dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-11 08:39:27: AT&T over the weekend got about as close as they're likely to in admitting they messed up the acquisition of T-Mobile. ..

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Anti-trust

Obviously AT&T did not learn a lesson from the Bell divestiture. Their stock tanked somewhere to the tune of 77 percent or so when they were broken up.

Having T-Mobile in the equation keeps prices in check. I currently have Verizon but T-Mobile adding the iPhone to their fleet should keep Verizon from raising rates. The iPhone is one of the most popular phones and people will pay a premium for the privilege of owning one. I pay over $200 per month to Verizon as I have six devices.

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

Rethink possible...

They need to scratch that one, they haven't shown any ability to executing, rethinking anything.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Anti-trust

To my knowledge TM is not/won't be selling the iPhone, they are only adding the 1900Mhz spectrum to support the iPhone. Also, TM will stop sub'ing phones. But, as I understand it, subb'ing the iPhone costs carriers a lot more then subb'ing other phones as Apple gets a premium for them. So subb'ing the iPhone actually costs carriers more then other phones.

Phone plans are phone plans... TM does not make any more on ones sold to iPhone users.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by tcope:

To my knowledge TM is not/won't be selling the iPhone, they are only adding the 1900Mhz spectrum to support the iPhone. Also, TM will stop sub'ing phones. But, as I understand it, subb'ing the iPhone costs carriers a lot more then subb'ing other phones as Apple gets a premium for them. So subb'ing the iPhone actually costs carriers more then other phones.

Phone plans are phone plans... TM does not make any more on ones sold to iPhone users.

Actually T-Mobile is adding the iPhone to their fleet but without subsidies. »www.macworld.com/article ··· ies.html
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I suppose TM could offer just about any phone... at full retail.

I think I've come to like their approch and I think it's a good one since the AT&T failed to bully their way into more customers. I can see where the other carriers may need to follow suit and offer reduced plan rates for people without a contract. I can also see it lowering retail phone prices.

Who this _really_ helps is Google and the Nexus line.

But hey... if it pulls one customer away from AT&T I'll be happy.

whiteshp
join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH

whiteshp

Hello FCC this is AT&T.

*ring* *ring* Hello FCC this is AT&T." "Those 1530 cupcakes with the AT&T logo on them we spent $50 each on during the T-mobile deliberations we sent to you?" "Yeah we want that money back." "Well you can just tax FIOS or something but yeah..." "What do you mean you won't give US the money?" "Cracker Cream told us every dollar spent in cupcakes would come back ten fold in political 'good will!'" "Oh dear, oh dear I don't understand?!" "I feel faint, do you hear me?" "I feel network congestion coming on!" "I REALLY feel a network congestion attack coming on!" "Consumers beware spectrum crunch!"

tmh
@183.90.41.x

tmh

Anon

...there's little to no indication AT&T learned much...

Actually, they learned it pretty much doesn't matter what they do. They will still come out on top, and the consumer always gets it without lube.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Embellished too much

They embellished too much on this stuff. The merger stood on it's own as a big step forward for wireless in the US, they shouldn't have blown it by lying to make it even more appealing than it was.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

trust + corporation = oxymoron

corporations since late 1999 have taken this to a whole new level... the moral compass of the people who make up these corporations top management have gotten worse and worse (or better from their perspective) at doing bad by the consumer.

how many large corporations can you honestly say provide a good value for the product and/or service they provide? and it doesn't want to make you throw up as if you've swallowed poisoned food... hint. it's much more than in 1999 or earlier..

Gork
Ou812ic
join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

Gork to tmh

to tmh

Re: ...there's little to no indication AT&T learned much...

said by tmh :

the consumer always gets it without lube.

Only because the consumer allows it. I pay $4/mo for very basic service. If everyone did that for a period of time I'd imagine we'd see prices dip just a tad. But people just keep on paying these exorbitant prices.