spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-04 08:19:54: As leaks had suggested, Verizon has taken the wraps off of some rather underwhelming new prepaid pricing, and is clearly converting the company's existing 3G, EVDO network into prepaid only. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Bugger

@mycingular.net

Verizon's Roles

Roles vs Rolls

Prepaid plans are good for secondary devices like tablets when one travels. Tethering with cell phone seems to be a pain, unreliable and slow.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

no prepaid on lte?

why not? why not let prepaid customers use the lte network?

podstolom

join:2010-01-25
Wichita, KS

1 recommendation

Because LTE is verizon's PREMIUM network, so they don't want the prepaid demographic on it, since that demographic is often "credit-challenged." This way, their 3G network remains "monetized" (I hate that word) during the transition to LTE, since that network is already paid for and entails less risk by offering it as prepaid.

By 2021 the 3G spectrum is supposed to be refarmed to LTE or whatever else is in place by then.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

That's precisely the assumption that allows these monopolistic carriers to get away with their rip-off pricing. That is, anyone who does not want to basically pay $90+ per month ($1.1K per year + handset every 2 years) is apparently "credit-challenged".

I could be worth $100 million yet I would still not pay $90+ for some shitty half-baked North American cell service. The pricing only serves to enrich the shareholders and c-level management, while they pay their workers peanuts and hire fools to provide useless CS.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

Verizon believes that prepaid subs are second-class citizens, and treats them as such.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

Too Expensive.

Drop the prepaid down to $50 unlimited talk, text and 2GB limit a month.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
reply to podstolom

Re: no prepaid on lte?

said by podstolom:

Because LTE is verizon's PREMIUM network, so they don't want the prepaid demographic on it, since that demographic is often "credit-challenged." This way, their 3G network remains "monetized" (I hate that word) during the transition to LTE, since that network is already paid for and entails less risk by offering it as prepaid.

By 2021 the 3G spectrum is supposed to be refarmed to LTE or whatever else is in place by then.

Too bad the prepaid prices are nearly that of their premium ones..

Seriously, cell companies have just gotten too damn greedy... I'm a step from just saying "screw it" an going back to a plain ol trek phone. If they decide to destroy that to force us to their more profitable plans, I think i'll just go amish on the phone world...

anonanon

@comcast.net

should move to RUIM for all phones

i would like to see verizon prepaid become a RUIM(CDMA sim card) product that can be used in any verizon phone with a SIM slot even if only 3G and LTE turned off. this would allow for easy phone swapping. of course i would also like to se the RUIM's offered by verizon MVNO's such as pageplus.

if verizon wants their net10, straighttalk flavors to compete against at&t and t-mobile versions this would be the necessary first step. because of network reliability and much larger and cheaper selection of high end used phones verizon MVNO could easily charge a premium price over those using at&t or t-mobile but a switch to RUIM is a must.

creditworthy

@cox.net
reply to podstolom

Among my circles of friends who are by no means credit challenged, most have figured out that I was the smart one years ago when I dumped Verizon and went with prepaid with another carrier. So I know lots of wealthy people who have done the math like I did years ago and figured they were getting soaked for a phone... Every time someone I know mentions how they are getting shafted I tell them what I did and what I spend and they are following in my footsteps.

I spend on average less than $10 per month with prepaid. When I travel I swap my SIM over to my Android and pay $2-3 per day to have unlimited voice, text and more data than my handset can eat in one day for the mobile apps I might want to use since I am away from home and a PC.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to decifal

said by decifal:

Seriously, cell companies have just gotten too damn greedy... I'm a step from just saying "screw it" an going back to a plain ol trek phone. If they decide to destroy that to force us to their more profitable plans, I think i'll just go amish on the phone world...

I'm giving this serious consideration as well. I just can't bring myself to pay $199 or $299 for a PHONE. Esp. after the crap I went through with my Thunderbolt and now this almost-as-crappy Razr.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

said by ArrayList:

Verizon believes that prepaid subs are second-class citizens, and treats them as such.

Exactly! That's why the prepaids have such poor coverage.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Prepaid only?

said by Karl :
clearly converting the company's existing 3G, EVDO network into prepaid only
Do you really mean to say that people with 3G phones will be forced to prepaid accounts?
Or do you mean that prepaid customers will be restricted to 3G?

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to bobjohnson

I love that mentality. It reaffirms my believe that when they're busy trying to rub you the wrong way, the shaken feathers are actually falling off their scalp and not mine.

