dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-31 18:22:26: Comcast finished their digital conversion in 2012 after starting it in 2009, and had been giving users a free digital converter so they could continue to watch programming without interruption. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

I returned mine and and had $2 pulled from the bill

It used to be free and I had mine for a few years without charges. But then they started charging for it. I no longer used it so I returned mine and had the $2 pulled from the bill. And then I got pissed & complained about it to the local Comcast rep and he sent me to the retention dept where I got a $15/mo credit applied for a year. So in the end it is saving me $17/mo. Comcast should have left well enough alone.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Mine are going back tomorrow, was being charged for both and HD fee on both despite repeated assurances to just hold on to them (neither has ever been used, one is still sealed in the shipping box.)
My "Guaranteed" sub $85 blast plus HD hit $97 for 2 months now, which is NOT what we ( Me and the desk guy at the service center) talked about.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Nasty

This is a pretty slimy tactic, considering a lot of people grabbed ones they didn't really need when they rolled them out.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: I returned mine and and had $2 pulled from the bill

Wonder how many people who always are resigned to cable bill increases won't notice and just be paying from now until __________ for something they are not using.

Trust me, it will happen. Then will come the lawsuit(s)....
cdbma
join:2003-01-19
Bolton, MA

cdbma

got me by the...

I have two analog TVs. I was thrilled when Comcast gave me two DAs for no charge. Well done...or so I thought. Now I'm being charged $2/month for each. If I ditch the DAs, I have to ditch the TVs (I tried a D/A adapter and a DTV antenna - not great). So, I can send a message by returning, but then I'd have to get new DTVs, which would require two STBs - at additional cost.

I'm hosed!

I like the idea of taking them back and seeing if they blink.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

3 recommendations

FFH5 to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

said by KrK:

Wonder how many people who always are resigned to cable bill increases won't notice and just be paying from now until __________ for something they are not using.

Before I retired and was working 60 hr weeks and on call 24 x 7 I probably wouldn't have taken the time and energy to correct this. But now that I have free time, I follow up on these small ripoffs and fight them.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

1 edit

2 recommendations

Zoder to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: Nasty

There's several issues I brought up in the Comcast forum when this first surfaced.

With all of the DTAs purchased, Comcast saved billions of dollars by going the digital migration route instead of upgrading all plants to 1 ghz or more. They also saved money by getting the FCC to give a waiver on the separable security mandate for the DTAs.

Now that they have a huge install base hooked on them, they go for an easy profit stream. After the year or so it will take to break even on the wholesale cost, Comcast will be making 100% on the millions of these deployed in the field every single month.

The worst part is they are so cheap but we have no way to purchase them out right. Customers are going to be paying for them many times over through a DTAs lifetime.

Then they could allow customers who have QAM tuners in their tvs to watch the channels a DTA decrypts without a box but they are eliminating Clear QAM to keep from having to install filters and cut down on theft of service. Another money saving tactic that they are making the customer pay for by having to rent a DTA instead of letting their TV do the work.

Also, Comcast has stated the charge consists of 50 cents for the DTA and $1.49 for a digital outlet. This shows perfectly how much of a scam the whole "digital outlet" charge is. It's clearly been designed as a system to work around the FCC's customer owned equipment rule. Since Comcast has to issue a credit for the equipment part of the charge for these customers.

Oh no customer, we're only charging you $2.50 for the equipment. It doesn't matter if it's an SD, HD or DVR box. The equipment is just $2.50. It's the "outlet" that you are paying $7+ for.

Yet here we see the outlet charge is only $1.49. It's the same outlet and if you have digital starter, the same channels.

Since the difference in price is so minimal between renting an STB and the credit you get for owning, this also incentivises customers to stick with the Comcast leased equipment vs buying their own and using a cablecard. This is certainly not what the FCC intended.
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to cdbma

to cdbma

Re: got me by the...

Hopefully you're close enough to the Boston market when Aereo comes to town. Aereo's service connected through a Roku box for each set gives 1hr day for free, or unlimited w/20hrs DVR storage for $8mo.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Returned to Sender

I took the two free adapters as soon as they announced them several years ago. All I did was activate them and made sure they worked. I never watched TV on them again.

When I saw the upcharge on my last bill, I took them back and got full credit of $3.98 (2@ $1.99 each).

