dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-24 10:12:31: According to the Wall Street Journal, Google has been busy building a semi-secret new wireless network at their Mountain View, California headquarters. ..

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

Google Testing Secret Wireless Network?

Not much of a secret if it's on the front page of DSLR....
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Not seeing what is experimental

If the last referenced article is right, it will be LTE on Clearwire and Google devices simply use them. Nothing too experimental about that. CLWR already plans to go to LTE anyway. If anything, this may help push Clear to LTE faster and best case is that Google helps fund.

Now if Google is planning some new protocol, that would be experimental, but doesn't make much sense.

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW

Anon

said by xenophon:

If the last referenced article is right, it will be LTE on Clearwire and Google devices simply use them. Nothing too experimental about that. CLWR already plans to go to LTE anyway. If anything, this may help push Clear to LTE faster and best case is that Google helps fund.

Now if Google is planning some new protocol, that would be experimental, but doesn't make much sense.

Google has nothing to lose and everything to gain by helping Sprint/Clear speed up their LTE rollout. 4 strong LTE players equals more device usage and more ad revenue for Google.

Since Android is the king of the budget device and Sprint is seen as a budget carrier, this makes perfect sense.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

Meh

Anything cellular above 2GHz is a mistake. If they have plans for cellular, I hope they deploy it on reasonable spectrum. They have the money.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Interesting Work

Not really one that likes to see increased RF penetration. I would have certainly preferred a more local technology like WiFi. I don't see any mention of LTE or mobile technology. Only that the spectrum is licensed. That does not mean google will be using the same technology on it. Mostly to me it means WiFi was not powerful enough for the number of base stations Google wanted to deploy.

opens more questions than it answers.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude to ssavoy

Premium Member

to ssavoy

Re: Meh

said by ssavoy:

Anything cellular above 2GHz is a mistake. If they have plans for cellular, I hope they deploy it on reasonable spectrum. They have the money.

Not in any dense area. Clearwire is great and would be even better if they had a lot of microcells which would be doable if you had FTTH deployments.

no body
@johnstonesupply.com

no body to dnoyeB

Anon

to dnoyeB

Re: Interesting Work

I'm pretty much a nobody... but I think it would be cool if the hardware that came with your fiber would broadcast a wifi signal... separate from anyone personal wireless router that they use. Then everyone with any google fiber would be able to walk around KC and be able to have some internet in all the fiberhoods.

I've always wondered why my isp doesn't do that. I mean we all have cable modems (majority are owned by my isp).... and alot of us have wireless routers plugged into cable modems... I pick up like 7 signals from my neighbors... I live in a small town but I bet there's not a spot were I'm not getting hit by a wifi signal (most protected)... but if my isp used some kinda of cable modem/router combo and then limited signal to thier customers... just seems like they could easily do something like this.

Ok, now proceed to rip this comment apart for being "stupid".
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB
This guy suggests it would be LTE. But I wonder if it could be WiFi protocol on licensed spectrum.

»stevencrowley.com/2013/0 ··· pectrum/

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

Wifi, mesh network, maybe a new protocol.

It makes no sense for them to jump into a secret experiment for anything to do with LTE. They get an experimental license from the FCC so they can tweak ota protocols and power outputs, they use modified nexus phones, and they send their people out wandering about the campus making regular old phone calls without using an incumbents network.

When it matures, they deploy it in all their fiber neighborhoods customer equipment and all that excessive bandwidth a few people here complain about gets used for covering areas with a free wireless service for certain models of cell phones.

LTE is an incumbents wet dream because it's a paid pipe, google doesn't need that but investors like to make it seem like they do.

Think of it this way, who has kept you from having regular old voip apps on your smartphone? The incumbents, who hate wifi, hate free, hate knowledgeable customers. This is stupidly simple technology that has existed for decades.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: Google Testing Secret Wireless Network?

shhhhhhhh

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Xfinity Wi-Fi

Comcast is rolling out Wi-Fi and I might give it a try. I trust Comcast as they have a uniform security platform in place.

What I don't trust about most public hotspots is they are operated by the owner of the premises (such as the owner of the restaurant or the hotel) and they be noting more than a Linksys WRT54g router with the business name as the SSID). With carrier grade Wi-Fi, they have a more secure platform and better security.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Might be an old agreement that lets them test...

If anyone remembers... clearwires wimax was originally funded by sprint, comcast, timewarner, brighthouse, intel and google.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearwire
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to whfsdude

to whfsdude

Re: Meh

In areas that have Clear it does rock if you're not on an over loaded tower. One in University Heights, OH is solid and rocks! Which makes this project so great. Lots of smaller cells and easier to load bandwidth to them. Especially if Sprint has a solid fiber network they could use or even Zayo/Above.net or a MSO.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Xfinity Wi-Fi

Don't hold your breath on that one. I went on a mini vacation across the East Coast this last July and stayed at several large hotel brands. 99% of the networks, could ALL see each other on the network. Was horrible! And the companies running the "hotspots" are actual network security and consulting companies that even deploy EMR networks for hospitals and doctors offices.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

PTMP

The wireless market for mobile devices is already saturated and of course 2.5Ghz will not be good at all. However for those hard to reach customers outside the city limits you can now get Google fiber because they might also realize that not everyone "needs" a 1Gbps connection but they can still offer smaller tiers for different price points.

So in short a PTMP application with 802.11ac that provides 1Gbps links and real world about 500Mb/sec in bridging applications that are shared among a group of customers. Since it's licensed they can reach a couple miles with it.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband

Re: Xfinity Wi-Fi

I love the ones like "HolidayInnFloor4", "HolidayInnFloor6", "HolidayInnFloor9." And they're all on the same channel. Very professional setup.

dongato17
join:2000-07-28
Atlanta, GA

dongato17 to no body

to no body

Re: Interesting Work

Not a stupid idea at all...