spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-30 08:35:00: Both AT&T and Verizon are currently hanging up on tens of millions of DSL and copper POTS customers they don't want to upgrade, letting them either flee to cable competitors, or to their pricier and heavily capped LTE services. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Not really unreasonable...

"AT&T insists they simply want to see PSTN regulations modernized for an all IP age"

Of course they want out of a situation where expensive upgrades or even maintaince advantages line sharing compeitors more than themselves.
people need to get over the "years of tax breaks" which were part of the payments to the company for meeting gov't demands...universal service...hardened networks for gov't and military and "certain" institutional intelligence systems.

In fact PSTN regulations must be updated to include all the different last mile solution methods and providers to assure at least one is properly compensated for providing a robust, modern, and capable connection to every home (most homes, those that CHOOSE to live off the grid must provide their own solution at their own expense)= true universal service.
The same regulators can assure equalized cost sharing among users and fair rate setting by service providers.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

What about state regulation of POTS?

This wouldn't end state regulation of POTS in every individual state. AT&T would also have to get states to give up regulation as well, wouldn't it?

Light Lobe

@level3.net
If you read AT&T's petition, they specifically want the use of IP, even closed-path, non-public Internet IP services to be declared purely interstate. Thus, in an all-IP network, there's no intra-state services left for the states to regulate.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

PSTN Sunset

They should be allowed to shut down the PSTN and force their customers onto fiber networks. One of the reasons that Verizon is reluctant to upgrade to FiOS is that many consumers (mostly middle aged and elderly) opt to remain on the PSTN/DSL even though their house is passed by FiOS.

If Verizon were to pass my house with FiOS, I would kick Comcast to the curb in a heartbeat. And I would pay the hourly installation charge as my house is a townhouse duplex (which they consider an MDU/custom install but I would do the inside wiring myself).

I think the time has come to shut down the PSTN. I have my home phone through Comcast (mainly because the alarm system requires a phone line and for E911).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

They don't want to shut down PSTN and migrate their users to fiber networks. AT&T doesn't HAVE a fiber network. They want those people to go to Wireless, because they make more money off of it.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

insane to gut pots regulations

We have all seen how unreliable IP phone services are. I wouldn't bet my life on IP phone!

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: PSTN Sunset

said by IowaCowboy:

They should be allowed to shut down the PSTN and force their customers onto fiber networks. One of the reasons that Verizon is reluctant to upgrade to FiOS is that many consumers (mostly middle aged and elderly) opt to remain on the PSTN/DSL even though their house is passed by FiOS.

But is it OK by you that they abandon copper landlines if they offer no fiber connection to replace it? That is, leave a customer with zero landline option where cable doesn't have service.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

De-regulate ??

Where is ATT and Verizon going to run their FIOS lines etc if the PUBLIC decides that no more private use of PUBLIC right of ways such as surface poles, street level refrigerator boxes etc. Does ATT own the poles the land on which they and all their surface and below surface equipment reside? Let's see how cheap it is to buy the land and re-string infrastructure. I'm not saying that ATT isn't allowed to make a profit but to be allowed free reign is ludicrous. I waste my breath and time though because ATT already is paying off the the pimps and whores in Washington to make this happen!

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18
reply to FFH5

Wouldn't the government have to force the telco for fiber deployment to happen?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by IowaCowboy:

But is it OK by you that they abandon copper landlines if they offer no fiber connection to replace it? That is, leave a customer with zero landline option where cable doesn't have service.

Or at least shut down copper networks where the telco offers equal or better service passing those residences (such as U-Verse or FiOS).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

AT&T wants the government OUT OF THEIR LIVES!

Oh, except when the government helps them out

"In an example of corporate welfare at its finest, AT&T effectively paid no federal taxes in 2011. In fact, thanks to lucrative incentives and corporate subsidies, the telecommunications company walked away with a giant taxpayer-subsidized $420 million refund." »stopthecap.com/2012/08/16/at-ach···-refund/

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 edit
They are afraid that the govt will declare internet access an essential service, like many countrys are doing, and regulate them to provide service to areas they dont want to be in with service levels above what they currently offer in many areas.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to FFH5

Re: What about state regulation of POTS?

You mean like AT&T never ending lobbying and court battles to block muni FTTH.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to tshirt

Re: Not really unreasonable...

It's a joke and this just makes the case for muni or state FTTH more credible and even necessary.

With the exception of shareholders and c-level management, the private sector (status quo) in these areas has been nothing but a huge failure for the American people and our progress and prosperity.

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

AT&T is in for a rude awakening..

I migrated to a completely wireless setup early last year.
Ported my Land Line to a prepaid cell phone Bluetooth-ed to my existing wired phones.

So far my costs to replace my 30$/mo no frills POTS have been on average $10/mo, plus I get caller ID and Call waiting(another $10) for free.

Same goes for data.. I was paying $55/mo for DSL. But at&t crippled that, so I went wireless on that as well. Saved another stack of money.

It's not a perfect solution, limited 4G Data, but I didn't use that much aDSL anyway, plus I've paid for all my upfront costs in about 5 months. The resulting 60$ monthly savings is just music to my ears.

In a nutshell, At&t/Verizon is in for a rude awakening, as long as their is some sort of competition. (DBS Sat's, Cable, other wireless providers(Sprint/T-mobile), OTA).

