dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-31 08:49:03: According to data given to the Wall Street Journal by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), the average monthly data bill of the typical iPhone user is the highest in the smartphone market. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Eh. When you have the money to blow on an Apple product...

You probably have the money to blow on an overpriced wireless plan too.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

1 recommendation

Anzio

It's interesting to see how close Android users are too. I'm guessing it's the 'latest and greatest' gouging by the wireless operators. iPhone pricing falls in line with other phones too.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

2 recommendations

Duramax08 to SunnyD

Premium Member

to SunnyD
Apple iphones run around $200 with a 2 year contract, just like all the other phones. Dont give me that crap in the morning.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

cableties

Premium Member

said by Duramax08:

Apple iphones run around $200 with a 2 year contract, just like all the other phones. Dont give me that crap in the morning.

Shhh. Don't feed him. Besides, Sunny-D is the WORST drink, ever!
elizabeth4
join:2010-07-23

1 recommendation

elizabeth4

Does the study delineate single versus family plans?

Reading the study I'm wondering if it delineates between family and single owner plans?

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

Majestik to SunnyD

Premium Member

to SunnyD

Re: Eh. When you have the money to blow on an Apple product...

Paying $56/mo. for my att grandpa unlimited iPhone 5. Been paying this since first purchasing the 3GS over 3 years ago.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

I pay less than that. I also have a CM'd Captivate.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

MovieLover76 to Duramax08

to Duramax08
Your not considering the cost of the plan, nothing is really subsidized, the carriers that offer the iPhone charge more for monthly service, to mostly post-paid users. To make up for the so called subsidy they give.

And your also not considering that it costs more for the carriers to buy an iPhone than the average Android phone. Which is why they are carried mostly on the bigger carriers.
prepaid offers iPhones on some plans like Virgin mobile, but the up front cost for the device, means that most users on prepaid choose Android.

Android is very popular with prepaid plans, and post-paid plans, but the fact is that all those prepaid plans drag down the average cost per user.

If you compared only post-paid Android users to post-paid iPhone users, the costs would be much closer.
Justin024
join:2010-08-11
Atlanta, GA

Justin024 to elizabeth4

to elizabeth4

Re: Does the study delineate single versus family plans?

I'm on Verizon with the shared plan and I pay $80 before taxes & fees.

Nick N
@wideopenwest.com

Nick N

Anon

wow

Virgin Mobile USA charges $30 a month for iPhone users for 300 minutes, unlimited data, and unlimited texts. How can people seriously be so ignorant to pay 3-4 times that amount for perhaps less service each month?
ak3883
join:2005-08-20
Marlton, NJ

ak3883

No issues here

Very happy with my $23.75 a month for 2GB and 200 texts. Data is 18.75/mo after discount from work.

total bill with taxes is ~$56, going on 29 months. AT&T makes next to nothing on me

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to Nick N

to Nick N

Re: wow

Well to be fair, Sprint mvno Virgin Mobile, provides no roaming, which is important in many areas and you probably don't realize it but they throttle you after 2.5GB to 256kbps, though your not likely to notice as your lucky to get that speed on Sprint 3G.

Sprint 3G is the worst.
Your much better off with a GSM iPhone on StraightTalk for $45 if data speeds matter to you, and that's for unlimited talk/text and approximately 2GB of data.
MovieLover76

MovieLover76 to ak3883

to ak3883

Re: No issues here

Your one of a lucky few that get a price like that from AT&T without going throught a mvno. I get a discount from AT&T through work, though the deal they worked out isn't nearly as good. If I went to AT&T I'd still be paying almost $80.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

So?

Several articles have stated iPhone users use more data. The top two carriers offering the iPhone offer limited data plans. So it only makes sence that iPhone users's bills are going to be higher.

Nothing to see here. No real news.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to Duramax08

to Duramax08

My wife pays over $80/month for her ATT iPhone. My son and I both have androids and pay a total of ~$65 a month on TMobile. We don't have unlimited plans.

