dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-31 14:38:34: Time Warner Cable released fourth quarter earnings this morning which showed the company continues to lose basic cable subscribers, while adding fewer broadband customers than Wall Street analysts expected. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112

Premium Member

TWC sucks

Poor customer service, inherent pointing fingers to others within company, invest in infrastructure, channels dont all come in, just bad pricing for little return.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by swarto112:

Poor customer service, inherent pointing fingers to others within company, invest in infrastructure, channels dont all come in, just bad pricing for little return.

No disagreement with the customer service and incompetence within that area... but to get all the channels we get, 75/5 internet and unlimited calling for home phone for $220 bucks with 2 dvr's/1 playback box, it seems like a decent deal to me.
DataDork
Premium Member
join:2008-01-13
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

DataDork

Premium Member

ABC - 123

TW... want your customers back?

1. lower prices - watch customers roll right back.
2. stop hiking prices - retain your customers.
3. its that simple.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to chamberc

to chamberc

Re: TWC sucks

Sounds like a bending over to me.

FLATLINE
join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY

FLATLINE

No value

Just like I've been saying for years and people are slowly realizing there is no value to any of cables subscription packages.

ocjosh
@clearwire-wmx.net

ocjosh to DataDork

Anon

to DataDork

Re: ABC - 123

Stop the bogus commercial such as $20 for internet upto 50Mbps for 12 months which only give you 1Mbps, a lie. Your 50Mbps is actually $75 a month without mentioned there is a modem fee that you have to pay for, on top of that $75 or any other plan.
For that price in Kansas, I should get 1Gbps and parallel speed.

Google please come to Los Angeles....

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I have Comcast

I have Comcast and their customer service is worse than Time Warner. At least Time Warner answers their calls locally. When I call TWC from Biddeford, ME they answer the call in nearby Portland.

Call Comcast from Springfield, MA and you get a call center in Colorado. With local call centers, the CSRs are familiar with the local cable system. With out of state call centers, they answer for a bunch of systems and each has their own provisioning/billing system. Our system is a former AT&T broadband system and when Comcast inherited the system, they kept the old provisioning/billing system so our system has a screwy provisioning/billing system and the reps are trained for the native Comcast system.

If I need customer service, I don't even bother calling Comcast, I use the direct support forum on DSLR.

As for TV, I refuse to cut the cord.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to FLATLINE

to FLATLINE

Re: No value

said by FLATLINE:

Just like I've been saying for years and people are slowly realizing there is no value to any of cables subscription packages.

Seriously? I have Comcast and pay just UNDER $150 for TV, phone with unlimited long distance, and 20/5 internet. And service that I can count on one hand how many times it has been down in the last 6 years. I remember paying the days of paying $80 for basic phone and DSL "line charge" from Verizon, $30 for DSL ISP service, then paying $75 on top of that to DirecTV.

So, $185 for a phone line with no long distance and 768/128 DSL, and a dish that goes out every time the squirrels mated too close to it.

You couldn't pay ME enough to switch back to satellite and/or whatever glorified DSL the telcos are rolling out.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

I'll agree with that...
I had DirecTv - and it NEVER went out, but the pricing went only 1 direction - UP.
Similarly, AT&T is the POTS/ISP here, and their POTS + DSL cost me $80/month, add in another +$40/month for DirecTv, and its at $120 + fees/taxes, and that was to get 3Mbps. Any time the cities sprinklers went off (daily) DSL would drop for an hour.

On the cable side. TWC has its own issues,but I started out paying $90 for 10/1Mbps, phone and 2 cable boxes.

I'm now at 20/2Mbps, phone and 2 cable boxes + DVR for $120, 4 years later.

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

1 recommendation

rit56

TWC NYC

You can say what you want. 200 + a month for triple play cable service is way way way to expensive. Even here in NYC. That is the main reason everyone here drops their service and it is happening here big time. It is the cost. After a month without tv service you start to realize most of the shows you watched you don't miss and by than you're watching what you choose on Netflix. Are you paying attention HBO? Time is running out..... where's your HBO Go for those who just want HBO and don't want to be forced into buying a full package...

