dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-07 12:31:32: It has been about half a decade now that I've been pointing out that most of the meters used by ISPs to track and bill consumers for usage aren't accurate. ..

prev · 1 · 2

KahunaNui
join:2000-05-01
Honolulu, HI

KahunaNui to areacode304

to areacode304

Re: Stupid

said by areacode304:

Seems as though you dressed up as an arrogant son of a bitch for Halloween and decided to keep the costume.

Mahalo areacode! That's one of the best ones i've heard for quite awhile... made my day!

As an aside and i'm not sure it wasn't already asked, but are *any* isps giving CREDIT for months when data usage was [way] under the cap? Kind of like Cingular wireless did for us long ago.

Curious
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to elefante72

to elefante72

Re: Time to regulate meters

at the user router does not count over head, ARP traffic, data resends, data being sent to your modem even when it is off.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to areacode304

to areacode304

No I dressed up as a troll and kept the costume. If you weren't a communist, you'd realize that.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Its not what we wish for, it is what the ISP wishes for.

I see no reason if an ISP wants to bill per kb or mb, that weight & measurements takes a role in confirming accurate measurements are happening.

Department of Agriculture, sure.. the ISP is charing me per bushel (MB) of data, can we please confirm the ISP is actually delivering a bushel (or MB).
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

Re: Do Overage Fees Affect Large Percentage?

Go back to my original post (the one to which you first replied) and review the threads it created. In one of them I provide a suggestion as to how automated meter testing could be accomplished.

FLATLINE
join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY

FLATLINE to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh

Metering in private for the use of maintaining your companies infrastructure and metering for the purpose of charging customers are two totally different things.

If your metering to monitor and maintain your network infrastructure who cares if its not 100% accurate. Really, what's a few gigs? You still get a good enough picture of what's going on and can make the proper adjustments or additions to resolve the issue.

But on the consumer end those kinds of innacuracies can have a much bigger impact. Its been proven only to serve to jack up the consumers bill further increasing the gap between what they charge and what it costs to provide the service.

But the real problem isn't metering in itself. If metering was actually implemented in a way that corresponds with the cost of the service and factoring a decent markup for profit then I'd say do it. Who cares if its 100% accurate or not. 90-95% would be good enough. But its not. Profit margins are already double and triple what you would be able to charge for any other service or product in some other market.

Bottom line is if metering was to be done properly and fairly then its reasonable to assume my bill could be cheaper then it is now some months if not all. But that will never happen. All metering amounts to is a lazy way for stupid executives to increase profits by seriously taking advantage of a market designed to be a low cost way to bring the worlds information and communications to the masses. Its pathetic what these companies have done and what we have allowed them to do with tool so important to the next step on the human races evolution.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero

Re: Funny

Yeah, but that can work both ways. A station owned by Comcast might love the opportunity to poke a stick in AT&T's eye, and the local reporter might not realize that Comcast is doing the same thing.

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098 to elefante72

to elefante72

Interesting factoid for the day: other random department within the department of agriculture (Ohio): Theme park safety and inspection. Makes sense, right?
areacode304
join:2006-08-26
WV

1 recommendation

areacode304 to Rakeesh

to Rakeesh

said by Rakeesh:

No I dressed up as a troll and kept the costume. If you weren't a communist, you'd realize that.

Every troll is a son of a bitch, but not every son of a bitch is a troll. Billy is the tallest boy in the class. Susie is the tallest girl. If Angie is taller than Billy but shorter than Susie, why is there a goat in the bathroom? Gotta go stand in line for bread - brb.
chuckkk
join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

And so what else is new? Give an inch, take a yard is the motto!

murph12
join:2003-12-30
Jackson, MI

murph12

theft....no other way to say. They steal.

theft....no other way to say. They steal.
Expand your moderator at work

whiteshp
join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH

whiteshp to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

This is really just an example of what is wrong with the very top of our government.

Honestly I think that political parties on the promise of dominant control of the most news media will push to make it illegal to compete with "any" deep pocket large monopoly incumbent. Incumbents will work under the table to set low caps for the majority of America for maximum profit and no regulation/competition. Controlled media will direct the rage of the unhappy directly back on the very people who would dare try and fix these issues as a unbreakable circle of corruption.

The democracy within our republic has been hijacked by a tidal wave of money that now feeds corruption passing laws to make it harder to ever try and stop corruption. My greatest fear is if they destroy access to independent media (they are working on it) to the majority public. There will be next to no way back to the Republic we once had.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

AT&T Wireless

Very inaccurate meter. It, too, is always in my favor. I tested my device for accuracy by pulling files of various sizes over wifi and 4G. Usage always roughly equalled file size(plus small protocol overhead). At the end of the month, AT&T is always anywhere between 100MB to 1GB below my measurements for a given month. I still set it to turn off 4G 200MB below my cap and keep month to month readings to cover my ass, though I never hit that shutoff. I been measuring for over a year now and AT&T almost always under reports by typically 300-500MB(outlying months were the 100MB to 1GB range I gave previously) . I don't care as long as they don't overcharge me, which my personal meter was setup to ensure.
prev · 1 · 2