dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-08 08:34:23: Sprint CEO Dan Hesse this morning confirmed that Sprint's a little further behind on LTE than they had hoped to be at this point. "We are behind our original objectives with Network Vision," stated Hesse on a conference call with press and analysts. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

1 edit

xenophon

Nearly $4B upgrades first half of this year

quote:
Sprint Nextel Corp. revealed plans Thursday to rack up $3.8 billion or more in capital expenditures in the first half of 2013 as it builds out an improved 4G network.

Sprint, which is upgrading its nationwide network to 4G LTE technology, overhauled more than 8,000 cell tower sites throughout 2012. A total of 12,000 sites should be on air by {end of March}.
»www.bizjournals.com/kans ··· ses.html

So they were doing well under 1K sites a month last year but well over 1K a month this year.

hamburglar
join:2002-04-29
united state

hamburglar

Surprised?

This is the reason I'll likely leave this summer. Wimax that barely materialized and now the promise of LTE, yet NONE of the Ohio metros are even on the schedule yet. If they had working 3G, it would be a little less painful...

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

So how long is coming months?

"Sprint keeps saying these major markets are arriving in the "coming months," but according to Sprint employees, "coming months" in Sprint's lexicon actually means half a year"

Ok, so in my opinion if I'm doing something in the "coming months" then I do it in 6, I've met my timeframe. Nothing wrong with this in my opinion. Sprint is doing alot of stuff and spending alot of money.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

fix south brooklyn

Sprint towers in South Brooklyn suck!! upgrade them!!

io chico
Premium Member
join:2003-12-30
Marble Falls, TX

io chico

Premium Member

Don't care

I have a Note 2, and I'm just rural enough that I'll never see LTE. I don't care.

I'm so delighted with my unlimited data plan that 2.3 Mbps doesn't bother me at all.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to hamburglar

Premium Member

to hamburglar

Re: Surprised?

said by hamburglar:

This is the reason I'll likely leave this summer.

Same here in southern NJ. Contract up this May and they are 9% implemented with Network Vision and a target of 2014 that has been pushed back twice already. Verizon is fully rolled out here. Makes it an easy choice to switch.
dmelling
join:2009-02-26
New Paris, OH

dmelling to hamburglar

to hamburglar
They started pulling permits in Columbus and Dayton so they have started Ohio......

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to io chico

to io chico

Re: Don't care

I'm pretty sure T-Mobile has HSPA+ up in Chico for the same price (or $70/mo prepaid). It might be worth trying.

io chico
Premium Member
Marble Falls, TX

io chico

Premium Member

Thank you for the suggestion, but I tried T-Mobile, no signal here. I'm in one of the canyons.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to dmelling

to dmelling

Two cities are hardly anything. This just shows that Spent is getting the permits. Are they actually going to get them done on time is another question. Also as far as needing a permit. That is odd since they're not really doing anything as far as "building" that would need such a thing.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to hamburglar

to hamburglar
Very true. The areas that Clear did deploy to are rock solid- at least in the CLE area. Clear should have just kept building out. Sprint should have off loaded them a LONG time ago and let them just start rolling things out. but the problem was the cash. But now we get to see Spent pay for the upgrades three times. First was with Xhom then Clear and now with LTE. Great job for them.

They would be better off focusing on being an MVNE than an actual retail brand. Or even a prepaid company. I know a few prepaid companies that actually have better service than Sprint and on a slower network that they built!
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson

Re: So how long is coming months?

Sprint is spending a lot of money, I'll give you that, but at the cost of their shareholders now. Sprint is far behind, and still bleeding customers. ROI maybe up but without a solid network that can compete with VZW and AT&T Sprint is going to be out the door very soon. They should have been worrying about this a long time ago and done it under CLEAR or at least build out the Wimax network.

Even TMO's network is faster than Sprint's.
Boosted20V
join:2012-11-03

Boosted20V to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

New electric, cabinets and antennas require permits in most localities.
dmelling
join:2009-02-26
New Paris, OH

dmelling to hamburglar

to hamburglar
Exactly regarding the permits, they had the contractor meeting in Columbus last week, Cincinnati soon and then Cleveland....Ohio is coming along nicely.....
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

More importantly, when is 800MHz LTE coming?

And when are the corresponding 800MHz LTE capable phones coming out?

As much as I try to find alternative carriers, including looking at all the MVNO options, Sprint is still the best choice for me, mainly because of the unlimited data. The closest runner up is the Tmo $30 5GB plan. But if you think Sprint 3G is bad, try Tmo 3G in this area!

