dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-30 09:16:12: Speaking with GQ, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings says his company's goal is to morph into a next-generation HBO before HBO has the chance to do that themselves. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Didn't I call this!

They need their own content.
Too bad they don't own the pipes!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

That's just too bad, aint it? And I suspect that if they did, it would cost quite a bit more than $7/month.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

New content looks interesting

Reading up on the new series being released, looks like some decent content. But I wonder how long it will be before the Netflix monthly streaming fee starts increasing from $7/ mo to $10/mo and $14/mo, etc.? At which point HBO/GO will be available to anyone and not just to cable subscribers. HBO will jump in when the price point gets near $15/mo and it becomes worthwhile for HBO to cut the cable tie-in cord.

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW

Anon

said by FFH5:

Reading up on the new series being released, looks like some decent content. But I wonder how long it will be before the Netflix monthly streaming fee starts increasing from $7/ mo to $10/mo and $14/mo, etc.? At which point HBO/GO will be available to anyone and not just to cable subscribers. HBO will jump in when the price point gets near $15/mo and it becomes worthwhile for HBO to cut the cable tie-in cord.

I seriously expect HBO to jump in sooner rather than later. Although, it might not be a full-blown On-Demand offering, but more targeted. With the upcoming release of Game of Thrones Season 3, I believe we might see something.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

HBO will jump in when the price point gets near $15/mo and it becomes worthwhile for HBO to cut the cable tie-in cord.

And by then HBO will be in the same boat Kodak was after they sat on their hands with digital cameras for years because their film business was so damn profitable.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

His statement will encourage HBO to change faster

I suppose HBO already knew this, but stating it publicly will encourage HBO to move more quickly. Related comment: I don't believe Hastings is the best person to lead Netflix.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Become HBO

Netflix first you got stop showing old movies and show new releases and better quality streaming video.

JasonOD
@comcast.net

JasonOD to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5

Re: New content looks interesting

said by FFH5:

....HBO will jump in when the price point gets near $15/mo and it becomes worthwhile for HBO to cut the cable tie-in cord.

I think it needs to be higher, probably at least $20mo before HBO is going to be tempted. In most cable markets HBO retails for near or over $20 already.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to cableties

to cableties

Re: Didn't I call this!

said by cableties:

Very few content providers own their own pipes.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to JasonOD

Premium Member

to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

said by FFH5:

....HBO will jump in when the price point gets near $15/mo and it becomes worthwhile for HBO to cut the cable tie-in cord.

I think it needs to be higher, probably at least $20mo before HBO is going to be tempted. In most cable markets HBO retails for near or over $20 already.

Comcast offers HBO for $10/mo for a yr to all existing customers.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to mogamer

to mogamer

said by mogamer:

said by cableties:

Comcast, Time Warner...

46436203 (banned) to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Become HBO

How about better audio? Netflix's garbage is still low bitrate lossy 2.0. Pathetic.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

HBO

I don't think HBO wants to become Netflix.
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to FFH5

to FFH5

»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ch ··· p/983403

Promo's aside, in my Comcast market it's $18mo.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to 46436203

to 46436203

Everything you want is on Youtube in HD.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

Netflix first you got stop showing old movies and show new releases and better quality streaming video.

I guess you didn't read the article.
quote:
That's just fine with Hastings, who says his goal is to create five new series each year. "The goal," says Hastings, "is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us."

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to 46436203

Premium Member

to 46436203
said by 46436203:

How about better audio? Netflix's garbage is still low bitrate lossy 2.0. Pathetic.

Just about everything I watch streaming from Netflix is in 5.1 DD+. I've got around 100 titles currently in my streaming queue and around 90% of them are in 5.1 DD+. It's rare for me to watch a streaming title from Netflix that is only in 2.0.

Which of course is still lossy but I would not expect them to use a lossless codec since it takes alot more bandwidth. Besides the vast majority of people would not be able to tell the difference between a lossless codec and a lossy codec in a double blind test.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to MarkAW

Premium Member

to MarkAW
HBO's shows cost a lot of money to produce. They take major risks no one else is going to take. There is no way Netflix will produce something like Game of Thrones, which by some estimates cost $8 million per episode.
silbaco

silbaco to 46436203

Premium Member

to 46436203

The Time Warner media conglomerate is not the same Time Warner as Time Warner cable. Time Warner cable doesn't have much content, except maybe some sports channels.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to 46436203

to 46436203
said by 46436203:

said by mogamer:

said by cableties:

Comcast, Time Warner...

I didn't say none did.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to silbaco

to silbaco

Boardwalk Empire is my favorite show. The budget must be a lot lower. There are no special effects and visual enhancements in this show. It is mainly set in the 1920's.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Excited

I must admit that I'm a little excited. I want a grand scifi show set in space or in the future though... Just something fun and along the lines of shows like Stargate, BSG, Star Trek, Space AAB, Space:1999, Babylon 5, or even Firefly but for today's sophisticated tastes and expectations.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to kaila

to kaila

It's $16/month on DirecTV. The cable company charges $16/month and $2 on each additional TV.
fifty nine

fifty nine to silbaco

to silbaco

True. The trend is to spin off the cable/sat operators from the programmers.

At one time we had Time Warner, Comcast, Cablevision owning many of the channels. News Corp owned DirecTV. Now it's really only Comcast and to some extent Cablevision, and Comcast is bigger than ever.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

Boardwalk Empire is my favorite show. The budget must be a lot lower. There are no special effects and visual enhancements in this show. It is mainly set in the 1920's.

You aren't serious are you? Pretty much every scripted show on Tv has special effects. Whether it's to change the color of the sky, the color of clothing, to insert an object or background in the scene, or to change the look of a face.

Boardwalk empire is no exception.

Here a video that shows some of the FX on Boardwalk Empire.

»www.theverge.com/2012/1/ ··· -digital
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to cableties

to cableties

said by cableties:

Here in Canada they just introduced something called Super HD. To get the newer higher quality streams, your ISP needs to make a peering arrangement with netflix (so they would have direct networks and not use internet bandwidth).

It's a mixed bag which ISPs are adopting it. Understandably a few see Netflix as a threat.
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer to FFH5

to FFH5

Pay $10 to Comcast for HBO and watch the whole season of Game Of Thrones via OnDemand over the weekend. Then cancel...
A friend of mine has HBO.. She lets me use her password for HBOGO .

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Cox charges $10 a piece if you get a 3 premium channel pack (eg HBO, SHO, Starz). Not too bad although there is nothing I find compelling on them any more. That died with Sopranos and Rome. Never got into Spartacus. Come to think of it, $30/mo and I never watch them. Time to call Cox.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to fifty nine

to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

That's just too bad, aint it? And I suspect that if they did, it would cost quite a bit more than $7/month.

Yet another guy that doesn't understand how the internet works.

It's no longer about charging a lot to few people. It's about charging little to a LOT of people because delivery of content is no longer a big deal since even a child can do it.
Kamus

Kamus to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho ··· _series)

That's theirs. With the adoption rate they have all it will take is time.
page: 1 · 2 · next