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: I have Comcast

said by IowaCowboy:

At least Time Warner answers their calls locally

Not after 5pm they dont. Everytime I call them at night to get tech support or whatever it goes somewhere like China or Singapore (obvious accents) and they use made up names like Susie or Thomas, and read from scripts. Once the script doesnt work all they ever do is schedule a tech appointment. I will say at least I dont ever have an outage very often which is good.

I would use TWC internet, if they could get it to work here at my house. Once TWC took over from Comcast my internet went out and never came back on. No one could ever figure out why either, so AT&T got that part of my business.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to chamberc

to chamberc

$220 a month is absurd. I could honestly care less about cable TV, but maybe it's a requirement for you. As for phone--why bother? You're just paying them twice for the same service, since their 'digital phone' is essentially nothing but VoIP. So why not bring your own VoIP plan and hardware and save some money?

54761437 (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Why do you keep saying you refuse to cut the cord? What value is there in cable TV? Most programming now has turned to garbage, and cable rates only keep going up.

GNShell
join:2001-02-12

GNShell to chamberc

to chamberc

$220 a month!!! Holy... sounds like someone is getting screwwwwed but good. lol

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

said by GNShell:

$220 a month!!! Holy... sounds like someone is getting screwwwwed but good. lol

The digital phone integration is nice and amounts to less than $25 of the bill. Having that much DVR space between 2 DVR's and all channels (save the mexican tier) + 75/5 makes it far cheaper than FIOS or dish, not to mention with dish you're dealing with the terrible PQ.
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112 to chamberc

Premium Member

to chamberc
said by chamberc:

said by swarto112:

No disagreement with the customer service and incompetence within that area... but to get all the channels we get, 75/5 internet and unlimited calling for home phone for $220 bucks with 2 dvr's/1 playback box, it seems like a decent deal to me.

Its a poor deal. When the channels sometimes work and sometimes dont. paying close to $160/mo for home phone, 20/2, 2 HD boxes, 2 cable cards for TiVos. that about triple what it was 10 years ago only difference is we get fast internet...on paper. I paid for beter quality video, way faster internet and more channels for that price. But my only other choice is U-verse but they dont support TiVo which means there infrastructure is even worse.

Poor infrastructure and compression...if they just upgrade stuff once in awhile it'd be way better.

Ive stopped using their worthless wifi router, put my handy N900 on the job...no one complains about poor wifi now and it handles the traffic so much better then the crap they roll out.

I dont understand it, TWC buy such inferior products with inferior software on it. They spend a fortune on support staff. I just came off of FIOS, you plug it in your self, it works, any problems and they rush out at no charge.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to 54761437

Premium Member

to 54761437

said by 54761437:

Why do you keep saying you refuse to cut the cord? What value is there in cable TV? Most programming now has turned to garbage, and cable rates only keep going up.

get a ton of value out of cable TV. Netflix sucks. It’s not even worth the $8 they charge for it. They content is stale. And personally, I don’t want to wait a year or more to see a show I’m interested in. I’ve been looking forward to the series premier of The Americans on FX for months. It premiered last night and I will be watching it in a few moments. How long before Netflix gets that? Off the top of my head I can name upwards of 50 shows I watch on a regular basis on cable or premium cable. And that doesn’t include things like Buffalo Sabres Hockey or NY Yankees Baseball, which always get priority #1. It doesn’t include NASCAR Races, NLL Lacrosse when it’s on CBS Sports Network. Or all the other NFL, NHL and MLB games I get on Sunday Ticket, Center Ice or Extra Innings. Plus The ‘I Love’ series on VH1, Roasts on Comedy Central or various paranormal shows on History or Bio. Saturday night premier movies on HBO and Starz and various other movies and special events on the movie channels. Stand up comedy specials on HBO Comedy. NFL Red Zone, MLB Strike Zone, ESPN Goal Line.

