dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-08 12:19:47: The latest customer satisfaction report from J.D. Power and Associates offers few surprises, with Verizon Wireless once again taking top spot, and the other carriers battling for the honor of basement dweller. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
alana
join:2009-10-20
Lake Geneva, WI

alana

Correction?

Karl - I assume you mean 766 out of *1000*, not 100.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Thanks!
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

More Loyal?

Of course the users on Shared data plans are more loyal. None of them are out of contract yet.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

cableties

Premium Member

JD Showers...

Guess VZW spent some of that pricey data plan monies on JD Powers "extortion" value survey! Call me surprised! Don't forget, that survey was accompanied by a crisp, $1 bill...

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc

Premium Member

Having our family on a shared data plan has saved us a bundle. 4 smartphones, 8 GB of data and unlimited everything else for less than $200...

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by chamberc:

Having our family on a shared data plan has saved us a bundle. 4 smartphones, 8 GB of data and unlimited everything else for less than $200...

SShhhh...you arent suppose to admit that. You have been here long enough to know that anything that is not unlimited data for $5 a month is not suppose to be a good thing.
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42

We are paying LESS, not more.

I looked at our usage for the past year, and switched to a 6G/month shared plan. My wife was still on the old "unlimited" plan, and I was on a 4GB/month plan with tethering.

Our bill actually went down about $20/month, and we got tethering for both phones. I could lower it further by dropping to 4G/month, as our typical usage is below that.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

Do it...

said by ptb42:

I could lower it further by dropping to 4G/month, as our typical usage is below that.

Verizon lets you backdate plan increases to the beginning of your current billing cycle. I'd drop it to 4GB and make a phone call if you wind up going over in a particular month.

There is no reason to pay an overage on any Verizon plan, voice or data, if you are proactive enough to monitor your usage. They've allowed this type of backdating for more than a decade.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Human race is getting dumber

... or cannot yet correlate reality with technology in terms of a byte.

How exactly is it cheaper to have a set monthly data allotment and pay a steep overage for additional data buckets?

That's like forced food rationing and feeling happy about it!
keason
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
·Comcast Business
·T-Mobile

keason

Premium Member

Press release says CS was differentiator

JDP claims that phone and in-store support was better on shared plans, which accounts for the higher scores. What is really shocking is how poorly all of the carriers scored how littled difference there is between all of the major carriers - 5% or so on their 1000 point scale.

The real reason that consumers are happier with their shared plans is probably because it's addressed their old points of pain. Nearly everyone has experienced a voice or text overage , and responded by overbuying on their next plan. It's all gone with the new unlimited plans. Now V&T have set up a new point of pain (data) which grows 30%+/yr, setting up those same shared plan customers for massive overages toward the end of their contracts, or modest increases if they increase their data allotments.
Crookshanks
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to tired_runner

to tired_runner

Re: Human race is getting dumber

It's basic math. Having three smartphones with 2GB allotments would cost $90/mo under the old pricing scheme. Most of the phones will use less data than that, so the extra data is wasted, while if the third phone goes over it has to purchase a more expensive plan.

Under the new system, 6GB of shared data is $80, so it's already $10 cheaper. Now account for the fact that most (if not all) of the lines will not use 2GB/mo, and you can select a cheaper plan, saving more money. Alternatively, one power user and two normal users will probably fit into 6GB, whereas previously you'd have wasted data on two lines and overages (or higher plan cost) on the third.

It doesn't work for everybody but these plans do save a good number of people a few bucks a month. They aren't aimed at DSL-R power users, they are aimed at John Q. Public, who usually uses less than 1GB/mo of data.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to chamberc

Premium Member

to chamberc

Re: JD Showers...

said by chamberc:

Really?

I just looked at VZW's share everything plan and came up with the following:

4 smartphones $40ea x 4 = $160/month
8GB data plan w/ unl talk and text $90/month

Total $250/month before taxes and fees

So just how do you have what you stated for under $200 for the normal month plan cost AND taxes/fees??

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to clone

Premium Member

to clone

Re: More Loyal?

Also, everyone on the shared plans has just recently started a new contract. Those coming from another provider most likely left because they were not satisfied for whatever reason. Existing customers that would have given a very poor mark on this survey would have left for another provider or simply continued to use their existing service plan.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to chamberc

to chamberc

said by chamberc:

Please do share the company you are using and the details because I just priced a share plan on AT&T using 4 lines and 5GB data and unlimited everything else. Cost? $350
ptb42
join:2002-09-30
USA

ptb42

said by morbo:

Please do share the company you are using and the details because I just priced a share plan on AT&T using 4 lines and 5GB data and unlimited everything else. Cost? $350

I think you need to check your math again. AT&T doesn't offer a 5GB shared plan. And a 6G/month shared plan with 4 phones is $230/month, before taxes.

