spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-29 12:30:17: Google appears ready to try and pitch a YouTube content subscription model in the latest attempt to disrupt traditional television and cash in further on online video. ..

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable

Doubt this will work

I'm looking at Fred who has made movies that my childern love but I won't be paying anything per month to watch his channel. Not sure I would pay for anything on Youtube maybe I would pay for Youtube it's self but more and more music has been take off that I'm not sure if I would pay much if anything.

$8 for NetFlix ???? for YouTube channels?????

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

TOGTFO

Maybe if Google allows these lame cam-girls to finally get explicit as God intended.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1

Geez!

I give it a year before it ends up in the dustbin. Google, I love you, but you suffer from a gnats' attention span.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Not interested, but maybe someone is.

"The revenue split from subscriptions is expected to be similar to the 45-55 split that is common for ads on YouTube."
I don't know, is that good?

People will probably choose a free channel with commercials over a paid channel without them. With ads, it won't matter if the channel doesn't put anything out for 2-3 weeks; with a subscription, people feel ripped off if there's only reruns on. Also, you don't have to worry about piracy with ads.

But anyways, it's cool that the option exists for those producers who want to do it. A la carte videos/movies would be another good feature.

wistlo

join:2003-01-04
New Orleans, LA
reply to spewak

Re: Geez!

I agree. Google has put forward some wonderful technology and then just abandoned it. This may not be quite qualify as "evil" but it certainly is mercenary.

I still grieve over the discontinued Desktop Search, and wonder how life will be when I eventually move to a post XP desktop.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

Isn't Free YouTube main Attraction?

Free content with ads... passable

Paying for youtube... not going to happen.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to wistlo

XP? wow. I loved that OS, but I can't imagine still using it.

kjpwv

join:2006-10-24
Fairmont, WV

1 edit

Seems to work with Twitch.tv

There are a handful of pro gamers living off of twitch subs, but they also post tons of tube videos so I'm curious if Youtube is going to poach.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

Interesting

I am willing to pay for Youtube channels only if I can watch full shows in HD preferred. If I can have another source than Netflix which does not require me to have a DVD subscription I am all for it because the only reason I have it is because it's not available online.

If you expect me to pay to watch a random video that a person makes then you can throw in all the ads you want but I won't pay for it.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4

Failure from the get go!

Youtube is used by people that don't want to pay for content anyways most of the content is made by 12-30 something year olds and I doubt any of them want to pay for youtube content.

Also most people are now flocking to the ad free videos and ditching channels like vevo for music lyric videos to get rid of the horrible ads vevo puts out.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

I might be interested

I might be interested in this, provided:

1. There are actual channels with regularly-scheduled shows.
2. I can watch on my TV via Roku or something similar. Multiple platforms would be best.
3. The cost is reasonable, preferably under $1/month per channel.

I think this could work for niche channels such as the old ZDTV/TechTV and the original incarnation of the Sci-Fi Channel. I'd gladly pay for access to both of these. They could even show reasonable numbers of commercials to help pay the bills.
Expand your moderator at work

Josh Taylor

@bellsouth.net

They're just letting inter

They're begging for internet video to die quicker. Come on people, it's not too late to get outside and read a real paperback book.

The internet experiment will be on the decline and it will be dead quicker.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

Greed!

I see this to be a failure. When some Youtube channels become famous and cost money. New broadcasters will take their place. Why pay for free stream content?

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

So I would have to pay just to watch machinima?

I hope they tell google to gtfo, fans are used to getting this stuff for free, most of us probably wont pay for it. I know I wouldn't, not for the stuff they put out. Not to mention it kinda goes against the youtube spirit.

Trebonious
Premium
join:2001-06-29
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Provide the pipe

Paid subscription is nice and dandy but if their pipe can't support the requests, I see serious flaws in this.

As it is, trying to stream anything from YouTube in the evening these days has been a dead crawl while everything else works without an issue.

I understand this can be limited to route, congestion, etc. but I am not willing to pay cash to watch a buffer screen. That goes for any service; cable, tv, netflix, etc.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
It ain't the pipe or the hardware.

