dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-30 09:16:12: Speaking with GQ, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings says his company's goal is to morph into a next-generation HBO before HBO has the chance to do that themselves. ..

prev · 1 · 2
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: New content looks interesting

said by FFH5:

But I wonder how long it will be before the Netflix monthly streaming fee starts increasing from $7/ mo to $10/mo and $14/mo, etc.?

This might happen. But you have to remember the key difference to cable service:
Canceling is just a click away, and this time around they actually have to compete because they are doing nothing special. Netflix became popular in very little time not because they are an amazing revolutionary service. They are simply taking advantage of what current technology allows. and what they can do, others will be able to do for less if they start charging too much.
Think about this: in just 5 years or so technology will allow for a much bigger number of people to be on fast connections and devices that are able to display high quality video will be ubiquitous.
Kamus

Kamus to 46436203

to 46436203

Re: Become HBO

said by 46436203:

How about better audio? Netflix's garbage is still low bitrate lossy 2.0. Pathetic.

You use an ipad for netflix? Most clients i use have 5.1 support. and it always amuses me when people whine about lossy audio. I bet you wouldn't be able to tell lossy audio (with enough bitrate) to raw one in a blind test.
Kamus

Kamus to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

HBO's shows cost a lot of money to produce. They take major risks no one else is going to take. There is no way Netflix will produce something like Game of Thrones, which by some estimates cost $8 million per episode.

That's true, GoT is expensive to make. In fact some episodes would've been worth entire movie budgets if they had the money. George RR martin did say he would take donations for those episodes. Which gives me an idea of what the future of high budget TV will be like:

Crowd-funding. Fans of the shows would no doubt support a plea for help like that one and make the show possible. It has worked for a lot of new start ups and i see no reason why it wouldn't work for cultural phenomena like some TV shows.

You have to remember all the areas that technology advancements are affecting before you worry too much, eventually all this stuff converges and makes the impossible possible.
Kamus

Kamus to silbaco

to silbaco

Re: HBO

said by silbaco:

I don't think HBO wants to become Netflix.

They don't, and i think that will be their undoing.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to cableties

to cableties

Re: Didn't I call this!

said by cableties:

They need their own content.
Too bad they don't own the pipes!

No, they don't need their own content.
They need to pay for the content people want to watch, just as they did for the DVD library.

They don't need to own the pipes.

They just need to assure delivery rates - which, to my surprise, given Hastings tendency to whine rather than act, they manifested last week when they offered Open Connect.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

Netflix first you got stop showing old movies and show new releases and better quality streaming video.

good luck on that. even fios subs average 2500kbps on the service. netflix will have to stop the throttling crap before they can even think of becoming a hbo.
mike10
join:2004-03-02

mike10 to brianiscool

to brianiscool
there set was very expensive to build

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to zod5000

MVM

to zod5000

said by zod5000:

Here in Canada they just introduced something called Super HD. To get the newer higher quality streams, your ISP needs to make a peering arrangement with netflix (so they would have direct networks and not use internet bandwidth).

It's a mixed bag which ISPs are adopting it. Understandably a few see Netflix as a threat.

It's available here too. It was covered recently here when TW didn't like the idea very much.

It's funny watching the ISPs complain that Netflix is costing them so much bandwidth and doesn't want to pay for it, and then Netflix gives them a solution that reduces the bandwidth needs by a huge amount for free except the cost to power the device an a few slots of rack space...and the cable companies still cry foul.
cdru

cdru to dvd536

MVM

to dvd536

said by dvd536:

even fios subs average 2500kbps on the service.

From Netflix regarding that number:
quote:
These ratings reflect the average performance of all Netflix streams on each ISP. The average is well below the peak performance due to many factors including home Wi-Fi, the variety of devices our members use, and the variety of encodes we use to deliver the TV shows and movies we carry. Those factors cancel out when comparing across ISPs, so these relative rankings are a good indicator of the consistent performance typically experienced across all users on an ISP network and a great way to see which ISPs offer the best Netflix experience.
The 2500kbps isn't what the ISP throttles the stream to, or otherwise support. It's what the stream needs across all their streams, and then what the connection can support.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to kontos

Premium Member

to kontos

Re: New content looks interesting

We all now how that ended up with kodak!

