spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-01 08:54:40: Earlier this month Netflix announced that they'd start offering users 3D and "Super HD" movie streams if their ISPs used Netflix's new content delivery network. ..

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink
reply to Skippy25

Re: Why would they?

Verizon's is not that robust and they dont reach every business and user in the world thus they are peering with others.

"Verizon has received top Metro Ethernet Forum awards around the world for its leadership and innovation in developing and delivering Carrier Ethernet business services. In addition to earning the Global Service Provider of the Year award for the fourth consecutive year, Verizon received two Carrier Ethernet Business Application Awards for Asia-Pacific, the Best Marketing award for the Americas and the North America Regional Service Provider award."

Yup, totally not Robust at all. Nah, perhaps I'll believe the Metro Ethernet Forum.

»metroethernetforum.org/page_load···_id=2499

»newscenter.verizon.com/corporate···t-forum/

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to Skippy25

BTW I really don't disagree with you or the other side, something is missing

1. I agree it's really a win for all

but

2. Verizon and Redbox have Instant

3. This "OpenConnect" CDN, I don't care what's it's called - is something that Netflix would normally have to PAY Verizon to connect to. - just as Netflix PAYS Level 3. So offering this new CDN for "free" is not an incentive for Verizon.

4. Verizon Owns and Operates this place:
Miami, FL: NAP Of The Americas
»www.terremark.com/data-centers/a···cas.aspx

Verizon can freely peer with almost anyone if they wanted to. But they don't. That's how the Internet works. The Tier 1's are all friends. The others have to pay the Tier 1's if they want to connect.

dre8791

join:2010-08-09
Camden, NJ
reply to Telco

Re: Dat Bitrate

Yes it is....

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

Smaller ISP's could still benefit if they had to pay for the caching servers and connection as well.

Can you throw out how you define "smaller ISP's"? I operate an EXTREMELY small ISP, and don't consider my network anywhere close to even being large enough to be considered "small" but even so, it takes a heck of a large network to be able to get any benefit from the servers.

Even if Netflix were to give me the caching server, I need to supply it with a 5 gbps connection in order for it to update the content nightly. In a metro area where you have access to datacenters containing many of the Tier-1 providers, sure, that's no problem. You can do the peering then too.

But for any ISP in rural areas, this is a non-starter. It costs $5,000 a month in my region just to get a 100 mbps fiber connection to backhaul bandwidth from a metro area. The prices per meg go down as you go to gigabit and above, but still that's a hell of a price tag just to feed the caching server, and I consider any ISP big enough to have that much traffic to not be considered "small" anymore. Sure, they may not be giants like VZ, etc, but I consider that to be at least a medium to large provider.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to silbaco

You don't have to peer with them at their data centers. You can cache their content with their boxes as well. But its limited to many ISPs as they are required to have X amount of traffic to NF at a given time. So its back to square one for most of them. The Open Connect system is pointless for a great deal of ISPs that actually compete with AT&T, VZ, Comcast, etc.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA
reply to gjrhine

Re: Dat Bitrate

The issues is that it isn't even HD never mind Super-HD.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

Netflix tests your network and adjusts compression accordingly.

theblonde07
Premium
join:2002-04-28
Piney Creek, NC
reply to silbaco

Actually that isn't true regarding small ISP's. I'm in North Carolina in a rural area with a small ISP and they have peered up with netflix.

said by silbaco:

Why would large ISPs signup? They are supposed to peer directly with Netflix. And The ISPs are supposed to pay all the costs of doing so. Netflix won't charge them to peer "for now" but not guarantee about later. As a reward, ISPs can increase the traffic on their last mile. Verizon has no reason to do this.

As I have said before, my ISP can't do this even if they wanted to. They can't peer with Netflix. And they don't meet the requirements for getting the hardware appliance. Truly small ISPs are left in the cold and the big ones have no desire to connect. Not working out as well as Netflix had planned.

--
Most of what I know about computers.......I learned on Broadband Reports.