These formerly wired incumbents are being lined up for big fall (bankruptcy) as their wireless networking advantages fade and they are forced to compete on services and price without their former guaranteed market subsidies..

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

If Verizon were to pass my house with FiOS, I would kick Comcast to the curb in a heartbeat. And I would pay the hourly installation charge as my house is a townhouse duplex (which they consider an MDU/custom install but I would do the inside wiring myself).

I think the time has come to shut down the PSTN. I have my home phone through Comcast (mainly because the alarm system requires a phone line and for E911).

Disagree 100 percent, I will fight to keep copper and POTS until the day I expire. Have had to many expierences when bad weather came through and internet was down for up to 10 days where the POTS line worked like a champ during that period. Cell phone service was even more pathetic during that period, got to the point I heard "I am Sorry but we cannot complete the call as dialed"

In my neighborhood the term "Fiber" is related to what you had for breakfeast and not tele-communications - no I do not have DSL, have 100MB cable internet - and that is about as reliable as a Ford Edsel most of the time

wingrider01

Saint Louis, MO
reply to nonamesleft

Re: insane to gut pots regulations

said by nonamesleft:

We have all seen how unreliable IP phone services are. I wouldn't bet my life on IP phone!

How true

wingrider01

Saint Louis, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

said by FFH5:

said by IowaCowboy:

Or at least shut down copper networks where the telco offers equal or better service passing those residences (such as U-Verse or FiOS).

there is nothing as reliable as POTS, had service on my landline while internet was down for 10 days

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
But what AT&T and Verizon are doing, isn't saying we'll shut down PSTN and put in fiber, they are just saying shut down PSTN and we'll upgrade what we feel is profitable to upgrade and the rest of the country can simply pay higher prices for wireless or use cable.

If they were replacing all PSTN with fiber, I think most of us would be for it, the regulation piece is still a thorn even in that case. We can't leave our entire telecommunications system unregulated. They need to add clear langugage that says we have the right to regulate IP services.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to tkdslr

Re: AT&T is in for a rude awakening..

If you don't use the internet much it is okay. Software updates alone would drive me way over the caps.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tkdslr
AT&T and Verizon are buying up spectrum... with wires, it's at least possible to run new ones, but you can't create a wireless service without spectrum. Lightsquared was going to lease a bunch of spectrum to new competitors, but they took a huge risk on cheap near-GPS spectrum and got burned.

Google tried to get conditions attached to new spectrum leases by bluffing $5 billion dollars, but that only goes so far when Powell was the chairman.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

get rid

If they shut down an area, I would like em to have to at least attempt to sell it to another provider that might take it up.. Not just sit on it and let the people in the area suffer.. I don't see why this would be a problem for areas they have yet to even upgrade to dsl being they foresee it as unprofitable...

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to gaforces

Re: AT&T wants the government OUT OF THEIR LIVES!

You mean, the government would force them to actually offer decent service to those that they currently offer?

And force AT&T to actually spend a little to provide service to others.....while being given billions in federal money each year?

Poor guys

neuronbob
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS. NONE.

join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH
reply to nonamesleft

Too true. I've cut back my PSTN line to just the basics.....but them's some reliable basics in an emergency. In my area, AT&T stopped its Project Pronto some time ago. Even though my house is only 10 years old, I can't get DSL....but the older houses next door can.

I'm on cable for Internet access....though if there were a viable FIOS solution I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

It will never happen here, however.
--
neuronbob.com

neuronbob
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS. NONE.

join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH
reply to Bill Neilson

Re: AT&T wants the government OUT OF THEIR LIVES!

If AT&T wants deregulation, then it needs to stop accepting my taxpayer dollars. End of story.

Shouldn't this be part of the spending debate anyway? Companies taking my money via taxes and not spending it in a way beneficial to taxpayers? SCREW THAT.
--
neuronbob.com

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

What happens to fiber to the curb?!?

I live in a rural subdivision that is serviced by fiber to the curb. AT&T has sat on its cheap ass and refused to upgrade the system here leaving us with 6 mb dsl as the top offering. Cable isn't available either. I find it hard to believe that AT&T isn't capable of profiting in this subdivision with upgrades being that there would be no competition among 50+ homes. If they shut us off I won't ever use anything attached to their name again.

BTW, I have asked David with AT&T direct support if he knows what the plans are and was simply ignored. Typical AT&T support!

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to wingrider01

said by wingrider01:

In my neighborhood the term "Fiber" is related to what you had for breakfeast and not tele-communications - no I do not have DSL, have 100MB cable internet - and that is about as reliable as a Ford Edsel most of the time

Is this a compliment for cable internet? In it's day, the Ford Edsel was reliable and technologically advanced. It simply came in a package that was generally perceived as ugly.

edit - furthur research on my part show the Edsel did have some reliability problems, but nothing out of line with other cars from the 50's.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to IowaCowboy
Isn't uverse copper too? VDSL?

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to nonamesleft

Depends on where you live. Back when my family moved in to our current house the phone was out for at least 48 hours a month, according to our neighbours it hasn't improved much. Where as with our IP based phone solution we have no, we've had much better service stability. Sure it took a bit of technological know how to set it up but it was worth it.

radougherty

join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Kicked AT&T copper to the curb years ago.

High prices, slow DSL speeds not due to length from RT but it's as fast as they sell pushed me to cable for Internet and phone. Would be willing to give U-Verse a chance but they decided to stop rollout on the other side of the street for our development.