dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-25 16:00:25: Last year Verizon completed a mammoth deal with the cable industry that involved Verizon buying $3.6 billion in spectrum, and included cable operators co-marketing Verizon LTE services. ..

sparc
join:2006-05-06

sparc

AT&T and Verizon....

perpetual winners in a rigged game
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

This is what happens

when you have the same people that are suppose to regulate and control the industry also setting themselves up for future employment with the very companies they are suppose to be protecting us consumers from as an extension of Congress. Whom assigns them the job of Congress because they dont want to do it, yet don't give them the actual full authority to do what is needed.

Regulator should be barred from working in the industry they regulate for 10 years and this includes lobbying, consulting and forecasting as "unbiased" opinions.

SteelerRaw
@timet.com

SteelerRaw

Anon

Minor correction, Karl...

The 700MHz spectrum is not referred to as AWS.

»www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia ··· ices-aws
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

duopoly = consumer loses

the wireless market outside of at&t and verizon is pitiful at best and the government is just adding fuel to the fire...

millions of under-served wire line customers are being thrown under the bus as these greedy companies solidify parts of the market where they can price collude and offer less value to the consumer with zero repercussions...
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to SteelerRaw

Premium Member

to SteelerRaw

Re: Minor correction, Karl...

It was 700 AND AWS. Some 700 was auctioned with the AWS.
BiggA

BiggA

Premium Member

This is very good

It finally finishes the process of closing the spectrum gap between AT&T and Verizon in regards to LTE. For a while it looked like Verizon would run almost unopposed in a massive LTE rollout, creating an effective monopoly. Instead, they have let AT&T become much stronger in the process.
MTU
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

MTU

Premium Member

Alternatives

Perhaps there's hope if Google assumes the mantle and offers a viable alternative to greedy Mutt & Jeff.

hyphenated
@bellsouth.net

hyphenated to BiggA

Anon

to BiggA

Re: This is very good

Maybe ATT and Verizon will merge?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Need to work on SoCal

In my area it is shitty 5X5, not much faster than fauxG.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Yup - this will help. They'll be exchanging 10MHz of AWS for a lower B on 700MHz in SoCal/LA market.
I'm in SoCal, land of no LTE yet (and don't really care, as my phone is only HSPA+, and have hit 14Mbps down here).

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

Best friends

Verizon: I got your back bro.
AT&T: Thanks man!
CableCo: Pleasure doing business gents. The extra revenue in landlines will allow us to control the landline market.
Acarney
join:2003-01-27
Richland, WA

Acarney

Washington 2?

Anyone know what geographic area "Washington 2" covers? Would love to know if my area gained some new AT&T spectrum....
claydowns
join:2012-05-24
Ann Arbor, MI

claydowns

Washington 2 is Cellular Market Area (CMA) 694. It's fairly large in land area. Looking on Google Maps it appears some of the populated places are Okanogan and Wenatchee if that helps any.

Assuming your profile location of Richland, WA is accurate, that's CMA 214. AT&T already owns both the lower B block and lower C block 700 MHz licenses there so I don't think your area is affected by this particular transaction.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to hyphenated

Premium Member

to hyphenated

Re: This is very good

Got out the pointy ears and green hair dye did we?
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to Skippy25

to Skippy25

Re: This is what happens

Oversight = Under, Over, and everything in between except in the direct line of sight. The motto of regulation. You selective pick and choose to make infractions fit today's agenda.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

look

look how entertaining apathy is in wireless

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Ln0cV8Ag
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

AT&T

It is about time they buy more spectrum and continue to expand. I still hear a lot of complaints about customers getting dropped calls constantly. Why would you pay double the price for such a service?