1) Boardwalk Empire
2) Game of Thrones
3) True Blood
4) Real Sports
5) Homeland
6) Dexter
7) Shameless
8) Californication
9) Inside The NFL
10) Inside NASCAR
11) Jim Rome On Showtime
12) Strike Back
13) Hunted
14) Banshee
15) Magic City
16) American Horry Story
17) The Americans
18) The Ultimate Fighter
19) Longmire
20) The Glades
21) Storage Wars
22) Storage Wars Texas
23) Barter Kings
24) Shipping Wars
25) Pawn Stars
26) Hardcore Pawn
27) Cupcake Wars
28) The Great Food Truck Race
29) Man Caves
30) How Its Made
31) South Park
32) Tosh.O
33) PTI
34) Sports Nation
35) SportsCenter
36) NFL 32
37) NFL Total Access
38) NHL On The Fly
39) MLB Tonight
40) Hot Stove
41) NASCAR Race Hub
42) Rome
43) The O’Reilly Factor
44) Hannity
45) Red Eye

I With the amount of enjoyment I get out of the huge amount of current run content available to me I have no problem with my vary large both Time Warner and DirecTV bills. Netflix is a joke, Hulu is a joke, OTA TV is next to useless aside for Sports and Animation Domination on Fox, although that new show The Following is pretty kickass. Could be better if it was on FX though, with less restrictions.

So which online services do I have to get to get to get all of that content in current run form?

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to chamberc

Premium Member

to chamberc

said by chamberc:

said by swarto112:

Damn that sucks. Here with Verizon I have Extreme HD with Showtime and HBO plus Spanish and Japanese package, 1 DVR, 5 HD Boxes, Phone, 75/35 internet for 170 dollars a month.

Taking out the discounts it would still be around 195 dollars.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32

said by Happydude32:

said by 54761437:

get a ton of value out of cable TV. Netflix sucks. It’s not even worth the $8 they charge for it. They content is stale. And personally, I don’t want to wait a year or more to see a show I’m interested in. I’ve been looking forward to the series premier of The Americans on FX for months. It premiered last night and I will be watching it in a few moments. How long before Netflix gets that? Off the top of my head I can name upwards of 50 shows I watch on a regular basis on cable or premium cable. And that doesn’t include things like Buffalo Sabres Hockey or NY Yankees Baseball, which always get priority #1. It doesn’t include NASCAR Races, NLL Lacrosse when it’s on CBS Sports Network. Or all the other NFL, NHL and MLB games I get on Sunday Ticket, Center Ice or Extra Innings. Plus The ‘I Love’ series on VH1, Roasts on Comedy Central or various paranormal shows on History or Bio. Saturday night premier movies on HBO and Starz and various other movies and special events on the movie channels. Stand up comedy specials on HBO Comedy. NFL Red Zone, MLB Strike Zone, ESPN Goal Line.

I With the amount of enjoyment I get out of the huge amount of current run content available to me I have no problem with my vary large both Time Warner and DirecTV bills. Netflix is a joke, Hulu is a joke, OTA TV is next to useless aside for Sports and Animation Domination on Fox, although that new show The Following is pretty kickass. Could be better if it was on FX though, with less restrictions.

So which online services do I have to get to get to get all of that content in current run form?

I agree, my Comcast Xfinity boxes get way more use than my first generation Apple TV. The TV right now is tuned to The Weather Channel, but I also watch Fox News, 22 News (WWLP newscasts), Cops, Music Choice (hit list, pop hits, '90s hits), Law & Order, CSI, etc. I had Netflix but is not worth my $8 per month so I cancelled. I also have my home phone and Internet through Comcast.
Expand your moderator at work
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32

Wow, I can honestly say the only two on your list I have ever seen are How it's Made and Southpark. How do you find time to watch all of that?
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Over played their hand

When I got the notice they were going to charge me $5/mo for the internet modem that was built into the voip connection I bought my own internet modem and canceled the voip. They were also going up on their rates that month. My bill dropped from $195 to $141. So the Voip was costing me $54 and I seldom used the phone.
After I dropped the voip they sent me an offer for a two year contract I would get one year free. That just made me madder. One good thing is I don't get anymore sales calls.
If I lived closer to a big city I might drop the TV and go OTA. The SYFY is about the only cable channel I watch.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

Not all of those shows are on every week during the same time of year. A typical cable drama series is only 13 episodes per season. Premium cable series are usually 10 episodes a season. Network shows are 22 or 23. On network TV I watch 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, Hawaii 5-0, Vegas, Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI:NY, Blue Bloods, Person of Interest, Elementary, Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, The Simpson’s, Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, Bobs Burgers and The Following.

