dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-29 09:09:30: The combination of investors who want more money and a jilted Charlie Ergen could result in Sprint paying more than they wanted for Clearwire. Dish recently proposed a counter offer to acquire Clearwire at $3. ..

silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Sprint

Sprint offered a joke of a price anyway.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

However Clear doesn't really have any leverage. Not sure why Sprint 'has to' offer more. Dish offer isn't enough to offset the penalty to break the Sprint deal. Clear can reject it or accept it. Sprint only needs to make a move if another carrier offers more.
TheKrell
join:2003-12-07
Fairfax, VA

TheKrell

Matching the Dish bid?

Maybe I can't multiply, but $2.90 X 1.11 is not matching the Dish bid.
nanoflower
join:2002-07-14

nanoflower to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: Sprint

I agree. If Sprint has the ability to kill any offer from Dish then there is no need to raise their offer. In fact if they are willing to wait they might be better off by letting Dish move forward and then kill the deal. That will likely lower the value of Clearwire and enable Sprint to come back and make a new offer for the business at a lower price. It's hard ball and it will likely make it take a few years to close the deal but it's an option if Sprint is willing to wait. (Think of what happened to Yahoo's value when they spurned Microsoft's offer.)

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to TheKrell

Anon

to TheKrell

Re: Matching the Dish bid?

said by TheKrell:

Maybe I can't multiply, but $2.90 X 1.11 is not matching the Dish bid.

It's called close enough. 11% increase is $3.22. Considering everyone know Dish can't actually pay the $3.30 a share they should take it.

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

"breath in all that Wall Street greed Kids"

Really in the end all this guys care is all about their money nothing else. Which in turn will me we as the consumer will have to pay for it in the long run.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Umm, duh?

said by Karl Bode:

combination of the Dish bid, Clearwire's raising stock price and some investor angst will likely result in Sprint having to raise their offer

Duh, this is a given. If there's a better offer on the table, investors will want the money. Nothing surprising there. And Sprint shareholders are likely conflicted since it would mean more money in their pockets while avoiding an outlay of cash for Clearwire. Add in a delay for the Softbank acquisition and I imagine you will have vocal minority of shareholders filing lawsuits if Dish's offer isn't seriously considered.
openbox9

openbox9 to Eddy120876

Premium Member

to Eddy120876

Re: "breath in all that Wall Street greed Kids"

said by Eddy120876:

Really in the end all this guys care is all about their money nothing else.

What would you care about as a shareholder?

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Im not talking as a share holder I'm talking about is as a consumer. hence the part you omitted from my post.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

And that part is typically irrelevant from owners' perspectives when considering M&A. This topic is about Sprint likely needing to improve its bid, not about satisfying consumers.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

umm Funny thing is that if your business doesn't satisfies your customer you are going to be Out of business ever consider that?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Look at the market sector we're discussing and let me know if you actually believe that. Even without that, shareholders aren't going to be concerned with satisfying consumers when dealing in M&A.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

sure look at the market sector. You mean the same sector that is acting like a gossip column where if those nice stock sellers hear the customers are about to dump say tech and then alert their stock holders about the incoming storm and people sell like manics and say tech company is out of business. yup you are right customers don't dictate the stock market...right!!!!
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

I think you're giving average consumers a lot more clout than is due during M&A discussions.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

You have to give the average consumer all the clout you can since we are the ones that drive or sink a stock one way or another.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

But that's my point. We don't have that much power in markets like mobile services.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Even a little power can topple any stock as long as the consumer goes the other way
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Keep dreaming. As a consumer, you will not affect a company's market cap.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

Tell that to BB how that work out for then once the customers bolted.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

That occurred because of management's continued failure to have vision and/or effectively execute on it. Failing to compete in a competitive market and losing customers is not the same as raising rates for customers in a relatively non-competitive environment. I'll grant you that if you can corral a meaningful number of consumers and convince them all to cancel service, the collective can affect the bottom line, but you as an individual consumer will not even be a blip on the company's screen.