a problem now?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

2 edits

Re: Slow Internet speed/ mismatched IP address

That rep is an idiot. The transmit power does not change by channel. The frequency gets slightly higher or lower(along the 60 MHz wide 2.4GHz band). Changing channels will not fry your brain. The channel does not have more power, just likely less congestion than the other channel. In fact, all else being equal, higher frequency=poorer wall penetration. Just look at the issues Clearwire users have with that(using the 2.3 GHz band) vs other wireless carriers(most of which use lower frequencies between 700MHz and 1900MHz). I have APs on different channels along my property and the one on channel 1 actually carries the farthest(about 1000 feet) due to lesser congestion, antenna orientation, and type(this one was intended to blast down the street from the attic to let me walk around with my smartphone and laptop while the others balance load between APs and skirt around nasty walls for wifi signals, as well as using the less congested 5GHz band on devices that support it). Most routers transmit at 30-70mW, which is very low. I would stay away from electricity, cell phones, microwaves, the sun, cars, etc if you are going to buy into this FUD. According to wikipedia »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi#Safety wifi exposure for a year is about the same radiation(non-ionizing btw, which is way different from harmful "ionizing" radiation, and has not been proven to do any harm) as being on a cell phone call for 20 minutes. Better throw out that cell phone!!! Stay out of range of radio and TV stations while you're at it Not intending to make fun of you. Just make your fear sound ridiculous as it is so you can sleep easier btw that figure sounds correct as a cell phone emits an average of 150mW right next to your head, instead of several feet away.

PS-Your computer's IP address not matching your public one is called NAT(Network Address Translation), which makes a router a router. No malfunction here, except for the rep. Again, I reiterate, that rep is an idiot!
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

SW

@sbcglobal.net

Re: Slow Internet speed/ mismatched IP address

I agree that rep in the Philippines was an idiot, but at least AT&T chooses better English speakers than other companies--it's the content of what she says that's at fault. I've only been online for about half a year so there's a learning curve for me; in fact I got my first cell phone about five years ago, and I'm 64. I only use the cell phone couple times a week and now I usually have it on Bluetooth in the car through the speakers. Of course alternative doctors warn against keeping the cell phone in your pocket==reduced fertility and all, but I have plenty of virility to spare (I suppose I should put an LOL here but I can't bring myself to do such things). I moved to this area 3 1/2 years ago and checked out such things as cell phone towers (there's one a mile away), etc., and of course who knows what eddys of electromagnetic radiation are swirling throughout the house because of electrical wiring. I did move the cordless phone base unit away from my bedroom dresser (a few feet from my head) to the other side of the house just to be on the safe side after learning that it puts out a continuous signal (an At&T person originally told me three years ago that the signal only came on when the phone rang or was in use--again, AT&T misinformation). I like to know the truth about these things, but a much more concrete problem is the damage caused by the medical establishment, especially prescription drugs that kill 125,000 people year from side effects and adverse reactions and disable millions more. In in my case worrying about nebulous radiation is like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. I see there is no shortage of conspiracy theorists regarding other aspects of the Internet, from the NSA to third-party trackers to Internet fairness debates. There's a very good movie, a satirical comedy from the 1960s entitled The Presidents Analyst starring James Coburn and a large ensemble cast. Coburn plays the title character who is at first intrigued at being called to to become president's (psycho)analyst, but is soon burdened by what is revealed to him (but not to the audience). He then becomes a target for all manner of international spy agencies who want what's in his head and our own domestic spy agencies who want to either kill him or protect him, all climbing over each other and taking each other out to get to him. Someone with an overarching birdseye view is watching all this mayhem take place, the ultimate villain of the movie--guess who that turns out to be; an entity that plans to implant transmitter chips in the brains of newborns so that the world's population can communicate with each other by thought and be charged for, and I assume monitored and controlled by, this communication. Yes, it's The Phone Company. Of course there was no Internet back then, but it would be, in effect, the analog of the brain implant communication chips envisioned in the movie, and Internet providers, search engine companies, market research companies, marketing companies, and the government all seem to be vying for control.

SW

@sbcglobal.net

Correction to my recent comment

I erroneously referred to the higher frequency channel selected for my wireless router, or gateway, as having a stronger signal because when I asked the AT&T rep in the Philippines if it was a stronger signal or just a higher frequency she said it was a stronger signal, because the difference in projection between the 1 channel and the 11 channel was 50 feet further. Of course, the higher frequency signal is more energetic which accounts, I assume, for this further reach, but whether that makes any practical difference regarding the possibility of atmospheric radiation and health effects, I don't know.

noattinnc

@spcsdns.net

Out in NC too

It has been 24 hours with no ETA.

Garo9

@mycingular.net

Uverse still out in Atlanta

Going into Day 3

ATL Uverse

@sbcglobal.net

Re: Uverse still out in Atlanta

Confirmed...Uverse is still having major issues in ATL...you would think they would send out some form of communication and keep people abreast with updates. This is not a limited outage, it is a major outage.

Daddybob

@state.nc.us

At&T Uverse outage

I am a Uverse user & was told (yesterday) that there was an outage throughout the south east and south west.

Discouraged

@sbcglobal.net

Outage since Jan 14th 2013

I have two lines because I work from home. I have been having an issue since a week ago Monday when I had major static on the primary phone line, then lost dial tone all together.This also occurred and continued on my secondary line in the fall and had not been corrected, though ATT claimed it wasn't showing a problem on their end. Anyway tech came out checked everything and determined it was my router - flipped it out and was able to restore both my lines and my other services were functioning fine. . . for 24 hours until Wed when we had no phone service, though internet and some TV functions were available. Since then have had a total of 4 tech's and supervisors saying the problem isn't with them it's the Network. Was scheduled for another tech on Monday - but he never showed. . . am still waiting .