dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-24 17:56:53: Last month DirecTV became the first TV operator to start charging customers an extra fee for subscribing to more than one sports network. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

It's a start.

I certainly don't need or want a sports network, particularly a VERY expensive sports ONLY network in any package I would consider.
Allowing users to opt out of that (and charge a lot more to those that opt in) would be fine with me.

Next step would be to separate the Disney, nick etc (kids channels) as another add-on package.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

I signed up

Looking to save some money myself and I just signed up for Select HD, I didn't need the sports channels or showtime that came with Prime HD and I saved $10.

It's not strickly sports though, Comedy Central for instance was excluded from Select, I wasn't thrilled losing that channel, but I really need to cut back on expenses. and their were others they took out. Select HD is mostly sports trimming, but also some other more costly channels.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

2 recommendations

clone (banned)

I enjoy sports...

As do most "average joe" pay TV subscribers. The people who post on these forums that have no interest in sports are the minority, and that's why sports networks are always included in basic cable.

I have no problem with the providers charging you guys less for packages without sports, but charging ME more for something I've always received isn't progress, it's a rate hike.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

I can't speak for everyone as you can, but I can say that sports networks are NOT included in the basic because everyone wants them.

They are included because the content owners require it.
eco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

eco to clone

Premium Member

to clone
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

overcharging...

w/o sports.. fios triple play 15/5 w/ video & telephone can then come down to $69.95 - $74.95... at $84 - $99 it's a ripoff..
TheKrell
join:2003-12-07
Fairfax, VA

2 recommendations

TheKrell to clone

to clone

Re: I enjoy sports...

said by clone:

I have no problem with the providers charging you guys less for packages without sports, but charging ME more for something I've always received isn't progress, it's a rate hike.

Of course it's a rate hike. How else are the MVPDs supposed to pay for all those grossly overpaid pituitary giants? What's new here is that the sports addicts get to pay for it all by themselves, rather than making everybody else pay too.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to clone

Premium Member

to clone
but you always received at that price because everyone got charged $5, if half drop it then your share become $10.
eventually it could lead to packages being much smaller group of channels bundled, and YOU might save by dropping say the cooking/home improvement channels, or kids channels, or woman's channels. It's as close to ala carte as you are likely to see in the near term.
Unfortunately, if tastes demand something out of each package at your house you will pay the max rate for everything.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to clone

Premium Member

to clone
said by clone:

As do most "average joe" pay TV subscribers. The people who post on these forums that have no interest in sports are the minority, and that's why sports networks are always included in basic cable.

I also enjoy sports so I should pay for it, why should my neighbors and my daughter pay for it. It should be in a separate tier for sports. If it sports then it goes into the sports trier no if or buts about it. If you do not want to extra then do not get it.
clone (banned)
Portage, IN

2 recommendations

clone (banned) to TheKrell

to TheKrell
That's the problem, I'm not a sports addict. But there are a few games and matches here and there that interest me and the providers are just testing the waters to break out all "specialty" programming into packages that they can then charge a premium fee for on top of the basic rate. It's only supported on here and other geek sites because it's sports.

If the providers get their way, we will get a-la-carte just like we've been asking for, and it will look like this:

$50 Basic Service (includes NBC on Comcast, Public Access, QVC, HSN, C-SPAN 1-3, and the Smooth Jazz channel)

+$5 Cable "Starter" Package (USA, TBS, TNT, etc.)
+$5 Local Channel Fee
+10 Sports Network Fee
+$5 Kids Entertainment Package (Nick, Cartoon Network, Disney, etc.)
+$5 History and Science Channels Package (History, Discovery, etc.)
+$5 Music and Specialty Channels Package (MTV, etc.)
+$5 Commercial Movie Channel Package (TCM, AMC, etc.)

Look at the bargains we get with a-la-carte!! It's now $90 for what we used to get for $50! What Savings...now can I sign up for a tiered data plan, too, so I can save even more money??

When dealing with telcos and their ilk, be careful what you wish for...
clone

clone (banned) to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
I understand now. Tiered TV, good. Tiered internet, bad.

What if I said (which I don't believe) that people who want to use Netflix or YouTube or Facebook should be in separate tiers since their usage makes up the bulk of the cost of transport. Everyone on here would scream bloody murder.
jasondean
join:2009-08-28
Brooklyn, NY

jasondean to clone

to clone
Unfortunately you can't just blame the sports networks. Many bundled channels are due to one company forcing their little watched and never wanted channels on the cable co. as part of carrying their more popular choices. Want MTV? Here's all of Viacom's channels to go with it. Look at their list of channels and tell me how many you actually watch? »www.viacom.com/ourbrands ··· ult.aspx

I'd gladly opt out of the Viacom package if it would save me $10/mo. So many people complain about sports networks... I don't want my MTV!!

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Unfortunately, if tastes demand something out of each package at your house you will pay the max rate for everything.