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri to jjeffeory

to jjeffeory

Re: Excited

said by jjeffeory:

I must admit that I'm a little excited. I want a grand scifi show set in space or in the future though... Just something fun and along the lines of shows like Stargate, BSG, Star Trek, Space AAB, Space:1999, Babylon 5, or even Firefly but for today's sophisticated tastes and expectations.

I'm with ya on that score. Good scifi isn't easy to find anymore.....

I do have to take an exception to the comment about 'today's sophisticated tastes and expectations' however.

Have you cruised thru the guide on cable lately?? It's all rednecks, honey boo boos, Kardasians, pawn shops and blank wars, (ie storage wars parking wars, shipping wars, etc).

If that's what's considered sophisticated today.... then we are in big trouble....

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to cableties

MVM

to cableties

said by cableties:

Too bad they don't own the pipes!

Netflix does own the pipes via OpenConnect. They hope to eventually deliver the majority of traffic over OpenConnect.
Guspaz

Guspaz to elray

MVM

to elray
said by elray See ProfileThey just need to assure delivery rates - which, to my surprise, given Hastings tendency to whine rather than act, they manifested last week when they offered Open Connect.[/BQUOTE :

OpenConnect publicly launched in June 2012, at which point it was already carrying 5% of their traffic, not last week.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536

said by dvd536:

Netflix will have to stop the throttling crap before they can even think of becoming HBO.

While you are right on that one; sadly, it's not up to Netflix, it 's up to ISP's. Given how quite a few ISP's are also in the TV business, if Netflix becomes popular enough for people to start canceling their paid TV subscriptions, ISP's will try to make up for loss of revenue by introducing/lowering caps and/or raising prices Internet prices/overage fees.

Gitrdun
@acsalaska.net

Gitrdun to jjeffeory

Anon

to jjeffeory

Re: Excited

This was already attempted with shows like Stargate Universe, Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Charlie Jade.

Stargate Universe
»www.imdb.com/title/tt1286039/

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
»www.imdb.com/title/tt0851851/

Charlie Jade
»www.imdb.com/title/tt0408378/

All of these television properties showed promise, but failed to retain viewer-ship (by Nielsen ratings). SGU and TSCC both started to reach their stride late into their second season yet were canceled. Netflix could bring back one of these shows, but would have difficulty reviving either property due to actor's scheduling conflicts (Robert Carlyle is committed to Once Upon a Time, Lena Headey is committed to Game of Thrones).

On the other hand Charlie Jade saw a number of production issues with the replacement of their writing team early after the first few episodes and got much better toward the end. You might even see quite a number of similarities and liberties taken by JJ Abrams series Fringe lifting ideas from Charlie Jade. Sadly this show was canceled after one season in Canada and SyFy moved the show to 3am timeslot after the first episode(s).
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to CosmicDebri

to CosmicDebri
I hear ya; I was trying to be positive about today's tastes. When you put into context with Honey Boo Boo, it sounds bad! I meant sophisticated "Sci-Fi", with "better" stories and special effects. Ugh, I know what you're saying though...
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to Gitrdun

to Gitrdun
I know about all these shows besides Charlie Jade as I watched them and was pretty sad when they went off the air. Sarah Connor Chronicles was getting interesting ( to me) and I was starting to get into SG:U more after they started introducing some alien conflict into the mix. A writer's strike partially killed that show and they waited too long to add alien conflict into the mix. The problem is that studios don't give sci-fi shows enough of a chance to find their legs before axing them. Netflix may be a good place for these shows. Thanks for coments though! I'll have to see if Charlie Jade is any good.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai

Premium Member

It's easy to like Netflix when I think of my old cable bills

People LIKE to complain, but the brutal truth is, cable = massive cost for shit THEY tell you you will watch and WHEN you will watch it.

Piss off cable.

If I want to watch an old TV series ep after ep all day long, I damn well will.

If the guys want to watch crap from the Asylum and gorge on popcorn, we can.

I don't mind documentaries, and yes some of them don't deserve the term documentary, but, I have enough brains to know when I am watching obvious garbage.

Netflix has given us a great option.

Now I never have a problem with fair competition.

If HBO wants in on the deal, they have to offer it at 8 bucks and at least as much stuff, or they can keep their few new movies and cram them.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Let me rephrase.

When he required OpenConnect for access to "Super" HD product, in effect, co-opting the last mile.
prev · 1 · 2