dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-23 16:27:57: Time Warner Cable is preparing a new $50 million ad campaign aimed at winning back some of the customers they've lost in recent years to telco TV services like Verizon FiOS and AT&T U-Verse. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

seamore
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02

seamore

Premium Member

FIOS wins!

"upstart" competitors??? LMFAO

Verizon is not upstart.
Beazle3
join:2008-11-25
Greenville, MI

Beazle3

funny

instead of spending the $50 million on their infrastructure so they would not have lost the customers in the first place.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym

Premium Member

$50 million better spent

*On doing away with SDV.
*Fixing their POS DVR's
*Upping the bitrate so the picture quality is better
*Fixing their web sites so they run faster and are able to schedule recordings quicker.
*Not having 19 versions on 23 different channels of the same channel.

I'm sure I can think of more.
kxrm
join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX

kxrm

Fundamentally different?

quote:
We, as a company, are fundamentally different and better than we were a few years ago when these upstart competitors started coming in,
Really? In what way are they fundamentally different?

vangoatee
Pool's Closed
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Newark, OH

1 recommendation

vangoatee

Premium Member

Too expensive

How about LOWERING YOUR PRICES?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym

Re: $50 million better spent

said by ke4pym:

*On doing away with SDV.

SDV is great as far as what I have experienced. What dont you like about it?
lso1123
join:2005-03-22
London, KY

1 recommendation

lso1123 to Beazle3

to Beazle3

Re: funny

Exactly 50 MILLION on ad campaign, should be out in the field upgrading lines and equipment and these old moto dvrs absolutely horrible.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to vangoatee

to vangoatee

Re: Too expensive

I'll agree with that one.
If they have to ... offer a 'ESPN free' service to save money (put it in a tier)
georgeglass5
join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

georgeglass5 to vangoatee

to vangoatee
Think you'd have better luck, trying to take a dead zebra carcass from a group of lionesses.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I would welcome Time Warner into my home

I wish Comcast would sell their systems in Western Mass to Time Warner. My grandma has Time Warner and while they might not have the latest technology, they have better support. My grandma lives in Biddeford and their call center is 20 minutes away in Portland. And they have a local support number instead of a national number.

The reps also have TV sets at their desks so they can tell if its an issue with network programming or the cable signal. I know because I've called to troubleshoot grandma's TV. Try getting that level of support from Comcast, they are a nightmare to deal with where you ask two different employees the same question and you get two different answers. I wish I would have known when the franchising agreement for Comcast in our area was up for renewal because I would have liked to have gone to the hearings and demanded language that required that they maintain a local direct dial number with a local call center located in Springfield along with minimum standards for customer service. Other jurisdictions have this requirement.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

1 edit

1 recommendation

patt2k

lol

I switched from TWC , to fios the first day it was avaliable at my place , the day I called Time Warner the rep for at leas 10 minutes tried to offer me deals and so on.. I was on 30/5 plan provisioned for 50/5 without paying extra so that was 60$ , with Verizon I pay 84.99 no contract and already got the 100$ gift card for 75/35 +TV 210 channels I believie and the net is (which in reality is 84/39).

After all that time I got about 4-5 letters from time warner telling me to come back for them, I think it was TV+Turbo internet (20/2) for 99.99$ not sure.

There is no way I am coming back to them...

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

said by swintec:

said by ke4pym:

*On doing away with SDV.

"Channel is currently unavailable"

A - Try Again

That doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to, but it still happens. Signal problems can cause this as well.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by j1349705:

said by swintec:

said by ke4pym:

*On doing away with SDV.

"Channel is currently unavailable"

A - Try Again

That doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to, but it still happens. Signal problems can cause this as well.

Are you sure that is not solely a signal problem? I got that before (when SDV was first implemented here) on some channels and once we did some re-wiring and splitter reconfigurations things worked beautiful ever since.

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705

Premium Member

said by swintec:

Are you sure that is not solely a signal problem? I got that before (when SDV was first implemented here) on some channels and once we did some re-wiring and splitter reconfigurations things worked beautiful ever since.

It can be either signal or SDV related.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

No thanks

After switching to Verizon Fios, I'm saving 35 dollars on my package and instead of 10/1 internet I now have 35/35 which I absolutely just love. Even after the discounts are gone in another year, still end up paying less than with TWC and with better service.

Oh yeah, this is with a DVR and an extra HD box which I didn't have with TWC.

ocjosh
@clearwire-wmx.net

ocjosh to patt2k

Anon

to patt2k

Re: lol

I just contacted Verizon, your deal is too good to be true that has 75/5 with TV 210 and $100 gift card. They won't do it.

I guess having to stay with clear 4g for $30 old plan no speed limit cap and direct tv. It's lucky I have 11-15 down and 1 up with home modem.

bobm
@rr.com

bobm

Anon

tw idiots

They let an entire community of 3500 homes leave their service instead of letting the HOA off the hook for unoccupied homes that are in foreclosure. I know they lost 100's of customers to Fios and Satellite. What marketing idiots. The cost per customer to retrieve them after their 1-2 years on another service is huge.

bhan261
join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

bhan261

I guess they don't care

When I switched from TW to FiOS, I dropped the TW box off at 23rd Street in Manhattan. The only person there who questioned why I was cancelling TW was the guy at the front door handing out the numbers for the wait queue! I've never heard a word from TW...no calls, no letters...asking me to come back. I guess they really don't miss me!

