dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-06 18:13:28: Microsoft has struck a deal with Verizon and RedBox to ensure that the Xbox 360 will be the exclusive streaming game console for the companies' upcoming streaming video service launch -- at least for a short while. ..

Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

Stupid...

Verizon/Redbox is doing it wrong. they want their service available on as many devices as possible. This goes against the whole business model.

Let's see... a Household has an xbox and a ps3, he wants to use the service he already pays for on both his devices. Netflix offers that ability, but Redbox doesn't. i wonder who he'll pick...

Lloyde
@bellsouth.net

Lloyde

Anon

Tired

I'm tired of Microsoft and their exclusive deals.
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

BlueC to Kamus

to Kamus

Re: Stupid...

Especially when you factor in how much content Netflix has these days. Any new service will need some time to build up a selection.

For a $2/mo difference, it'd be really hard to justify Redbox over Netflix.

Redbox will be Hulu Jr.

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

stet

Limited

It will only be 720p with probably 2.0 sound.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Lloyde

to Lloyde

Re: Tired

They have to get a monopoly some how, this is all they can really do since the pc market has osx(as well as apple tablets/smartphones) and linux(yes I'm counting android) growing.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to BlueC

News Guy

to BlueC

Yeah to succeed I'd have to think Verizon would have to be relentless in the pursuit of new content and features, but operating a traditional TV operation in FiOS TV, they won't be.

So yeah, a glorified ad for cable TV like Hulu is, essentially.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Kamus

to Kamus
said by Kamus:

Verizon/Redbox is doing it wrong. they want their service available on as many devices as possible. This goes against the whole business model.

Let's see... a Household has an xbox and a ps3, he wants to use the service he already pays for on both his devices. Netflix offers that ability, but Redbox doesn't. i wonder who he'll pick...

and retards by consoles no offesne why the frack buy one when i can do way more with a pc and even upgrade the graphics card(s)

i can even put linux on it.....
haha

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

Dead

before it starts.
corinthos
join:2007-10-09

1 recommendation

corinthos to Lloyde

to Lloyde

Same. I don't give two craps about these non gaming apps either. I'd much rather have that free 1 vs 100 game they cancelled back than some stupid apps to watch videos.

whiteshp
join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH

whiteshp to Lloyde

to Lloyde
Exclusive deals are the way of the future sad but true. Business see monopolies as goldmines where they can force rather than serve the consumer.

At least we have Netflix and their SMART idea to get content from the BBC protects them some from US content providers who thought if they pulled their content Netflix would die. They thought they had the only content to be shown in the US. Now if US providers withhold content they risk Netflix buying more BBC content rather than just starving to death and US content providers lose that revenue.

If only Netflix could/would release a Linux app. I would be forever happy. Forever=2 hours I think....
JBT
Premium Member
join:2002-12-06
Odessa, FL

JBT

Premium Member

Well this sucks

I was in the beta. It was nice to run down to have streaming on my computer and the ability to run down to the Redbox if I wanted to watch something newer. Unfortunately I have a PS3 and that's it. Not having this on the PS3 is going to lead me to cancel as I already have Netflix. Also I have Amazon Prime which is also available on the PS3...

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

the problem with the xbox is

you have to pay on top of your subscription fee for Red box to Ms so you can get xbox live. so theres no saving theres .

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Lloyde

Premium Member

to Lloyde

I'm to tired of Microsoft and their exclusive deals.

WhyBother
@qwest.net

WhyBother to JBT

Anon

to JBT

Re: Well this sucks

I was in the Beta for about 3 min, just long enough to check out the content or Lack there Of, and never botherd going back. Not even worth it for free. Between Netflix Stream & DVD, Amazon Prime, Amazon VOD, iTunes VOD and with some OTA HTPC'd DVR content that I can stream to two Xbox360's and a Roku Box (Plex) I have no need of another service that offers less than Hulu.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0

SONY

rumor has it ps4 will get netflix
OH NO redmond your doomed now
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0 to whiteshp

to whiteshp

there tons of good content world wide they should be trying to get as much of it as possible.
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV to Kamus

to Kamus

They are taking the Amazon route but are smart in getting paid to do so. Create a streaming service that people may want, but then drag your feet immensely at getting an app available on the various devices so people can get access to that service.

Difference here is Redbox is getting a large chunk of $$$ to hold back. If they are smart, the day that exclusivity ends, they will will have apps ready for just about every streamer under the sun, unlike Amazon, who STILL continues to drag their feet with regard to app availability on various devices.

Anony
@oar.net

Anony

Anon

Missing the obvious

Am I the only one that read unlimited streaming and (4) DVD's per month for $8.... this blows Netflix out of the water. Last I checked, Netflix is $16 per month if you want streaming AND DVD's. Granted, Netflix has a bigger steaming library but I'm sure Redbox will invest most of their MS cash infusion to build their library. I for one, like the average household with children, am too busy to watch more than 2-4 movies per month anyway so saving $8 per month compared to Netflix offsets the cost of Hulu to suppliment Netflix's unlimited DVD's and outdated streaming library.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to whiteshp

Premium Member

to whiteshp

said by whiteshp:

If only Netflix could/would release a Linux app. I would be forever happy. Forever=2 hours I think....

You can try »www.iheartubuntu.com/201 ··· app.html
JBT
Premium Member
join:2002-12-06
Odessa, FL

JBT

Premium Member

Received a notification this morning

I received a notification this morning this was live. But I don't have an XBOX 360 to use sooo... oh well I guess.

davegtestr
join:2001-11-07
Bothell, WA

1 edit

davegtestr to Nezmo

to Nezmo

Re: Dead

Agree. Dead on arrival. It must be a very temporary deal for Microsoft/Verizon. I'm surprised Redbox agreed to this. Note: I am a former Coinstar/Redbox contractor. There's Netflix streaming over many devices. VuDu has 720p/1080p streaming on many brands of Blu-Rays and TV's. Directv and DISH have 1080p streaming and whole home DVR's (traditional sub's). Plus Comcast and Direc have more VOD by far. Hopefully Verizon/Redbox gets a bunch of free Microsoft Xbox advertising tie-ins.