spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-25 09:21:10: While the oft-criticized Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) makes it illegal to bypass DRM, when the law was based back in 1998 a provision allowed the Librarian of Congress to grant certain exemptions. ..

prev page · 1 · 2
old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

How much...

money did the carriers slip to the "Librarian of Congress" under the table in order to get the ruling they want? I often wonder how much of a bribe you need for various votes/rulings. Is there a scale for Congressional votes? White House action? DOJ rulings/actions? SCOTUS rulings? How do the carriers/entertainment groups hide the money they pay out on bribes? They must have some really good accountants who manage to hide the illegal gifts. Or maybe they bribe the IRS as well?

anonanon

@comcast.net

we need more clarification

so i understand it is illegal to unlock phones 'without carrier permission/' so do the websites that sell unlock codes obtain them with 'carrier permission?' if take a phone to a small shop that unlocks and they buy a code online who is the criminal? me? the shop keeper? the web site owner?

i have been reading a lot of article i the last few days and most seem to indicate people unlock there own phones they originally purchased from a carrier. having worked at several business in different cities that unlock phones i know this is very very un common. the overwhelming percentage of phone unlocked are those purchased second hand from ebay, craigslist, pawn shops, flea markets other second hand shops for the purpose of either exporting or use on a cheap prepaid company. i have only very rarely helped an original purchaser. what this means is almost no chance for the handset owner themselves getting 'permission from the carrier'

what is needed is a way for small shops to get a wholesale agreement with at&t, t-mobile, etc to request permission on behalf of customers and legally unlock phones.
PolyTien

join:2013-02-11
Oakland, CA

Petition: Make Unlocking Cell Phones Legal

If this illegal issue bothers you, and you want to have the option to be able to unlock a device you believe you paid for and own, then sign this official Petition and pass it along:
»petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio···1g9KhZG7

There's still time! 12 days left to get 100,000 minimum signatures.. At present, there is 60,000 sigs.. Please pass this petition link around to help make a difference!