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

saw one this morning

I saw one of these Ads this morning even know there's no Fios where I live.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to swintec

to swintec

Could be a SDV capacity issue or signal issue or even a code malfunction in Navigator. iGuide has a bug where you lose SDV server connectivity and sometimes have to reboot the box to get it going again. I know various areas use different number of SDV QAMs the most I have seen used in any division is 24 which the North Texas (Dallas metro) system has set aside for SDV. When SDV was first deployed we had 8 SDV QAMs during the launch period where they were only switching 24 HD channels to get the system running and then it went to 11 SDV QAMs while the system was having the QAMs rearranged to make room for 16 total SDV QAMs and then on the final push another group of HD 3:1 QAMs were moved to SDV and then we went to 16 SDV QAMs and they started adding more channels at first none of the SD digital channels were moved over to SDV and for a while the only SD SDV channels we had were new adds and then in 2011 TWC did another reconfiguration where they moved a ton of SD channels to SDV and freed up 12 or QAMs for SDV and eventually VOD got another 4 QAMs out of this change as well so the North Texas TWC system is loaded:
24 SDV QAMs
8 VOD QAMs
6 DOCSIS downstreams

thanks to a 860MHz rebuild that was done from 2006-2008
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to en103

Premium Member

to en103

Doesn't ESPN hinge on some other channels? There are some rules that force providers to include ESPN on higher tiers.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

put up $$ or shut up..

compen$ate customers if they are dissatisfied with the service.. there are food companies and consumer products which will buy the competition's product for the consumer if they are not happy with their product..

let's see them spend money on fios if their piddly little cable service sucks.. nobody's switching because they want to try something new.. the brands are & QOS are already established.. to win new customers you offer them better price, better service or both..

better yet, offer apples to apples services for video, phone and internet... virtually no cableco offers anywhere near the pseudo symmetrical services Verizon does..

rrm
@clearwire-wmx.net

rrm

Anon

re twc

Moved to clear since twc will rather loose a customer then lower its price. Had the promotional 29.99 for 12 months and should of been going to 34.99 for the 10/1 speed. That did not happen. Went to 52.99 since they raise prices in the meantime and would not budge.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to en103

Premium Member

to en103

I'll agree with that as well.. I got rid of their phone and internet services when they wouldn't come down... except $7.
I figured out if I went with Dish or Direct TV I would probably save about $10-$20 per month. [Even with the box rental fees!]

They probably should put the sports in a sports tier where those who want it can pay for it.
AlfredNewman6
join:2010-03-25
Columbus, OH

AlfredNewman6 to j1349705

to j1349705

I had the same issue recently even after they added a signal booster. Turns out what had happened is the box wasn't pulling down the correct information from TWC servers so the tech hooked it up to his laptop, did something, and everything started working perfectly.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to kxrm

Premium Member

to kxrm

Re: Fundamentally different?

said by kxrm:

quote:
We, as a company, are fundamentally different and better than we were a few years ago when these upstart competitors started coming in,
Really? In what way are they fundamentally different?

They hiked their rates to be more inline with other providers and to "provide better value."

/M

Hockeypuckz
@comcast.net

Hockeypuckz

Anon

LMAO I love twc - not!!

What they dont tell you is the following:

1) If you cancel how long till you get a refund back

2) If you have to setup automatic payments for this promo (i bet you do...)

3) Will TWC not charge your autopay once you cancel? (Sadly when I worked at TWC 40% of the calls a day would be people who were double and triple charged because when they cancelled the person forgot to cancel the auto pay. Keep in mind a request for your refund can take up to 4+ weeks)

4) They are putting price hikes on some channel teirs to cover the cost of new content (IE the sports pack)

TWC has perfected the con job to a new level as they lose customers for refurbished equipment, constant outsourcing, etc.

Yes... keep in mind almost 70% of customer support is outsourced, 95% + tech support is outsourced...

About the only in house staff they keep is for the Signature Home line because if your dumb enough to pay that much you can cover the bill for a person in the states...

cbcalhoun
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Newark, OH

cbcalhoun

Premium Member

Dumb pricing games!!!

Keep playing your dumb pricing games Time Warner and you will lose all your customers. Not smart, very frustrating for the end customer who will leave your services...

mking128
join:2005-08-10
Whitestone, NY

mking128

Ha Ha, not a chance

Memo to TWC: lower your box rental fees first and bundled prices as a package, then we will see about the true cost of these "deals" - oh, yes, don't forget to match speed tiers like Fios.

I looked up & down our city block, there's hardly any TWC wires running from the overhead poles to the row of houses - they've been clipped, Fios is here & you want to compete & win us back.

Paying at least $55/mo less now than a year ago when we're on TWC, and we get an extra HD box, upgraded multi-room DVR and free SD box for life. And, no rental for the Fios equipment/BBU or modem/router - now, you can keep those old RCA dumb modems & forgetabout on charging monthly fees to lease those POS.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym

SDV adds capacity. Theoretically, if they nodes are small enough, it could support an unlimited channel lineup, as there is a fraction of a QAM for each simultaneous user (and half of them are watching a network anyways).

I wish Comcast would run SDV with small nodes and go back to 2:1 HD and add every HD channel possible. I wouldn't mind an extra little box for all of that.
page: 1 · 2 · next