dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-04 08:13:56: Comcast Speed changes we leaked last summer continue to slowly make their way to Comcast customers. According to users in our forums, customers in numerous markets say Comcast is boosting their 16 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up tier to 20 Mbps down, 4 Mbps up. ..

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Cox is doing the same thing

There is little need for PB with 50-150Mb tiers. But I appreciated it when speeds were below 25Mb. Most of my file grabs were things like updates which were typically less than 100MB and it was convenient to grab things just that much quicker. It also helped with media intensive pages or video buffering.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

I've Still Got Powerboost, Plus...

Just ran shaperprobe. It looks like I still have Powerboost

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 5816 Kbps.
Downstream: 33034 Kbps.

But they've apparently boosted my bandwidth, too:

Upstream: Burst size: 5196-5299 KB; Shaping rate: 3024 Kbps.
Downstream: Burst size: 9183-9764 KB; Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

Was originally 6/1, then it was 12/2. Now it's 17/3.

Come to think of it: The Powerboost numbers are higher than last time I checked, too. Used to be around 25-27 down, IIRC, and no more than 5 up.

Jim

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Re: I've Still Got Powerboost, Plus...

It's definitely still working here in Mendocino County in Northwestern California-

We're on the Blast! Tier, 25/4.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

Hmm ...
Comcast says -

speedtest says

I think my initial contract was for 6/1. I'm on Comcast business. I'm still paying $59.95 per month with no sales tax.

Overall it's been amazingly good.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

That's good, we pay $74.95 a month for Blast!. It would be $64.95 a month, but they ding us 10 a month for not having their cable tv, we have Directv for that. When it was Adelphia here, they charged us the same price regardless of whether we had their cable tv or not.

Bugger
@mycingular.net

Bugger

Anon

Economy

Wonder if Comcast will also increase the speed of their economy tiers. Those never had PowerBoost.

Also wonder if other MSOs will follow suit (TWC we're looking at you)

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

It did it's job...

PB is still working here.
I have to agree it met a need when speeds were low, but becomes less desirable/necessary with current and upcoming higher speeds (and messes up some QoS functions in streaming)
I wouldn't expect much increase the lifeline (free lunch) speeds and little if any on the economy tier, the idea isn't to make those a base/standard/starter tier, just to provide really basic service on a temporary basis for subs who can't afford anything else.

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

1 recommendation

pclover

Wont upgrade my area.

I have had NO speed increases or no options for faster speed since 2008.

Comcast cares basically said they don't want to spend the money in my area to upgrade the system.

microface
@intel.com

microface

Anon

Re: Wont upgrade my area.

TRy to Get Google Fiber, or some other Competitor for ComCast, and all of a sudden the situation will change

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

Now everyone online

Now that everyone is online watching movies or playing games lets see how slow the Cable based Internet really is.
Cable has a limit on how many can do things at one time...

We will be waiting for the loss of TV channels to add more broadband.

It will cost you the consumer more in the long run!
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Re: Now everyone online

said by Yucca Servic:

We will be waiting for the loss of TV channels to add more broadband.

They should be using SDV by now anyway. Removing channels won't gain anything.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

still seeing it.

slightly slower download powerboost, but significantly better upload powerboost.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

2 recommendations

Packeteers

Premium Member

a DOCSIS2 vision fulfilled

wow, a cable company affordably provides us with the full 30/5 speed potential of a 10 year old standard, and we all jump for joy the FCC should be ashamed of itself for enabling such a hobbled non competitive environment.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

Re: a DOCSIS2 vision fulfilled

I remember reading in PC Computing back in 1995 that within a couple of years we would have cable modems providing 30 mbps.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

Powerboost

I'm pretty sure PB only applies now to lower speed tiers. I'm on Blast (50/10) and don't have it. When I was on the lower speed tier (16/2 at the time) I did have it.

As speeds increase, at some point PB (20% increase for 10 seconds) becomes irrelevant (not to mention impossible for the highest tier).

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Re: Powerboost

said by Morac:

I'm pretty sure PB only applies now to lower speed tiers. I'm on Blast (50/10) and don't have it. When I was on the lower speed tier (16/2 at the time) I did have it.

As speeds increase, at some point PB (20% increase for 10 seconds) becomes irrelevant (not to mention impossible for the highest tier).

I would've been interested to see PB reflect the next tier up/fastest tier available. Have 16/2 on a D3 system and pulling down 105 for the short time would've been cool.

For those that have it, like me, I wonder how long PB will remain? Until I get the 50/15 upgrade?

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50

Premium Member

Please, please Comcast take my powerboost, just give me a speed increase.

Please realize that non-northeast users are paying customers too.
Although there's no FIOS here, we do have other options. I have U-verse and WOW to choose from. They may not have the higher speeds either, but I would get a new customer discount.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Morac

to Morac
said by Morac:

I've always had PB on the Blast tier. Still do on the download as of a few hours ago.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by 67845017:

I've always had PB on the Blast tier. Still do on the download as of a few hours ago.

But is your Blast tier 50/10 or the lower 25/4? I had PB on Blast until it changed to 50/10.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I've had 50/10(15) for the last few years.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to Morac

to Morac
You don't get powerboost with the economy tiers. I think it starts at the performance tier.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Noticed this on business class

When they bumped us on business class from 22/5 to 27/7, the powerboost went from uncapped to capped. I suppose eliminating it entirely is the next step, though I'm not sure why they didn't just eliminate it when going to the 27/7 speeds if that was their plan.
Papageno
join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Papageno

Anyone checked Portland OR, yet?

I'll give it a looksee myself when I get home.

Anon24175
@comcast.net

Anon24175

Anon

Re: Anyone checked Portland OR, yet?

Looks like it! Just checked after seeing this news article. Thank god PB is done for. It just threw off speedtests and constantly would mislead me without any real benefit.

16/2 prior

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 0116.png

Today

Vancouver, WA to a long distance maintained it solid.
Papageno
join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Papageno

Re: Anyone checked Portland OR, yet?

Boo, no change for me. 16/2 per Shaperprobe.exe

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

3 edits

Scatcatpdx to Papageno

to Papageno
I live in the Tualatin Valley service area ,near Hillsboro Oregon.

»testmy.net/download
I average 23 Mbps using 100 MB test

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....
join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

Augustus III

no change

25.5/4.3 business.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb

In Chicago

On Biz class at our shop Speedtest consistently shows 20/4, Shaperprobe is 17/3 without PB. So we still have it but nowhere near what it used to be. Used to see something like 25-35 down and 5-7 up (10-30 up when they first turned on upstream bonding) w PB back before when it was 12/2
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Groton, CT

As usual is the last to get ANYTHING. We're stuck on 25/4 with Blast!

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Powerboost

Never have figured out that logic of Powerboost anyway. I mean, what the heck, if you can give me that speed for a few seconds, just make it full time. What good does a few seconds of cranking it do when it comes to downloading a Linux ISO or something similar?

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

cork, uploading pictures and stuff it's helpful.
May help load super heavy web pages quicker, like if a thread on a forum has a bunch of screenshots.

also what's the point of the 25/4 tier from comcast now? That's what I'm on.
Seeley
join:2009-01-31
Eatontown, NJ

Seeley

No increase here on the Economy plan

I just rebooted my modem/router/devices. I didn't see any increase in speed. I have the Economy internet plan. Same old 3mbps/768kbps which in reality comes to about a max of 400kbps download speed.

Maybe they're only increasing speeds to the customers who have (and can afford) faster plans. Makes no sense, if it's true.