If I have company coming in from out of town I'll just go down to the local service center and pick up a converter and take it back when my guests leave.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac to FFH5

to FFH5

I returned mine last month. Comcast charged me a $2 service change fee to do so. Can't win either way.
cdbma
join:2003-01-19
Bolton, MA

cdbma to kaila

to kaila

You hit the nail on the head. I need competition. Comcast is the only game in town, other than satellite. I will not put a dish on my roof! I can't get FIOS, and Comcast knows that I'm bluffing if I threaten to pull the plug, because I have limited choices for video and internet. I am a pure capitalist. In general, I really don't have a problem with what Comcast charges. I am upset that I don't have other viable choices if I want to go elsewhere.

I will pursue Aereo and other alternatives. Thanks for the tip.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Is this Still Applicable?

»digitalnow.comcast.com/A ··· ate.aspx
What will it cost?
Limited Basic only customers are eligible to receive digital adapter service (and digital adapters) for three (3) outlets without additional charge. A digital adapter service charge of $0.50 will apply to each additional outlet for those customers. All other customers are eligible to receive a digital set-top box and service included at no additional charge with their primary outlet, and the digital adapter service charge of $1.99 will apply to each additional digital adapter service outlet (such charges are not applicable for digital adapter service outlets existing on accounts prior to July 1, 2012). Certain markets may have alternative pricing. Enter your unique ID or account number in the Equipment Center log in on the previous page for pricing of your service.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to Zoder

to Zoder

I am particularly irritated because I replaced two televisions in 2011 in guest bedrooms so visitors could watch TV without interfering with our viewing. At that time it was not necessary to use a STB to receive 70 extended basic channels. Then Comcast cut it down to 21 limited basic channels. Now it is 0 channels. In view of the fact that our lawmakers are corrupt do not expect to see any action to resolve this gouging. I am sure that Comcast will continue to raise prices on the DTA's until consumers are paying $5.00 or more per month without being able to view all programming that they are paying for. I cannot justify paying $9.95 plus tax per month for an HD STB that is only used a couple of weeks per year.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

Big deal

Everyone and his mother knew that they wouldn't be free forever. It had been stated you get it for 2 years free then you pay $2 a month. So why get mad now? You had 2 years warning. It's kind of like a kid that acts up and the parent tells them if they do it again they'll get spanked and they act up again but are yet somehow totally shocked when they get their ass beat.

backfeed
is giving feedback
join:2002-12-16
Peru, IN

backfeed

cost

here is what the website states now...
Well mine are going back.....

What will it cost?
Limited Basic only customers are eligible to receive digital adapter service (and digital adapters) for three (3) outlets without additional charge. A digital adapter service charge of $0.50 will apply to each additional outlet for those customers. All other customers are eligible to receive a digital set-top box and service included at no additional charge with their primary outlet, and the digital adapter service charge of $1.99 will apply to each additional digital adapter service outlet (such charges are not applicable for digital adapter service outlets existing on accounts prior to July 1, 2012). Certain markets may have alternative pricing. Enter your unique ID or account number in the Equipment Center log in on the previous page for pricing of your service.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt

said by Mr Matt:

I am particularly irritated because I replaced two televisions in 2011 in guest bedrooms so visitors could watch TV without interfering with our viewing. At that time it was not necessary to use a STB to receive 70 extended basic channels. Then Comcast cut it down to 21 limited basic channels. Now it is 0 channels....

Well, you could always switch to that service that doesnt use boxes like satellite telco tv..oh wait none do anymore. Not sure why someone would really be upset over this. I look at TV without a box / dta (analog channels) as maybe a little benefit they extended to customers but it is time to move on and free up the bandwidth for more services.

Do you get disgruntled that DirectTV or Dish do not allow you to watch TV without a box or have you just always accepted it?
swintec

swintec to cdbma

Premium Member

to cdbma

said by cdbma:

other than satellite. I will not put a dish on my roof!

You dont want comcast because of the box / DTA charges and also dont really want the converter box but the reason you wont use DirectTV is because you dont want a dish on your roof? Do you know that satellite uses boxes to?
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to anon anon

to anon anon

Re: Big deal

Maybe Charter said that. Comcast said they would be free peiod. No timetable.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to swintec

to swintec

I did not just accept the fact that the DBS providers required customers to rent a Satellite Receiver for each television. I did not switch to satellite for just that reason. Back in the 90's consumers went to their local electronics store and purchased as many satellite receivers as they needed. The DBS provider arranged for installation. The customer did not rent their DBS receivers. At one time some television manufactures included satellite receivers in their high end projection television sets.

Then the DBS providers decided to price their service more like digital cable so they rented their DBS receivers. That was the excuse that some cable companies used to justify charging per outlet so they would have parity with the DBS providers.

