dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-01 08:56:59: CBS's Hopper screw up continues to bring bad news to the company, with no sign of enlightenment coming from company executives. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

Broken link on "in a statement"

n/t

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Works now (atleast for me).

Go CES, give the CBS a black eye!

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

2 recommendations

jseymour

From The "You're Just Figuring This Out?" Dept.

That CBS would influence its journalists comes as no surprise to anybody that's been watching what's happened to American journalism over the last few decades. This is just the latest, and most blatant, in a long line, a nearly continuous line, of compromises in journalistic integrity. In fact: The word "journalism" has become so tainted in American media so as to be a running joke.

I have an ex-girlfriend that was a Journalism major and was once a journalist. She got out of it years and years ago, when she saw where it was headed. She is so embarrassed by what has become of the field she once loved that she tends to avoid mentioning it to people.

Journalists such as Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite must be spinning in their graves

Jim
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned)

And the final nail in the coffin for CNET

Now that CES has ditched CNET (and CBS), you can kiss CNET goodbye as CBS will try and unload itself of what it thinks is the issue (CNET made a bad decision.) Problem is CBS made the decision for CNET and CNET will pay the price while CBS continues on and makes the same mistakes over and over again.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Any more fallout at CNET?

Does anyone know if there's been any more fallout at CNET, such as more writers leaving or a downturn in site visits? I guess I could go there to see who's writing the articles, but I refuse to visit them and add even one digit to their visitor count.

Even if no one besides Greg Sandoval has left, I have to think that resumes are being shopped around or at least updated.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Does this surpise you? Rememebr Dan Rather?

Does anyone care to remember why Dan Rather was fired left CBS news?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

CBS

This is hardly a concern for CBS. People will forget about it in a matter of a year or so. They always do.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

2 recommendations

elray

"known for its high journalistic standards"

You can't make this stuff up.

Oh wait, they do.
Kirby Smith
join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith to silbaco

to silbaco

Re: CBS

Perhaps some or most do; I remember their reporting on the Tet Offensive.

kirby

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

1 recommendation

DataDoc to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour

Re: From The "You're Just Figuring This Out?" Dept.

The MSM has become a fifth column.

And "Uncle Walter" wouldn't be so uncomfortable as you might think.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman

Premium Member

It's a start

They should threaten to ban CNET from CES if CBS isn't willing to drop that restriction and promise they will permit CNET to provide unbiased reviews.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Heh..

“As the No. 1 tech news and reviews site in the world, CNET is committed to delivering in-depth coverage of consumer electronics. We look forward to covering CES and the latest developments from the show as we have for well over a decade."

Not if you keep producing bias reports like this. Being No.1 now doesn't mean squat if you're No. 20 next year.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

CBS / CNet cannot be trusted ever again

quote:
"CBS ... will never be viewed again as pristine," wrote Shapiro. "The ethical media rule is that corporate business interests should never interfere in journalism—or at least not so blatantly, publicly, and harmfully. It made me wonder if 60 Minutes had ever suffered the same treatment."
They have ... at the hands of CBS Corporate.
quote:
And both CBS and Wallace were sharply criticized when an interview Wallace had conducted with Jeffrey Wigand—a former big tobacco executive—was killed in what was widely seen as a cave-in to corporate pressure. (The events became the basis for the movie The Insider.) »gawker.com/mike-wallace/
Seems like CBS makes a habit of interfering in the reporting of news and cannot be trusted to be unbiased.

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

That was called "Tortuous Interference" on CBS corporates part. Again we are seeing it again at CBS. I personally don't watch CBS any more and gave up CNET a few years back due to there biased reviews.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Get My News From FOX and BBR

I get my news from FOX and BBR. No ABC, no CBS, no NBC, no PBS (OPB).

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Don't think I could blame them

I don't think that I could blame them. Auto ad skipping, if it goes mainstream everywhere could spell the death of the industry. Either that or the retrans disputes will definitely get turned up 1000 degrees. It's nice to have ad free TV but the reality is that TV production and programming is expensive and someone has to pay for it. This right now is the advertiser. If they know their ads don't have a chance of being watched they're going to go somewhere else to advertise.

But I do agree that journalistic standards should not have a conflict of interest. CBS/CNET is clearly in the wrong here.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

I agree that someone has to pay for it and I don't think by having one device that would limit or remove ads would change alot. Its about time the TV viewers had something to limit or remove the ads. I'm so sick of the crappy ads over the years, making people out to be like total complete idiots to make it look like there product would help. I really hope that DISH will give the viewers the ability to limit and remove them. LET THE VIEWER have some control. And it would be nice to have HW that keeps the sound levels ALL at the SAME levels. I still hate it when I'm watching a show and it cuts to an ad and the sound comes blaring out of the speakers during the ad. What they think that will make me buy something more? NOT! Ya it gets my attention, gets me to either mute the sound or change channels. I wish they would change that crap too.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to NOYB

to NOYB

Re: Get My News From FOX and BBR

said by NOYB:

I get my news from FOX and BBR. No ABC, no CBS, no NBC, no PBS (OPB).

FOX... There is a contradiction in terms. They are worse.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to silbaco

to silbaco

It depends. What may hurt CNET more is a damaged relationship with tech companies. You can believe the news of CNET getting booted from CES has made the rounds in these companies. Now, would these companies be as eager to work with CNET, knowing that, on a whim, CBS can erase anything that CNET has to say about them? Under these circumstances, if you work at one of these companies, and you have missed calls from a CNET reporter and a reporter from a site with not so tarnished a reputation, whose call will you return first?

What you may end up with is a degradation of CNET's relationship with the manufacturers, which will lead to a degradation in the quality of what goes on their site. Sooner or later, that will catch up with them.
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop to battleop

to battleop

Re: Does this surpise you? Rememebr Dan Rather?

Didn't Mr. Blather try to pass off, as real, some fake documents on the evening news? I beleive that he did.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to BimmerE38FN

Premium Member

to BimmerE38FN

Re: Don't think I could blame them

said by BimmerE38FN:

... it would be nice to have HW that keeps the sound levels ALL at the SAME levels. I still hate it when I'm watching a show and it cuts to an ad and the sound comes blaring out of the speakers during the ad.

With the passage of the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act (CALM) into law on on December 15, 2010, networks who are still practicing or allowing this are now breaking the law.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ··· tion_Act

The FCC is charged with enforcing this law, so file a complaint if you are experiencing this.
»www.fcc.gov/guides/progr ··· mercials

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Awesome, thank you sir.
BimmerE38FN

BimmerE38FN to newview

to newview
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to NOYB

to NOYB

Re: Get My News From FOX and BBR

I'll take my news from CBC.
ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX = all corporate slanted (liberal/republican)
PBS = US gov't agenda
CBC = outside view.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

1 edit

PapaMidnight to silbaco

to silbaco

said by silbaco:

This is hardly a concern for CBS. People will forget about it in a matter of a year or so. They always do.

Jeff Gerstmann never forgets.
Until CBS bought out GiantBomb.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to BimmerE38FN

Premium Member

to BimmerE38FN

Re: CBS / CNet cannot be trusted ever again

I have't watched CBS in years.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Best advertising for DISH EVER

DISH and Ergen must be loving it. There is so much talk about this thing now!

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13

Welcome to the 21st century....

Journalists.....LOL.....making lawyers everywhere look like the good guys.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Austinloop

to Austinloop

Re: Does this surpise you? Rememebr Dan Rather?

It was fake documents related to George W Bush's military service just before the 2004 elections.
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop

I know, I just didn't want to stir up a political thing.
page: 1 · 2 · next