spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-31 14:38:34: Time Warner Cable released fourth quarter earnings this morning which showed the company continues to lose basic cable subscribers, while adding fewer broadband customers than Wall Street analysts expected. ..

page: 1 · 2

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:1
reply to Steve Mehs

Re: I have Comcast

Wow, I can honestly say the only two on your list I have ever seen are How it's Made and Southpark. How do you find time to watch all of that?

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

Over played their hand

When I got the notice they were going to charge me $5/mo for the internet modem that was built into the voip connection I bought my own internet modem and canceled the voip. They were also going up on their rates that month. My bill dropped from $195 to $141. So the Voip was costing me $54 and I seldom used the phone.
After I dropped the voip they sent me an offer for a two year contract I would get one year free. That just made me madder. One good thing is I don't get anymore sales calls.
If I lived closer to a big city I might drop the TV and go OTA. The SYFY is about the only cable channel I watch.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to CXM_Splicer

Not all of those shows are on every week during the same time of year. A typical cable drama series is only 13 episodes per season. Premium cable series are usually 10 episodes a season. Network shows are 22 or 23. On network TV I watch 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, Hawaii 5-0, Vegas, Criminal Minds, CSI, CSI:NY, Blue Bloods, Person of Interest, Elementary, Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, The Simpson’s, Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, Bobs Burgers and The Following.

From the moment I get home from work to the moment I go to bed the TV is on. And I prioritize, I don’t necessarily have to watch The Factor and Hannity every night, but I must watch every Sabres game. I’m watching the Sabres/Bruins game right now, as I type this on my tablet and I’ll start watching last nights episode of Barter Kings during the first intermission.

Between TWC and DirecTV, I have 4 DVRs containing 11 tuners and 2.5 TB worth of recording capacity. Pretty much everything is fair game.
--
Dale Jr, Riding Daddys Coattails Since February 18, 2001!

jdrtech

join:2004-08-01
Ridgewood, NY
reply to WhatNow

Re: Over played their hand

I dropped TWC video and just have basic HD channels and stream video via my samsung smart tv...i do not miss the set top box!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to chamberc

Re: TWC sucks

said by chamberc:

said by swarto112:

Poor customer service, inherent pointing fingers to others within company, invest in infrastructure, channels dont all come in, just bad pricing for little return.

No disagreement with the customer service and incompetence within that area... but to get all the channels we get, 75/5 internet and unlimited calling for home phone for $220 bucks with 2 dvr's/1 playback box, it seems like a decent deal to me.

thats pretty good if thats the out the door price including all the unfees+equipment. if not then yawn.
--
Despises any post with strings.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to Steve Mehs

said by Steve Mehs:

From the moment I get home from work to the moment I go to bed the TV is on.

You know there's a couple of good 12 step programs for that problem.

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
reply to Steve Mehs

Dude you need to get a life. Seriously I'm old with kids and I don't have the time to watch all that.

You have a union job don't you??? They're the only people who have that kind of time on their hands.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to FLATLINE

Re: No value

said by FLATLINE:

Just like I've been saying for years and people are slowly realizing there is no value to any of cables subscription packages.

Amen, brother!!

Even if you could call it value, it still isn't worth it, so no value there! It's one thing to be called a value, but when you're paying an arm and a leg for it anyway, how is that a value?

The person above that is paying $220 a month for internet, tv and phone, is NOT value, IMO!

I must say, I like this line in the article:
"Still, residential high-speed data revenue for the quarter rose 17.2 percent, thanks primarily to a suite of consistent price hikes"

There's your value!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to rit56

Re: TWC NYC

i'm happy with TWC ($30/mo Coop discount for Standard 15/1), but that recent modem lease stunt has me nervous. since the Coop restricts OTA roof antenna, i get my video content by p2p/torrents over a $20/yr VPN provider, so it's unlikely i'll ever get cableTV unless is finally goes AlaCarte. i would have stayed with Verizon 7/1 DSL had they not forced POT on me - since my home phone need be nothing more than a $20/yr MagicJack. so i'll probably stay with TWC even when FiOS finally comes to my building in 2014, as long as TWC does not significantly raise my subscription costs or caps my GB/mo usage (i get about 2GB each day).

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to WhatNow

Re: Over played their hand

I got rid of their voip and internet after they could not get their act together.. for 6 years I had many missed calls because the phone was not working right. Then TWC didn't bother to give me credit for most of the outages.. I called them up [on a cell phone] to complain. Then to top it off the week I had U-Verse VoIP and internet installed I was missing calls - again- It would show up on the caller ID on tv- Yet the phone was not ringing.. Never again!

Oh, the other reason I switched was because their rates were too high- $163 and change for standard internet, unlimited nationwide, and digital service, with 1 convertor and dvr service.. At that price, I decided to look around locally at pricing by going with someone else.
I'm sure At&t could get me a bundle for satellite, IP-DSL, and voip for less then TWC. [The only thing I do miss is that TWC roadrunner standard is faster then the 6 Meg IP-DSL service I qualify for.]