And don't think for 1 sec that that isn't how they will create the bundles. Always bundle a class or type of shows someone won't want(like sports) with 1 or 2 channels everyone will want. Like the example here where a sports bundle includes TNT, FoxNews, Comedy Central, etc. By grouping dissimilar shows they are trying to make it hard to drop any group of channels.
clone (banned)
Portage, IN

1 recommendation

clone (banned) to jasondean

to jasondean
I don't disagree. But rates are never going to drop, just the number of channels in the "basic" package will get smaller and smaller until we're paying the same rate for basic as we always did, and have to have a bunch of add-on packages on top of it that double the bill.

Opting-out of the Viacom package would never save you $10. You would get to pay the same rate as you always did, while no longer receiving Viacom. You'll pay the same and get less. It's the telco way. Meanwhile people who enjoy Viacom will have to pay more to get the same service they always did.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to clone

Premium Member

to clone
This isn't about transport cost (one HD channel costs about the same as another to broadcast) it's about the content cost.
Sports are among the most expensive shows to produce (due to stadiums fees, player salaries, and team owners long term development investments.
the internet equivalent would have you paying your current ISP fees plus bandwidth (if above current usage) and a huge annual subscription fee to the league website, the total would likely be much more than the broadcast/sports channel model, but you might be able to get very customized "MY Team" content.
tshirt

1 edit

tshirt to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
And that or even "fairly" group channel packages are very much in the providers favor.
take sports now at $5... with packages half drop it but you get $10 from each remaining peep... now if you can add a sport or somehow appeal to a few more you get $10 from each a better return then selling 2x as many on the $5 plan.
Potentially(but not totally likely) you could double your income with small adjustments your package.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

As long as Saban is at Alabama...

All of the games I want to watch are going to be on CBS/ABC/ESPN as long as the Tide continues to dominate.

delusion ftl
@comcast.net

delusion ftl to clone

Anon

to clone

All of this would be fixed if the cable companies and content owners would just implement my idea.

I would give everyone responsible in my market a cable connection and an HD capable cable box.
I would have all of them get channels I get paid to show (shopping etc..). I would allow them to go onto the website or use their tv to select which channels or packages they want. If they want only CNN as their every month channel, then that's great it's 1 dollar a month (or whatever is appropriate). What if their son is over and wants to watch the game. Today they would not watch it and the cable company would get no money. I think they switch to that channel the cable box says, would you like to buy this channel for the rest of the month? It's 2.00. yes or no?
The HD version is $4 dollars for the rest of the month.
Grandkids over and want to watch Disney? pay a few bucks and get it. No calling for a package upgrade, or anything like that

And so on and so on.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

All these bundles and exclusions are confusing

OK, it probably takes less than a minute of thought, but it looks overly complicated. More complicated than a la carte.

Over-the-air channels are very easy to deal with; the only time a channel is blocked is when a big truck interferes with my reception
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to Skippy25

to Skippy25

Very true. If you surf other websites and not Howard Forums, but actual news sites that cover these stories, you'll find that a LOT of people do not want ESPN included in their basic package and yet would rather opt-out. It has already been shown that ESPN is the driving cost of what Disney-ABC charges for programming.

I think its a good thing to charge those customers for those channels. Even if the customers that do not want them, get a price break, those that want it will still pay more with this type of service package.

TONIC
@t-mobile.com

TONIC

Anon

Billing $80 Ultimate HD

Verizon now has major billing issue with recent Ultimate HD with 75Mb for $80 fiasco ongoing.

»slickdeals.net/f/5812586 ··· th-YMMV?
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to jasondean

to jasondean

I'm not keen about MTV anymore? I say "Where's the music?"

admin123
@myvzw.com

admin123 to TheKrell

Anon

to TheKrell
That go's for every channel, So you wanna opt out say your fav channel pay $3.00/month extra ? what i thought.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Sports....

are the the last reason to actually have cable. It's one of the few things you can't easily replace. That and live news channels.

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56

Bundling

I just think they should allow the customer to choose which channels to exclude. I'd like Comedy and they can have the Food Channel

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

2 edits

bohratom

Regional sports networks additional $2.42 ???????

Edit: Nevermind , I found a pdf regarding the charges..

»www.lowerpaxton-pa.gov/h ··· 0713.pdf
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to clone

to clone

More like
limited basic / line fee* comes with Local Channels let's say $15-$20
and then have theme packs after that.

Line fee is needed for HSI as well
Joe12345678

Joe12345678 to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: It's a start.

Disney used to be a pay channel and if it's plan »usatoday30.usatoday.com/ ··· 385470/1

then they should go full ad free like hbo (where then still have there own ad's that they have FULL control over)

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: Sports....

Only reason why I want Cable is because of live sports and thats it the rest I can find it on HULU or Netflix
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

tmc8080 to TONIC

to TONIC

Re: Billing $80 Ultimate HD

said by TONIC :

Verizon now has major billing issue with recent Ultimate HD with 75Mb for $80 fiasco ongoing.

»slickdeals.net/f/5812586 ··· th-YMMV?

If dual play (w/ video) is $80.. what's 75/35 standalone?!? Probably more.. haha... nevertheless, if the deal holds (or gets better in the summer), it could be an interesting barganing chip once a pricelock from the cableco expires..

IIRC 15/5 is $70 standalone.. 75/35 was probably around $129-- correction $90-- just checked..
page: 1 · 2 · next