dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-30 12:17:22: After more than a year of delays, Research in Motion this morning unveiled their long awaited Blackberry 10 OS and smartphone lineup at a series of simultaneous launch events in Toronto, Paris, London and Dubai. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3

Premium Member

Too Little Too Late

It's unfortunate they lost so many customers over the years, including myself. Loved the BB back in the day but they just couldn't keep up with the market trends. As much as I hate touchscreen typing and would love to go back to a QWERTY keypad, BB is going to have to wow me with the OS and applications. Right now I have zero interest in the phones.

We'll see how this gets marketed. Are they still focusing on business apps? I know a lot of the big corporations still issue out Blackberry's, so I'm sure this will be somewhat refreshing for those employees.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

They have done a great job...

Might be enough to push Apple to do a physical keyboard on the iPhones in the future...

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

Your dreaming, high and mighty apple change their basic design to compete. It'll won't happen. It took them over 5 years to increase the screen size from the puny 3.5 screen to 4 inches.
Physical keyboards would be way too much of a departure.

Also while a physical keyboard is good for blackberry, as the users most drawn to this will be former blackberry users, who had love affairs with their blackberry keyboards. for google and apple, keyboards are virtually dead. very few Android phones with keyboards are produced anymore. Because they don't sell well. While blackberry users love their physical keyboards, most who have switched to apple have adapted to software keyboards. I myself always hated physical keyboards, I prefer swype.

sleuth3
Premium Member
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

They have done a great job...

We'll have to wait and see. I can only assume since I have yet to get my hands on one. They're going to have to pull people away from Apple and Droid which have an established customer base. Both of which also have good business applications.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76
said by MovieLover76:

Your dreaming, high and mighty apple change their basic design to compete. It'll won't happen. It took them over 5 years to increase the screen size from the puny 3.5 screen to 4 inches.
Physical keyboards would be way too much of a departure.

I agree but I laugh at people with those huge 5" Samsung phones. Way too big of a brick! If I wanted to carry a tablet, I would carry one. And if I wanted a stylus I'd go back to my Treo 650 where I lost them all the time.
quote:
blackberry users love their physical keyboards, most who have switched to apple have adapted to software keyboards. I myself always hated physical keyboards, I prefer swype.

When I'm on call, I have to carry a BB Bold and HATE the physical keyboard. It's horrible to use and some of the choices (press 2 keys for a period, for example) suck. I'll take my virtual keyboard thanks.

sleuth3
Premium Member
West Des Moines, IA

1 recommendation

sleuth3

Premium Member

said by itguy05 See Profile
When I'm on call, I have to carry a BB Bold and HATE the physical keyboard. It's horrible to use and some of the choices (press 2 keys for a period, for example) suck. I'll take my virtual keyboard thanks.

What really? I find my experience totally 180 of yours. I hate having to go through multiple windows for special characters. While I could hit 2 different keys to input one on the BB. Then typing on the touchscreen too fast leads to ridiculous jargon. I have to take my time, make sure the autocorrect is actually correct, etc. I would take the speed and accuracy of the BB keyboard no doubt. It was immensely easier for me to respond to messages and emails.

jhllne
join:2006-04-26
Madison, WI

1 edit

1 recommendation

jhllne

BlackBerry still doesn't get it.

I am a former longtime BlackBerry user who is fairly unhappy with his Motorola Droid (slider keyboard). So, I eagerly tuned into this morning's webcast, only to find:

* No release date for the Q10 at all
* No release date for the Z10 in the U.S. (though it launches in U.K. tmrw and Canada next week).
* Minimal info on specifications.
* It's an hour after their launch event, and they still don't have any info on the new Q10 or Z10 up on their website.

Are you freaking kidding me? Why am I even surprised? Based on early review of the BB10 OS, I thought maybe they had finally pulled their head out of their rear, but this sounds like the same 'ol, same 'ol in terms of execution. Unbelievable.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to sleuth3

to sleuth3

Re: Too Little Too Late

said by sleuth3:

What really? I find my experience totally 180 of yours. I hate having to go through multiple windows for special characters. While I could hit 2 different keys to input one on the BB. Then typing on the touchscreen too fast leads to ridiculous jargon. I have to take my time, make sure the autocorrect is actually correct, etc. I would take the speed and accuracy of the BB keyboard no doubt. It was immensely easier for me to respond to messages and emails.

Let's see here:

On the Blackberry, the Period is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone, it's there.
On the Blackberry, the / is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone it's there
On the Blackberry, numbers are frustrating to type (2 key press for each).
Dialing the phone on the BB is a PITA as there is no keypad and you have to try to find the small buttons with the #s on them.

I'm sure there are more but I found trying to use the small keys a nightmare and using the Web an exercise in frustration.

lighthouseJ
cheers
join:2005-05-02
Golden, CO

lighthouseJ

no maps shown off

they didnt show the maps use. .

