spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-05 10:45:02: Indicating that CBS executives learned nothing from their decision to meddle in CNET editorial policies to prevent Dish's Hopper ad-skipping DVR from winning a CES award, CBS is now under fire for banning an ad that they falsely believed threatened b.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

PR Pros

Don't companies the size of CBS have PR pros they pay a lot of money to, intelligent human beings who could have let them know transparency is envied in 2013?

It will now be forever impossible for me to respect any journalist working at CNET or attribute any gravitas to any words coming out of the CBS network.

Not like anybody reads CNET anyway

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

1 recommendation

Trademark issues?

I'm wondering if there might have been any particular validity to this particular rejection, or rather Coke/Pepsi being upset simply because of trademark issues given both their trademarks were used prominently in the spot.

I'm pretty sure that neither Coke nor Pepsi would have authorized SodaStream to use their logos.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

They can pick and choose whatever they want

It's their business. And I'll pick and choose what ads I skip. Thanks TiVo!

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Soda v. Pop

Soda Stream has been trumpeting the "banned ad" for several months, especially on their FB page. It's pretty clever.

Disclaimer: I have a Soda Stream (their product doesn't add phosphorous and I'm sick of lugging cans & bottles, especially with Michigan's $.10 deposit) and have a lot of fun with it.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany

1 recommendation

reply to skeechan

Re: They can pick and choose whatever they want

Yep, I don't see the problem with CBS not airing specific advertising. It is their prerogative on how to run the business and enjoy the financial implications of their decisions.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to ShellMMG

Re: Soda v. Pop

Soda is bad for you.

You're free to drink it of course but I stopped putting that poison in my body for a long time now.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to TigerLord

Re: PR Pros

We are no longer in the days of Clarence Darrow. These media conglomerates are all about towing the corporate line, and the mainstream news is left of anarchists. There is no hint of unbiased reporting anymore. Even the CBS commentators were biased toward San Francisco the entire game. It was disgusting to listen to.

Nothing has changed in the last 50 years. This has been going on in secret, it's just now that social media and the internet (which they would love to snuff out) it simply outing the behavior that has been going on. You can read how GE was censoring Reagan back in the days when he was a spokesman for them.

When a company gets too big, it gets smug and collapses on itself. This is the way, unless government intervenes and disturbs the natural death. More than ever the internet is enabling new companies to spring up and create new ways. The only blockage to that is the government and their regulations or lobbyists.

News Flash: This is nothing new.
News Flash: CBS is a private company. They can do or present whatever they want. Nobody in there right mind thinks reporting or the news is actually unbiased. Its all a show to get advertising dollars, nothing more.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to openbox9

Exactly... but anything the TV industry does that lets them make more profit or protect their profit is automatically evil.

They should all offer everything commercial free for $5 a month.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to fifty nine

I stopped drinking commercial soft drinks (mostly) last May. The phosphorous, according to my spinal fusion surgeon, causes bone loss and calcium malabsorption. From what I've read, phosphorous is used to preserve the shelf life of the fizz. SS also makes "natural" syrups and you can use juice concentrates. If you're an addict like I am, it's a big improvement.

elefante72

East Amherst, NY
reply to fifty nine
High Fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners are bad for you. As you get older you need more acid in your stomach, so soda is actually good for your stomach.

I get these naturally flavored no calorie ones from Wegmans, 0 calorie that are awesome.

The problem w/ Sodastream is that they use a Gillette model. Sell the machine and mark up C02 and syrup bigtime (10-20x normal prices). So it's useless until the prices come down IMHO.

The only reason Coke and Pepsi can't do this is because they are beholden to their bottlers and distribution channel. The actual cost to make the soda is in the pennies. If it were to cost $.25 for a 2L people would be REAL fat....

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
reply to fifty nine
Umm, ok. Yet I'm sure you continue to put other poisons in your body. Just about everything we eat these days is "poison" in some way.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to fifty nine

Then it would be $6, then $7, then $10...and then they would start putting commercials back in and in 5 years we'll be back to the same 18min/hr plus $20/mo.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to openbox9
said by openbox9:

Yep, I don't see the problem with CBS not airing specific advertising. It is their prerogative on how to run the business and enjoy the financial implications of their decisions.

I agree. I am sure CBS will carry Sodastream ads - just not on the SuperBowl when the ad mocks their biggest advertisers.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

"Shocked?" Really?

From the Forbes article:
quote:
I am shocked that CBS would ban a spot for being too competitive. But I’m even more shocked that the advertising world isn’t up in arms about it.

Where have you been all these years the dominant "news" media has been meddling with the "news" the public sees and hears? It goes on even today. Where's the outrage? You're concerned about an advert for a soft drink product, but nary a whisper about how the public, and, thus, law are swayed by the same people?

Seems you have your priorities just a bit wrong, to me.

Jim

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

The only reason Coke and Pepsi can't do this is because they are beholden to their bottlers and distribution channel. The actual cost to make the soda is in the pennies. If it were to cost $.25 for a 2L people would be REAL fat....

You can buy Coke & Pepsi syrup for home soda making systems. A friend of mine has had one for years. It delivers carbonated soda to a spout on his sink just like it does in a bar.

»www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_n_0?r···60080840
»www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_···60081129
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

High Fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners are bad for you. As you get older you need more acid in your stomach, so soda is actually good for your stomach.

I'm not even sure this comment needs a retort.

I'll just say gastic acids are not the same. You may as well suggest drinking battery acid.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH5

What is Coke and Pepsi going to do? Stop advertising on America's most popular network that has 8 of the 10 highest rates shows?.