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to chamberc

Re: TWC sucks

said by chamberc:
.....dish, not to mention with dish you're dealing with the terrible PQ.
Please elaborate I've had Dish since it pretty much started, and the PQ when SD was all there was far superior than crable or OTA, and since HD its as good as the 720p, 1080p data I have...

Dish is using MP4 and limits most 1080i to 1440V v. 1920V, I really see nothing to complain about on Dish other than the SD's that have no HD equal...and why they are wasting space on SD's that have HD... if you don't have a newer DBS receiver to convert it to SD, too bad! I was required to upgrade AT MY EXPENSE my 5K, so all you luddites should upgrade too so transponder space can be saved/reused for more important things.
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

cipater

join:2000-05-18
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Corehhi

A union guy who watches O'Reilly and Hannity? That could be a first.

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
Reviews:
·Hargray Cable

said by cipater:

A union guy who watches O'Reilly and Hannity? That could be a first.

LOL, I didn't notice that and you are right it would be weird.

MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Steve Mehs

If you've got the money and enjoy paying stupid amounts of money every month for TV, then more power to you. But I would say you're not representative of the average TV viewer who only watches a few channels/shows and pays for a bunch of garbage to subsidize the expensive content producers like Disney.

And honestly, how is Netflix not worth $8 a month? If you're already paying $200 or $300 a month for cable and satellite, you're worried about another $8? lol

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16

said by TamaraB:

said by Steve Mehs:

From the moment I get home from work to the moment I go to bed the TV is on.

You know there's a couple of good 12 step programs for that problem.

It’s not a problem, it’s a hobby. I enjoy digital entertainment and being consumed by media

said by Corehhi:

Dude you need to get a life. Seriously I'm old with kids and I don't have the time to watch all that.

You have a union job don't you??? They're the only people who have that kind of time on their hands.

No, I don’t need a life. Electronic toys and digital media consumption are my life. The only motivation I have to drag my sorry ass out of bed in the morning to go to work is to get money to buy new toys. What am I supposed to do after work? Be like a good portion of the American population and hang out at some lousy bar and drink devils piss (AKA alcohol), get inebriated and act like a total jackass? No, I don’t have a union job, not sure why that matters. I’m supposed to work four 10 hour days (Mon – Thur) and have Fridays off. But this is our busy season at work, I work 11-12 hour days most days with mandatory Fridays. After getting up at 3:45AM and sometimes not getting home until 5 or 6 in the evening, what am I supposed to do with my life besides vegetate in front of the TV? After working 55-60 hours a week, the weekend is my time to continue to do nothing. Sorry if watching a ton of TV doesn’t qualify as a life to you, but you try working that many hours a week doing physical labor for 6 months out of the year, and then cutting down to only 40-42 hours a week during the summer months, and tell me how motivated you are to do much of anything else.
said by MrBungle87:

If you've got the money and enjoy paying stupid amounts of money every month for TV, then more power to you. But I would say you're not representative of the average TV viewer who only watches a few channels/shows and pays for a bunch of garbage to subsidize the expensive content producers like Disney.

And honestly, how is Netflix not worth $8 a month? If you're already paying $200 or $300 a month for cable and satellite, you're worried about another $8? lol

Considering I watch a ton of Disney owned content via the ESPN Networks, I don’t give a rats ass about what they cost. If I had the choice between losing ESPN and having my bill go down or keep ESPN and play an extra $15/month, there’s no decision to make here. I need my ESPN!

And no, Netflix isn’t even worth used toilet paper. I signed up for the month free trial last year after subscribing to their DVD by mail service when it first came out for a few years. The streaming content selection was so piss poor. Just about every movie and TV show I wanted to watch was not available for online streaming. I missed the first few seasons of King of the Hill. I used Netflix to stream the first few seasons of that show and then canceled the service about two weeks into my free trial as I was so disgusted with it. The only stuff I found worth a damn was the Starz content, which is now gone. But in comparing both the audio and video quality between Netflix streaming and what I get on cable with Starz HD, there was no comparison. It sucked.

I get more value out of paying $6 for the Latino Package on TW, and I don’t speak a work of Spanish then I would out of flushing $8 down the toilet with Netsux.
--
Dale Jr, Riding Daddys Coattails Since February 18, 2001!

FLATLINE

join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY
reply to clone

Re: No value

Your problem is your addicted to the kool aid. You telephone hookup bundled with your package is obsolete and worthless. Even if you do use it the cost to provide that service is virtually nothing compared to what you pay. So basically your paying 150 for cable and internet. Its common knowledge the ISPs are overcharging for internet and putting less and less back into the network. So everyday your paying more and more for the service when you should be paying less an then even less as time goes on. This changes if they are actually reinvesting back into the network the way they should be. Last but not least your cable tv. I'm not even going to bother because if can't see the continued loss of value on top of their being no value to begin with then you just can't be helped.

Your continued support for all this garbage is only prolonging the agony of the industry too stupid to see for themselves how bad their business really is. Good job! Meanwhile your service is about to skyrocket even higher due to everyone else around you realizing what I've been saying for years and dumping services that don't make any sense or have any value. So your fine with having your wallet raped now but soon you wont be. You people are going to make up the loss in profits due to the cord cutting from others.