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

said by itguy05:

I'll take my virtual keyboard thanks.

Especially now that voice recognition software makes even typing on a virtual keyboard not needed most of the time. I talk to my smartphone to type messages and send txts.

sleuth3
Premium Member
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Let's see here:

On the Blackberry, the Period is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone, it's there.
On the Blackberry, the / is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone it's there
On the Blackberry, numbers are frustrating to type (2 key press for each).
Dialing the phone on the BB is a PITA as there is no keypad and you have to try to find the small buttons with the #s on them.

I'm sure there are more but I found trying to use the small keys a nightmare and using the Web an exercise in frustration.

While I agree with your assessment on the layout, the touchscreen isn't anymore efficient. You still have to navigate between 2 screens for letters, numbers and characters.

I'd rather press 2 buttons then navigate 2 or 3 windows, IMO. Again I'm looking for efficiency when I'm typing since I have to respond to long emails some times.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Relic!

This phone might be worth something someday if you never open it. RIM (CLOSED OUT OF BUSINESS 2014).
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by brianiscool:

This phone might be worth something someday if you never open it. RIM (CLOSED OUT OF BUSINESS 2014).

I'd take it over the POS that is Windows Phone. At least this OS is not FUGLY like Windows Phone.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Blackberry is vert limited in APPS. Where Windows Mobile phones you can install custom roms and Android on top of them. I doubt you will be able to do that with a Blackberry phone.

Ut98Ex
join:2012-07-11
Georgetown, TX

Ut98Ex

This is a game changer...

If it would have been released 2 years ago. This is a story of a day late and a Dollar short. They might be able to salvage some market share overseas however as BlackBerry is still very popular in Latin America and Asia....
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

This

I've gotten used to the screen keyboard. I find the physical keyboard on most Blackberry phones inefficient for my fat fingers as it is.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

A balanced review of the Z10

Click for full size
»crackberry.com/blackberr ··· 0-review

After watching the launchcast this morning, I think RIM has a winner on their hands. I was thinking about getting a Nexus 4 - but I'm going to get a BB Z10 next week instead.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

I just checked out their preview on Bloomberg.

This phone is indeed a game-changer. I hope Google is paying attention.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Transmaster to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Looking for a White Knight...Lenovo

Both Blackberry, and Lenovo have expressed a desire for some kind of partnership, we will see.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

RIM waited too long

These would have been interesting devices two years ago. The problem is that there is no established app ecosystem for users. Sure, there will be apps released, and I've seen a preliminary list, but it takes years to build up enough of them to effectively compete with other platforms. Look at Android. It's just recently gained parity with iOS in terms of app selection. And, if anything will be the downfall of Windows Phone, it will be a paltry app selection.

Another issue is the move to BYOD. Employees don't want to carry two devices, so they set up corporate mail on their personal phones. While this creates headaches for companies worried about security, they're learning to cope with it through enforced security policies, and the advantage is they don't have to invest in a bunch of BlackBerries and maintain servers for them to connect to.

Sorry, RIM, but you're a little late to the party. Even Microsoft waited a bit too long, and now the market is pretty much saturated.
pinkolera
join:2013-01-30

pinkolera to sleuth3

to sleuth3

Fox 73 has good news tooo

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Which phone

"Should I get the new Blackberry 10 or a Windows phone?" - Nobody Ever

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to sleuth3

Premium Member

to sleuth3

I don't like physical keyboards because they never last for me. They wear down, get gunk in them, etc, despite my best efforts to keep them clean.

I've also had several phones that have had problems with the "ribbon cable" that wears out from the mechanical action, causing half the keys to go dead.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to Maxo

to Maxo

Re: Which phone

Better than an Apple phone at least.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru

Premium Member

Its on ebay already...

eBay: »www.ebay.com/itm/1409115 ··· 31.l2649
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to 46436203

to 46436203

Re: Which phone

said by 46436203:

Better than an Apple phone at least.

Hardly. WP7/8 is junk. Blackberry is junk. BB 10 looks primising.

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm to jhllne

to jhllne

Re: BlackBerry still doesn't get it.

You are full of it, seriously. All specs are out and Z10 launches in the US in March, thanks to our PoS cell providers like AT&T, Verzion etc.
melonduck
join:2004-07-19
Atlanta, GA

melonduck

NYTimes Article

There's an article on NYTimes about the new BB Z10 if anyone wants to read it.

The BlackBerry, Rebuilt, Lives to Fight Another Day
Expand your moderator at work

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to sleuth3

Premium Member

to sleuth3

The software keyboards change based on what you're doing. Dialpad for phone, texting necessities for texting, web buttons for browsing, etc. This is what a physical keyboard can't do.
page: 1 · 2 · next