Since the cable pigs are requiring a DTA for every television, customers no longer have the advantage of installing televisions capable of receiving extended basic cable without a STB at no charge. Before the DTA requirement a customer could receive extended basic channels on infrequently used cable ready television sets at no additional monthly charge. One of the reasons I stuck with cable was that ability. Anyone that is pissed off at their cable service provider should switch to DBS just so the cable pigs can no longer get their money. I am considering switching to DBS even if the cost is a little higher to stop feeding the cable pig.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac to Morac

Premium Member

to Morac

I returned one of mine in December, but I continued to get billed for it. Got that fixed... and then I got charged the $1.99 service change fee. You're right, can't win.

The other one is going back shortly. I've decided I just don't need cable on every TV if I'm going to be charged for every damn outlet.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to Zoder

Premium Member

to Zoder

Outlets are free as houses are pre-wired.
Comcast just has to plug into a homes splitter.

So if they said $1.50 per outlet and they did not install your outlet then they should take the $1.50 off per converter and you should only have to pay the $.50.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to Morac

to Morac

said by Morac:

I returned mine last month. Comcast charged me a $2 service change fee to do so. Can't win either way.

Then why not walk in and hand them a made up invoice and charge them an “inconvenience fee”? There used to be services centers all over the place, now, I have to drive 10 miles to the nearest one. There were 2 within 5 miles 2 years ago. Therefore, I’m having to drive further because they can have a truck drop by and pick it up. All’s fair. A fuel surcharge, a inconvenience fee, even a nuisance fee. If anything, you will confuse the hell out of the lady behind the bullet proof glass.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984 to kaila

Premium Member

to kaila

said by kaila:

Hopefully you're close enough to the Boston market when Aereo comes to town. Aereo's service connected through a Roku box for each set gives 1hr day for free, or unlimited w/20hrs DVR storage for $8mo.

Aereo is only for OTA tv which is free.
Aereo is really for those that want to watch OTA tv on their mobile phones or tablets over the internet.
r81984

r81984 to anon anon

Premium Member

to anon anon

Re: Big deal

said by anon anon :

Everyone and his mother knew that they wouldn't be free forever. It had been stated you get it for 2 years free then you pay $2 a month. So why get mad now? You had 2 years warning. It's kind of like a kid that acts up and the parent tells them if they do it again they'll get spanked and they act up again but are yet somehow totally shocked when they get their ass beat.

Yes they should be free forever because they cost less than $5 to make and comcast is purposely making it so your TV will not work with cable anymore without the box.
Comcast should be selling them outright for $5 to $10 for those that want extra.
This is why we need government intervention that does not allow them to rent, they must sell them outright and allow 3rd party competitors to sell devices that will work.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon to Zoder

Anon

to Zoder
said by Zoder:

Maybe Charter said that. Comcast said they would be free peiod. No timetable.

Actually they said 2 years.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

Do you have proof of that?
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

suck

Here's a thought or two.
Cable was originally intended to be easier and better than having an antenna.
Nobody seems to remember or care.

Cable ready was great. Now they have the opportunity to say "look, satellite needs a box too!" ...and pretty much screw everyone into thinking it's needed.

Why even bother with QAM tuners in things anymore? There really needs to be am "addressable" standard tuner, much like a cable modem, if they intend to pull such shit.

No good reason a TV, with no box attached, should not be able to get cable, with 99% of available channels. Arguing about satellite is ridiculous, as the method of receiving is vastly different, and requires retransmission from satellites owned by the provider (or, leased, in directv's case).

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to cdbma

MVM

to cdbma

said by cdbma:

I like the idea of taking them back and seeing if they blink.

Why would they blink? You're either going to pay the DTA rental fee, the STB rental fee, or get rid of the TV. No matter what way you look at it, you lose.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

1 recommendation

Corehhi to KrK

to KrK

said by KrK:

That's why companies love if you sign up to have your bill automatically taken out of your checking account. You might not notice forever.
Corehhi

Corehhi to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Mr. Matt wrong very wrong. People were hacking the boxes at a huge rate there was a whole industry going on, the boxes weren't hacked but the cards were. The sat companies charged you $4.95 for ever extra receiver you had if I remember right, they were not free. Of course if you had a hacked card you used your good cam number for the other cards oh wait a minute, never mine how all that worked. You did by the boxes but they had to program the cards for you for ever receiver unless you wanted to run off of one receiver and only watch one channel at a time.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next