Sure, they could leave, and not be seen by anyone, at least until The Walking Dead is back on the air in first run.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to ShellMMG

After reading about the product I was considering buying one. I saw the price of $80 and it's _very_ costly. But then I saw the cost of the CO2 chargers... $30 each! Refills were about half that but I'm worried that stores will simply stop doing refills (a complaint on the Target website was that this person's Target no longer does refills).

I'd guess it would take about 120 store bought bottles to break even on SodaStream. If you buy one bottle a week, that is about 2 years before you break even. I'm not really crunching the numbers but I'd say that is close. Anyone going to use this each and every week for 2 years?

At the price SodaStream charges, they should be able to afford a few Super Bowl ads.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to tcope
said by tcope:

said by elefante72:

I'm not even sure this comment needs a retort.

I'll just say gastic acids are not the same. You may as well suggest drinking battery acid.

Agree with not needing sugar-laden (whether HF Cornsyrup or sugar) or diet (processed synthetic sweeteners).

Phosphoric acid is not good for you (teeth, bones, muscle degradation). Your stomach produces hydrochloric not phosphoric. Besides, as you get older, you tend to have more reflux (esophagus issues) and need to reduce acidity (likely from soda, caffeine and tomato paste/sauces). There are other reasons but I am not qualified.
--
Splat

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Chuck_IV
said by Chuck_IV:

Umm, ok. Yet I'm sure you continue to put other poisons in your body. Just about everything we eat these days is "poison" in some way.

Nope I stopped putting a lot of the other stuff too. I can't stop putting everything but I can sure as hell try. The biggest thing is the high fructose corn syrup. It is making people obese and causing all sorts of problems. Only in America.

elefante72

East Amherst, NY
reply to tcope
Well the acid delivered in soda is carbonic acid which is mildly ionized and hence a KPh in the 6's. Phosphoric acid is added to most sodas (it's actually more acidic) as both for it's "acid" bite and as a bacteriostat preservative. It has been suggested that phosphoric acid consumption is a cause for osteoporosis, but really hasn't been proven. I would suggest looking up MK-7 more.

The main loss in acid as you age can cause atrophic gastritis which is a reduction in HCL in your stomach ecosystem.

Most people don't even know that the main cause of reflux/GERD etc is usually due to LOW stomach acid. The antacids/PPI, etc reduce the acid in the upper GI tract which causes discomfort.

As a matter of fact when this was originally sold, it was sold as a digestive, so here is a possible retort.

Also battery acid "sulfuric acid" is a diprotic acid, where HCL (in stomach) is a monoprotic acid. The way they react to H2O are very different (esp in your stomach).

Common treatments are cider vinegar, unbuffered ascorbic acid (C), or beet root (Betaine HCL), which are increasing in irritability and acid levels.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to SunnyD

Re: Trademark issues?

They dont need to.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

Well the acid delivered in soda is carbonic acid which is mildly ionized and hence a KPh in the 6's. Phosphoric acid is added to most sodas (it's actually more acidic) as both for it's "acid" bite and as a bacteriostat preservative. It has been suggested that phosphoric acid consumption is a cause for osteoporosis, but really hasn't been proven. I would suggest looking up MK-7 more.

The main loss in acid as you age can cause atrophic gastritis which is a reduction in HCL in your stomach ecosystem.

Most people don't even know that the main cause of reflux/GERD etc is usually due to LOW stomach acid. The antacids/PPI, etc reduce the acid in the upper GI tract which causes discomfort.

As a matter of fact when this was originally sold, it was sold as a digestive, so here is a possible retort.

Also battery acid "sulfuric acid" is a diprotic acid, where HCL (in stomach) is a monoprotic acid. The way they react to H2O are very different (esp in your stomach).

Common treatments are cider vinegar, unbuffered ascorbic acid (C), or beet root (Betaine HCL), which are increasing in irritability and acid levels.

What we do with Wikipedia.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
reply to FFH5
Hey thanks for the link bud. I do like Soda competition.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by Chuck_IV:

Nope I stopped putting a lot of the other stuff too. I can't stop putting everything but I can sure as hell try. The biggest thing is the high fructose corn syrup. It is making people obese and causing all sorts of problems. Only in America.

no its not, its the people who down 12 cans a day of pepsi.
--
I'm better than you!

FFH5
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to Eddy120876
said by Eddy120876:

Hey thanks for the link bud. I do like Soda competition.

The system my friend has is similar to this:
»www.amazon.com/3-Flavor-Fountain···I3G2520C

He didn't do it to save money; he just liked the ability to dispense sodas in his kitchen when entertaining people at his house.
--

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY
Hey I call that a thing of beauty . No more having to open the fridge and take time going "ummm pepsi or coke" instead just go "I'm having this one now"

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY
reply to SunnyD

Hey you might be onto something there. Since every company is very protective of their logo,materials,goods and good name. So had soda stream used a generic logo then i guess CBS wouldn't have a problem.

praetoralpha

join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to elefante72

Re: PR Pros

said by elefante72:

News Flash: CBS is a private company. They can do or present whatever they want. Nobody in there right mind thinks reporting or the news is actually unbiased. Its all a show to get advertising dollars, nothing more.

Wrong. CBS is a publicly held corporation with listed stock. They are beholden to a shadowy cabal of investors like most big companies today. »www.google.com/finance?cid=608138

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to SunnyD

Since Coke and Pepsi do not sue each other over the same thing then they probably don't have a way to sue anyone else.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.