The original poster may have an exceptionally good corporate rate. A 6G/month plan would cause me $213/month, before taxes.

admin123
@myvzw.com

admin123 to Crookshanks

Anon

to Crookshanks

I don't het it if people use near zero data why have a smartphone on a contract ? whats the point ?

Just go with pre paid.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 edit

pende_tim to keason

Premium Member

to keason

Re: Press release says CS was differentiator

So if I am on an old grandfathered plan, I get worse store support than if I am on a new $share everything plan?

Or is it that I walk out of the store feeling "robbed" and angry by the terms, conditions and cost of having to leave the old Grandfathered plan if I want to upgrade a phone and keep my old plan?

I call BS.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

said by chamberc:

Really?

So just how do you have what you stated for under $200 for the normal month plan cost AND taxes/fees??

22% discount through my employer...
RDC17
join:2011-05-15
Vienna, VA

RDC17

Cheaper than what I was paying before

$206 a month for 4GB with AT&T, 3 iPhones and an iPad. I get a 15% discount. Was paying more with unlimited on one phone and 250gb on the other two.

Joey1973
@verizon.net

Joey1973

Anon

OK

I'm quite happy with my T-Mobile service - no complaints at all.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to keason

to keason

Re: Press release says CS was differentiator

said by keason:

The real reason that consumers are happier with their shared plans is probably because it's addressed their old points of pain. Nearly everyone has experienced a voice or text overage , and responded by overbuying on their next plan. It's all gone with the new unlimited plans.

Really? Can't tell you the last time I had a voice overage. Everyone I call is "in network". Before I left AT&T for Verizon I think we had like 3k rollover minutes.

And I don't text so I could care less. Everyone I want to text to is on iMessage so that's data. Those that text me get a call back. I think my total text bill for last year was $5.00.

I'll run the #'s but I don't see how for us (2 iPhones, 1 dumbphone, no texting) it would save us $$. Last time I ran it, it would up our bill $20 and give us less (I'm on unlimited data).
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to Crookshanks

Premium Member

to Crookshanks

I realize people may pick the more expensive alternatives based on coverage, but beyond that I can't see why.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to chamberc

Premium Member

to chamberc

said by chamberc:

said by ropeguru:

said by chamberc:

Really?

Then that is not comparable.. Nice deception on how the shared plans are better though..
ropeguru

ropeguru to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

said by chamberc:

SShhhh...you arent suppose to admit that. You have been here long enough to know that anything that is not unlimited data for $5 a month is not suppose to be a good thing.

He cannot be used as a comparison because he gets a 22% discount through his employer.
ropeguru

ropeguru to ptb42

Premium Member

to ptb42
THe truth finally came out. He get a 22% discount.

MPScan
Premium Member
join:2001-08-24
Boston, MA

MPScan to chamberc

Premium Member

to chamberc
said by chamberc:

I get the same. Three smartphones, one tablet, 8GB shared data, and and unlimited voice/text for ~$195.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
Yup soon as I saw this I was like version and AT&T give money to J&power.
Crookshanks
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to tired_runner

to tired_runner

If you already had Verizon, and the new plan meets your needs and saves you money, why wouldn't you switch to it?

Coverage is a driving factor for a lot of people, and something that many would argue is worth paying more money for. I'm now living in a med-sized city, so could presumably switch to T-Mobile, but it would leave me without good coverage for trips outside of my hometown, plus T-Mobile's 1900mhz licenses mean their signal dies indoors a lot faster than Verizon's 850mhz signal. It sucks, but that's the reality of RF.

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW to chamberc

Anon

to chamberc

said by chamberc:

I was skeptical of the shared data plans at first, but we too are saving money - we have 3 smartphones and 6GB of data. We could get away with 4GB of data, but for $10 a month the extra 2GB cushion is worth it.

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

Cheaper for me

I was really pissed about the shared plan pricing originally. Months later after several tweaks to my plan, it actually works out a little bit cheaper per month. Yes, hard to believe! iPhone on WiFi most everywhere I go which means I now easily stay under the 300 MB plan that I'm on. I'm sure if this is the case for too many people, VZW will find a way to add some crazy fee to bring revenues back up.
page: 1 · 2 · next