dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-30 12:17:22: After more than a year of delays, Research in Motion this morning unveiled their long awaited Blackberry 10 OS and smartphone lineup at a series of simultaneous launch events in Toronto, Paris, London and Dubai. ..

prev · 1 · 2

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

1 recommendation

bobjohnson to sleuth3

Premium Member

to sleuth3

Re: Too Little Too Late

said by sleuth3:

said by J E F F4:

They have done a great job...

We'll have to wait and see. I can only assume since I have yet to get my hands on one. They're going to have to pull people away from Apple and Droid which have an established customer base. Both of which also have good business applications.

I have also heard quite a few people say "If BlackBerry had a decent touchscreen phone I would get rid of this one." I can see some converts from the others.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to itguy05

to itguy05
I never had those problems on my BB Curve nor BB Storm 2
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Relic!

BB10 was suppose to be inline with Android as far as apps.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to itguy05

MVM

to itguy05

said by itguy05:

I agree but I laugh at people with those huge 5" Samsung phones. Way too big of a brick! If I wanted to carry a tablet, I would carry one. And if I wanted a stylus I'd go back to my Treo 650 where I lost them all the time.

That's the great thing about choice. You get to choose! Some people want to carry one device and have it serve as a phone and a tablet. Other people want to have just a smart phone. And yet others don't mind carrying a phone and a tablet of some size.

Catering to all three markets maximizes your potential sales.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by itguy05:

I'll take my virtual keyboard thanks.

Especially now that voice recognition software makes even typing on a virtual keyboard not needed most of the time. I talk to my smartphone to type messages and send txts.

I'm sorry.... am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious?? I used to joke about people using voice recognition to send texts...... WHY NOT JUST TALK?????

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by CosmicDebri:

I'm sorry.... am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious?? I used to joke about people using voice recognition to send texts...... WHY NOT JUST TALK?????

Because my younger relatives don't talk on their smartphones or even answer voice calls. They communicate by txt msgs; Facebook IMs; and very occasionally with emails. Voice is for really important things - like someone died or my car broke down & come and get me.

CosmicDebri
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

That's just sad..... but apparently true.....

People text more than talk..... most likely because they are texting when they CAN'T talk.... like in class, at work, in the operating room......

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to CosmicDebri

MVM

to CosmicDebri
said by CosmicDebri:

Because it's way faster for me to use Siri to say "Tell Andrew I'll be there in 5" than it is to find his name in the address book, dial him, wait for him to pick up, say "Hey Andrew, I'll be there in 5 minutes.", wait for him to respond, use the normal pleasantries to end the conversation, and then hang up?

I've never understood the "WHY NOT JUST CALL" people... Do you really not understand the difference between one way and two way communication, or interactive and non-interactive communication?

CosmicDebri
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

oh.... so I guess it's acceptable nowadays to talk AT people not TO them..... that's how I understand your one way/two way communication analogy......

This is what they call 'Social Media' or 'Social Interaction' these days..... once again I have to say... how sad......

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to kamm

Premium Member

to kamm

Re: BlackBerry still doesn't get it.

said by kamm:

You are full of it, seriously. All specs are out and Z10 launches in the US in March, thanks to our PoS cell providers like AT&T, Verzion etc.

They should just start selling them immediately, unlocked, and directly to customers on compatible networks. Let the carriers start selling them on contract when they are ready, but don't make customers wait. There are probably more than enough hardcore BlackBerry fans who would jump at the opportunity to get a new phone right away.

This also gives BlackBerry the opportunity to ensure that carriers can't destroy the user experience by bloating up the phone and delaying updates.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

4.5" is the sweet spot for me. If I had to pick between 5" and 4" or smaller I would go with 5".

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to sleuth3

Premium Member

to sleuth3
Yes, too little, too late.

This reviewer says this wasn't a launch, but a funeral.
»www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrm ··· ackberry

Today's BlackBerry 10 event wasn't a product launch. It was a funeral. It was clear that BlackBerry had lost the last thing it had going for it: its once-loyal fanbase has stopped caring.

In 2011, BlackBerry phones accounted for just 8.5% of new smartphone sales. By late 2012, this number had fallen to 1.6% In the same time the iPhone's numbers jumped from 22.4% to 48.1%.

"The problem with the Z10 is that it doesn't necessarily do anything better than any of its competition," Josh Topolsky notes, adding that "no one could argue that there's a 'killer app' here."

BlackBerry's pitch today, in 2013, was worse: executives weren't even able to promise the same level of app quality as Microsoft had in March of 2010. Angry Birds and Skype had been "promised" but weren't ready — an especially grim fact when you consider just how long this operating system had been delayed, and how old these two apps are.

Almost every BlackBerry review will end the same way: The phone is good, but is this too little, too late? To understand where BlackBerry stands right now is to understand that this is a rhetorical question. It would have been too little, too late two years ago.

belawrence
They'll never let you in
join:2000-08-06
Santee, CA
ARRIS WBM760
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

belawrence to itguy05

to itguy05

Re: Which phone

said by itguy05:

Hardly. WP7/8 is junk. Blackberry is junk. BB 10 looks primising.

Is your comment based on your real experience w/WP or is this just more iSheeple or fandroid trolling?

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: A balanced review of the Z10

looks eerily similar to a droid x....
Cheese

Cheese to belawrence

Premium Member

to belawrence

Re: Which phone

my vote is isheep...

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to bobjohnson

MVM

to bobjohnson

I think your collective heads would explode if you ever saw someone entering Japanese using a 10 digit numeric keypad.

That is a talent...

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

joetaxpayer

PlayBook Update

The 4 people who bought a PlayBook are all wondering when it will see this OS update.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka

Entry in kana followed by intellitype-style conversion to kanji. It can be pretty efficient, I'm sure.
sivran

sivran to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Which is too bad, too.

I would've been interested in a more powerful, keyboard-equipped phone. I despise virtual keyboards.
prev · 1 · 2