Of course, I'm in a Wimax area, so really have nothing to complain about.
Sprint LTE will seem to have more coverage than Wimax, so let see what 800Mhz LTE brings.
Boosted20V
join:2012-11-03

Boosted20V

4Q of 2013.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

Sounds like the wimax rollout

Behind schedule, delays, and then we all know how that turned out.

shimonmor
Premium Member
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

1 recommendation

shimonmor

Premium Member

Network Vision???

More like Network Blindness.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to dmelling

to dmelling

Funny you say Cleveland because one of their most used cell site in CLE has yet to have anything done as far as plans. And it needs more than the City of Cleveland's blessing as its located at a major private university and a major nationally known hospital- and no its not CCF/Cleveland Clinic.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to Boosted20V

to Boosted20V
As far as the cities listed, CLE, and Columbus do not require such. Only building permit is if you are building a new shelter house or installing one. cabinets and antennas do not.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to shimonmor

Premium Member

to shimonmor

Re: Network Vision???

Its showing up in the bronx and parts of Brooklyn, NYC

NYC23
@myvzw.com

NYC23 to shimonmor

Anon

to shimonmor
You are in Washington State a place that sprint hasn't touched since the late 90s. From what I see here in Bronx NY is their network vision 3g speeds are over 2.5 megabits down and Lte over 30 down and 15 up. All that with just a 5x5 channel. Their wildcard will be the 800mhz band.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck to io chico

Premium Member

to io chico

said by io chico:

I have a Note 2, and I'm just rural enough that I'll never see LTE. I don't care.

I'm so delighted with my unlimited data plan that 2.3 Mbps doesn't bother me at all.

Do you currently have 3G? If so then you will also see LTE as Sprint is upgrading every 3G tower to LTE unlike Verizon and AT&T who cherry-pick.
m3nphls
join:2012-10-02
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

m3nphls to hamburglar

to hamburglar

They need to learn from VZW about how to build out a network quick and fast.
uteck
join:2009-12-30
Elgin, IL

uteck

I left Sprint, but still suffer

I moved my Sprint phones over to Ting since I rarely used the 4G WiMax anyway. What good is unlimited data when you can hardly use it, and it seems the LTE is about the same. Now I have to pay based on what I use, but that turns out to be about $100 less then I was paying Sprint.

So my Evo is still limited to 3G and spotty 4G, but now I feel better about it since I am paying for what I use, not what is promised.
hescominsoon
join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD

hescominsoon

Sprint has a leg up on everyone else..

VZ and ATT and others with LTE are only doing Gen 1 LTE. this means they require a CDMA 1x carrier for voice. Sprint is deploying LTE-A which doesn't require the 1x CDMA carrier. ATT and VZ are going to have to build TWICE.. Sprint is only going to be building ONCE. When this is done Sprint is going to actually have a more advanced network then anyone else in the US..period. I'm hanging out with Sprint for a bit longer. The truly unlimited data is their only differentiation right now...if they keep that AND get LTE-A fully deployed then Sprint is going to get a huge leg up on ATT and VZ.
hescominsoon

hescominsoon to uteck

to uteck

Re: I left Sprint, but still suffer

said by uteck:

I moved my Sprint phones over to Ting since I rarely used the 4G WiMax anyway. What good is unlimited data when you can hardly use it, and it seems the LTE is about the same. Now I have to pay based on what I use, but that turns out to be about $100 less then I was paying Sprint.

So my Evo is still limited to 3G and spotty 4G, but now I feel better about it since I am paying for what I use, not what is promised.

ting=sprint. ting and many other resellers use Sprint's network.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to NYC23

Premium Member

to NYC23

Re: Network Vision???

said by NYC23 :

YFrom what I see here in Bronx NY is ... Lte over 30 down and 15 up. All that with just a 5x5 channel. Their wildcard will be the 800mhz band.

I gotta say when I first went to Baltimore in 2012 I noted similar speeds. I went in January 2013, and they are faster than EVDO/A but not as spectacular.

io chico
Premium Member
Marble Falls, TX

io chico to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck

You are kidding me? I do have 3G!!! I love Sprint. Thanks for the info, you have made my day!
dotditdot
join:2009-09-23
Santa Fe, NM

dotditdot to hescominsoon

to hescominsoon

Re: Sprint has a leg up on everyone else..

Sorry, but T-mobile already beat them to the punch on that front. T-mobile is deploying LTE Rel. 10 gear whereas Sprint is deploying Rel. 9 equipment (and AT&T and Verizon have Rel. 8 equipment).
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next