YouTube does that at 240p on 35M Fios most any day of the week, as it does on 15M cable pipes too.

We don't access YouTube much, but for anything memorable, the only way to assure reasonable playback is to capture the stream for local playback.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

I enjoy YouTube but the time is not that far off

(or heck, some may already be at it) where the number of paying internet sites is to much for them.

Of course, the argument could be made that paying for the sites is still less than a cable subscription which is a good point....but when I add up a few of my past months where I had Netflix, Hulu, and some others....it came close to my cable bill

Add in YouTube and some others.....and probably even more companies FORCING content only on their systems......I just see a market becoming so over-priced with the actual content that they each provide

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to Trebonious

Re: Provide the pipe

The only flaw with this is caps and overages, unless Google does the same they're doing in other countries and paying for a Tier2 Internet. AT&T has already made comment about charging them and this will help them even more, especially with others coming out and claiming that Google pays them to get on the 'net.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Clinton Township, MI
reply to ArrayList

XP is alive and well on MANY desktops in offices all over the place. Heck, some colleges are still using it as a client in Linux classes. Meaning you have to know old school key strokes and god for bid, drop to the command line (CLI for those in the know) to run commands. Nope, XP is to the corp world what Windows 98se was to the home back in the day. Stable, did the job and did I stay stable?

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to me1212

Re: So I would have to pay just to watch machinima?

You are mis-reading. Google is merely giving the option for partners/directors to offer channels or videos up for subscription, not forcing everything to go pay-for. It would be up to the partners to decide whether or not they want to go subscription based.

Given the fact that many have made their massive subscriber-bases on the free and sometimes ad-supported model so doubt they would push for the pay model. If anything I see the higher profile channels like Vevo offering something in the pay model.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to motorola870

Re: Failure from the get go!

Given there is tons of good content on youtube that you can't get via pay channels, I'd say it is far from failure. Hell, we have a full cable subscription here but these days I find more of my TV hours are spent on Youtube than your average cable channel.

I'm pretty sure if it was a 'failure', Google would have done something a long time ago or not acquired it to begin with.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable
reply to Josh Taylor

Re: They're just letting inter

said by Josh Taylor :

They're begging for internet video to die quicker. Come on people, it's not too late to get outside and read a real paperback book.

The internet experiment will be on the decline and it will be dead quicker.

Actually I'm a cord cutter and the go outside comment is one of the reasons. I have a couple of kids so to much TV is bad also the programming on much of the TV channels is to adult for my kids. Reruns of Two and Half Men at 7 PM is not a good thing, for that matter ever look at what's on ABC family channel??? Not so family friendly.

Any how I use the internet video a lot because I have no cable so for me the internet stuff is going on where but I'm always looking for some good content as someone said ZDTV/TechTV, ya I would like that.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

This might work

Google would need offer a 1 month trial offer (like Netflix does) with the ability to cancel before the end of your free trial is up to see what content these paid subscription YouTube channels offer that you'd be paying for..

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to tc1uscg

As a Linux user, Windows XP was my favorite MS operating system. Stable, customizable, extensible, and simple. Hated the theme but it was easy to install other themes to, like many Linux desktop environments. However, it does not support much for newer hardware, both due to lack of drivers and technical limitations. Most importantly, it is a security liability without a focus on security patches anymore. I work with Win7 when I have to(least of the MS post-XP evils, for when, for example I have to help someone troubleshoot MS Office) and stay on Linux, otherwise.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

kerya666

join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL
reply to axus

Re: Not interested, but maybe someone is.

I would choose "free" but with adds over subscription and unknown content quality any day.

I wonder now if that is why youtube has been a buffer-fest for everyone I know for 3+ weeks now. I mean it is rediculous, even 240p videos are constantly buffering.
Want non-buffering every 2 seconds videos? Pay$1/month business model? Hah

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to Selenia

the 64 bit version of XP was a horrible joke also

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
But most people ran 32-bit back then and 64-bit offered no real advantage with the hardware and software at the time, for the most part. Obviously, things have changed since then, but Windows XP came out 12 years ago.