dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-07 15:31:10: In late 2011 Skype co-founder Niklas Zennström announced FreedomPop, a new wireless carrier using the Clearwire network that is attempting to do something different by offering users 1 GB of free 4G data. ..

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876

I like Freedompops idea

Now if they could offer their service all over the tri state area they will win more people over.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Their site says they'll be on the sprint LTE network in 2013 (optimistic about sprint's build out, I guess) so it may have wider availability soon (er or later)
I can't see a reseller actually being cheaper in the long run, and offering bandwidth sharing service will probably add some fees.
Handy for those that NEED it, but probably not cheaper.
zefie
join:2007-07-18
Hudson, NY

zefie

Nice idea but..

What is 10, or even 50mB on 4G? A speed test? 1 load of Facebook without adblock?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

It MIGHT fit a special market.
The "home hub" comes with 1 gig free and plans up to 10 gig.
The person that only checks email, needs a temporary/semi-portable connection at a fixed location might prefer this to paying for an install of a hardline, or to have something when phone tethering isn't on budget.
It won't be a cheap solution unless you can spam a bunch of "friends" in to signing up EVERY month forever.
zefie
join:2007-07-18
Hudson, NY

zefie

H20 offers $50 unlimited* WiMax. I can't really tell you if its any good because I live in an area that has no 4G at all, from any carrier.

I kinda wish we did because that's cheaper than my home connection...

*not sure if real unlimited or typical marketing buzzword

flanigan
@comcast.net

flanigan

Anon

Perfect for my needs

I paired the Freedompop "Freedom Spot Photon" mobile hotspot device with a Cradlepoint dual WAN router and use the WiMAX connection as a failover when our Comcast goes down. We don't use a lot of data, but we run sales transactions, etc through the Internet so it has proven invaluable the few times we actually needed it. For extended outages we can simply purchase more data....so far I'm very satisfied with the FreedomPop service!
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: I like Freedompops idea

The more MVNOs on that LTE network. the more it will become like the current 3g network.