From the moment I get home from work to the moment I go to bed the TV is on. And I prioritize, I don’t necessarily have to watch The Factor and Hannity every night, but I must watch every Sabres game. I’m watching the Sabres/Bruins game right now, as I type this on my tablet and I’ll start watching last nights episode of Barter Kings during the first intermission.

Between TWC and DirecTV, I have 4 DVRs containing 11 tuners and 2.5 TB worth of recording capacity. Pretty much everything is fair game.

jdrtech
join:2004-08-01
Richmond Hill, NY

jdrtech to WhatNow

to WhatNow

Re: Over played their hand

I dropped TWC video and just have basic HD channels and stream video via my samsung smart tv...i do not miss the set top box!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to chamberc

Premium Member

to chamberc

said by chamberc:

said by swarto112:

thats pretty good if thats the out the door price including all the unfees+equipment. if not then yawn.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32

said by Happydude32:

From the moment I get home from work to the moment I go to bed the TV is on.

You know there's a couple of good 12 step programs for that problem.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to Happydude32

to Happydude32
Dude you need to get a life. Seriously I'm old with kids and I don't have the time to watch all that.

You have a union job don't you??? They're the only people who have that kind of time on their hands.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to FLATLINE

Premium Member

to FLATLINE

Re: No value

said by FLATLINE:

Amen, brother!!

Even if you could call it value, it still isn't worth it, so no value there! It's one thing to be called a value, but when you're paying an arm and a leg for it anyway, how is that a value?

The person above that is paying $220 a month for internet, tv and phone, is NOT value, IMO!

I must say, I like this line in the article:
"Still, residential high-speed data revenue for the quarter rose 17.2 percent, thanks primarily to a suite of consistent price hikes"

There's your value!!

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

1 edit

Packeteers to rit56

Premium Member

to rit56

Re: TWC NYC

i'm happy with TWC ($30/mo Coop discount for Standard 15/1), but that recent modem lease stunt has me nervous. since the Coop restricts OTA roof antenna, i get my video content by p2p/torrents over a $20/yr VPN provider, so it's unlikely i'll ever get cableTV unless is finally goes AlaCarte. i would have stayed with Verizon 7/1 DSL had they not forced POT on me - since my home phone need be nothing more than a $20/yr MagicJack. so i'll probably stay with TWC even when FiOS finally comes to my building in 2014, as long as TWC does not significantly raise my subscription costs or caps my GB/mo usage (i get about 2GB each day).

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
ARRIS CM8200
ARRIS SB6183

AMDUSER to WhatNow

Premium Member

to WhatNow

Re: Over played their hand

I got rid of their voip and internet after they could not get their act together.. for 6 years I had many missed calls because the phone was not working right. Then TWC didn't bother to give me credit for most of the outages.. I called them up [on a cell phone] to complain. Then to top it off the week I had U-Verse VoIP and internet installed I was missing calls - again- It would show up on the caller ID on tv- Yet the phone was not ringing.. Never again!

Oh, the other reason I switched was because their rates were too high- $163 and change for standard internet, unlimited nationwide, and digital service, with 1 convertor and dvr service.. At that price, I decided to look around locally at pricing by going with someone else.
I'm sure At&t could get me a bundle for satellite, IP-DSL, and voip for less then TWC. [The only thing I do miss is that TWC roadrunner standard is faster then the 6 Meg IP-DSL service I qualify for.]
page: 1 · 2 · next