Also, she bought her phone subsidised from ATT. I bought both my phone and my son's phone outright. So perhaps you want to take the $375 for those two phones and divide it out over a few years for a more fair comparison...
NYC Girl
Premium Member
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

NYC Girl to SunnyD

Premium Member

to SunnyD
Why do people think Apple is so expensive??? They are no more expensive than Android, Windows Phone, Dell, and the like. Apple's iPad is less expensive than the Surface, etc., etc., etc. I think people just love to hate them. LOL!!!
NYC Girl

NYC Girl to Anzio

Premium Member

to Anzio
said by Anzio:

It's interesting to see how close Android users are too. I'm guessing it's the 'latest and greatest' gouging by the wireless operators. iPhone pricing falls in line with other phones too.

Yes, thank you!!! People just love to hate Apple, is all...

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to NYC Girl

to NYC Girl
So true is just the writers perception thats wrong. Heck I have and Iphone on ST and i only pay 49.79 and even if it was with a contract I will still pay the same if it was an SG3 or X one
NYC Girl
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

NYC Girl

Premium Member

said by Eddy120876:

So true is just the writers perception thats wrong. Heck I have and Iphone on ST and i only pay 49.79 and even if it was with a contract I will still pay the same if it was an SG3 or X one

Very nice, mine is about 96.00 which includes 30.00 for tethering and texting on verizon. Even with unlimited iOS texting sometimes the text is sent as a regular paid SMS text. Ugghhhh, if you don't ave a plan these things can add up.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

haha, my friends do

but not me!!!, I pay 30 for T-Mobile gotta love my 4s

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to NYC Girl

Premium Member

to NYC Girl

Well, they are overachievers at earning that hate.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to NYC Girl

to NYC Girl
I don't do the tethering because of my job we have free wifi and also have wifi at home. Also taking the subway theres no need for wifi. But that sounds like a decent plan you have with VZ I just wish Tethering was part of all phone plans. Someday i hope this become the norm. I do get unlimited texting and calling. the net is 2.5GB a month but i never seem to go over 1.5GB even when im watching netflix while traveling to NJ.
NYC Girl
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

NYC Girl

Premium Member

said by Eddy120876:

I don't do the tethering because of my job we have free wifi and also have wifi at home. Also taking the subway theres no need for wifi. But that sounds like a decent plan you have with VZ I just wish Tethering was part of all phone plans. Someday i hope this become the norm. I do get unlimited texting and calling. the net is 2.5GB a month but i never seem to go over 1.5GB even when im watching netflix while traveling to NJ.

I won't use the work wifi as they will know what I am doing on the Internet, won't they??
NYC Girl

NYC Girl to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

Well, they are overachievers at earning that hate.

Oh, hate, hate, hate... Lol

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M

Re: haha, my friends do

said by Cobra11M:

but not me!!!, I pay 30 for T-Mobile gotta love my 4s

I don't have 4G but I pay 20.00 for unlimited text/voice/data with Republic Wireless (and I use it mostly on CDMA, not WiFi for voix calls) If you can live without 4G, can't beat the price and the phone, a Motorola Defy XT, isn't that bad (best part it's water proof, good battery and not a slacker). Just saying.

It's not my primary phone but it does keep the bill in check.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to tcope

MVM

to tcope

Re: So?

Furthermore, there is no such thing as an "iPhone" or "Android" plan with most carriers (certainly not the ones in Canada), so they're on a level playing field. iPhone users are paying more because they're using more, simple as that.

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to NYC Girl

to NYC Girl

LOL I keep telling People hate is not good for their life. LOL
NYC Girl
Premium Member
Bronx, NY

NYC Girl

Premium Member

said by Eddy120876:

LOL I keep telling People hate is not good for their life. LOL

YUP!!

Eddy120876
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Eddy120876

i love people that hate apple is funny seen then go nuts when Apple does well. LOL

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

said by Eddy120876:

i love people that hate apple is funny seen then go nuts when Apple does well. LOL

»/profi ··· /1233971
page: 1 · 2 · next