I've been a happy prepaid customer since November. People are stupid for still doing contracts.

viperlmw
Premium
join:2005-01-25

EVDO vs LTE

A benefit of the LTE rollout in my area is that the existing 3G towers finally have fiber and got off of the copper. As they never had enough bandwidth (not enough T-1s to the sites), EVDO was much slower than it should have been. Now that the fiber is turned up (Gig-E?), the 3g stuff SCREAMS! As I and my kid are both heavy users (between 2-4 gig each per month), I am going to stay on my granfathered unlimited 3g family plan as long as possible. My Droid2 (R2-D2) and my kids Iphone 4s are AWESOME now, and still work great, so I am comfy where I am at, and will stay 3g until they boot me off.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to decifal

said by decifal:

I'm a step from just saying "screw it" an going back to a plain ol trek phone.

Already there. We switched to Straight Talk last year and never looked back. Their ST SIM card is definitely worth it.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Bugger

Re: Verizon's Roles

Wouldn't say that. My SIII, tethered, has hit 30+ Mbps down and 10+ Mbps up. Granted, it's Sprint, but VZW phones now give tethering away for "free" (counts against your data allotment).

Five years ago, tethering was more difficult. Now? not so much.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to podstolom

What's funny is that, thanks to the iPad, you can still get LTE on prepaid. I wouldn't dream of signing a contract for $80+ per month with VZW, but I do like me some LTE.

My guess is that VZW will open up LTE to prepaid once they get AWS online. Right now they're having spectrum issues with LTE in some areas...apparently building a coverage-focused network when you should be building for capacity is a bad idea.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

said by iansltx:

apparently building a coverage-focused network when you should be building for capacity is a bad idea.

Why? It works great for (some) ISP's. You might have the best coverage but if the speeds are the same as (at times) 2G, what's the point?

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to nonamesleft

You can get VZW prepaid via Page Plus Cellular. You just don't get...you guessed it...LTE access.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to brianiscool

Re: Too Expensive.

Why? Then, they'd be cheaper than T-Mobile.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

said by ArrayList:

Um, news-flash: prepaid customers are second-class citizens. Not only are we treated as such, but the American public likes it that way.

Those who are able, willing, or gullible enough to spend $120+/month on a "smart" phone plan on a what they perceive as the premier carrier, and commit to a 2-year contract, indeed are the most sought-after customers, so they're going to get the top tier service.

tphillips
Premium
join:2009-02-04
Apopka, FL
reply to Simba7

Ditto here. I moved to Virgin"Sprint" from Sprint and am loving the extra cash. I just could't do it anymore. My bill with my wife and three kids was pushing close to $300 per month. Now its $120 flat.

tlylework

@steadfastdns.net
reply to viperlmw

Re: EVDO vs LTE

Heck I just may buy my phone off contract, and just wi-fi everything. I hardly use my phone as a phone anymore, and more like a hand held computer, and 90% of the time on Wi-Fi.

With Google voice, phone and messaging is easy over wi-fi. No need to pay extra.

Ammler
Premium
join:2005-04-19
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Bob4

Re: Prepaid only?

This means that eventually Verizon will not be offering 3G phones to the Post Paid subs.

Only phones offered will be LTE phones to these folks.

But if you want to go Pre Paid, then you only get to choose 3G phones only.

Have you ever seen the phones offered on their Pre Paid Plans? They suck!

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

They don't offer 3G-only phones to post-paid, except perhaps for some old iPhones they still have in inventory, and they are practically giving those away.

Karl's summary is misleading, LTE customers will always have the ability to fall back to the 3G network, until such time as it is turned off. There is no reason for Verizon to artificially restrict people to the LTE network, even after it achieves 100% coverage.

Post-paid people were allowed to force their phones (or drop back automatically) to the AMPS network until the FCC allowed Verizon to shut it down.

HotRodFoto
Premium
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO
reply to tphillips

Virgin here as well, love it! It's literally 1/3 of what I was paying.
--
Capturing the images of Colorado
»jdebordphoto.com

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to Simba7

Building for a cell radius of five miles...heck, three miles...in an area where nearly every point in that radius is developed is a recipe for disaster even for 10x10 LTE. Guess what Verizon has done, to my knowledge...

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

Contract

Does anyone know if they can force you onto one of these plans when your contract expires? Are all the people with unlimited plans going to be forced into something they don't want?

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
reply to ArrayList

Our biggest hangup on the prepaid is the lack of hotspot/tethering available with it... I am dual purposing my phone subscription being we have no real land line options here... Less theres a reasonable prepaid where tethering/hotspot is available??

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to iansltx

I used Page Plus for the past year. Unlimited talk and text with 2GB of data for $55. Same Verizon coverage, was really happy. But I couldn't use any new phones. I picked up a used GS3 and now use LTE. I have to admit, it is worth the monthly premium. It costs $150 for two lines with unlimited talk and text along with 4GB of shared data. Sadly having the GS3 and Verizon's LTE is worth $20 extra per phone, as compared to Page Plus. If you compare it to Verizon's prepaid plans it is about the same.

My Droid Incredible 2 was a great phone but the GS3 spanks it six ways to Sunday.