spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-12 15:51:41: Responding to all the attention being given to Google Fiber, Gigabit Squared, and the FCC's rather hollow recent 1 Gbps challenge," Verizon's top policy man Link Hoewing proclaims that Verizon is ready and willing to offer 1 Gbps connections -- as so.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

Demand

They will never see the "demand" they are talking about at the prices they would charge for such services.

If they are willing to offer 1gbps symmetrical connections to homes for the same price Google is, then demand would be overwhelming.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

But are they willing to deliver on pricing...

... how the customer wants it?

Didn't think so.

floyd007

join:2004-06-07
Richmond, VA

1 GbPs speed is not warranted at this time for homes

unless you happen own a small to medium business. Google is losing money each and every time they lay fibre optics to a dwelling. Then again Google has irresponsibly spent shareholder money on frivolous ventures.

aciddrink

said by floyd007:

Then again Google has irresponsibly spent shareholder money on frivolous ventures.

Do you have any examples? Other than your clear opinion on Google's Fiber project?

Expanding a business foothold and/or branching out is hardly irresponsible, in my opinion (As a prior stock holder).

MURICA

join:2013-01-03
reply to floyd007
Thanks for your input, Mitt Romney.

Elite

join:2002-10-03
Orange, CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

We should have 1Gps fiber

I've reached a point where my LTE is faster than my cable internet at home. Verizon has no intentions of deploying 1Gbps fiber in the immediate future. If they were "ready and willing", they would be offering it right now. You would literally be able to call them up and order it.

Nice try, Verizon. As for the Google Fiber situation, why be mad at Google? They're the ones pushing this whole fiber thing the hardest. And look what the other ISPs are doing in those areas, they're losing customers because they offer a poor value paired with a crappy infrastructure. The fact that so many ISP's/telco's/cableco's are dwelling on copper is the only thing stopping widespread fiber adaptation. Copper will not be sustainable in the long run, but nobody wants eat the initial upfront costs of deploying fiber... except for Google, who had no fucking copper infrastructure to begin with in any of the towns they deployed fiber to. Then, they decide to modestly start rolling out cheap, fast fiber. $70 for 1Gbit/1Gbit? They're setting an example of how the internet should be.

Saddest part: I'll still be using bullshit cable with no upstream and marginally faster downstream in 5 years. And my bill will have gone up!
--
QUAD!!!!

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to floyd007

Re: 1 GbPs speed is not warranted at this time for homes

said by floyd007:

unless you happen own a small to medium business. Google is losing money each and every time they lay fibre optics to a dwelling. Then again Google has irresponsibly spent shareholder money on frivolous ventures.

i'm not sure i understand this one...
"irresponsibly spent shareholder money"....
umm last year their stock price was $550 or so.. this year it's $700.

it seems like their doing fine at meeting shareholder interests..

aciddrink

reply to Elite

Re: We should have 1Gps fiber

said by Elite:

I've reached a point where my LTE is faster than my cable internet at home.

It's funny you say this because my cell phone gets about twice the download speed as my home internet, and 4-5 times the upload speed.

Granted, it's under extremely restrictive usage caps.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to aciddrink

Re: Demand

said by aciddrink:

If they are willing to offer 1gbps symmetrical connections to homes for the same price Google is, then demand would be overwhelming.

Nope. The price is too high, regardless of speed.

Google's $70+/month is beyond the desired reach of majority public. They simply aren't interested or willing to pay that much.

(I count myself among that crowd, though we've paid much more in the past, and I *am* willing and able to pay whatever amount is necessary to obtain a given level of service - we just don't need FTTH speeds.)

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
If you can pay $70/month for 1Gpbs with no caps, you can cut the cord (be that FIOS TV, cable or U-Verse) and use the savings over a typical TV + HSI subscription to pay for some streaming services.

I'd drop $70/month on a 1 Gbps link with no limits and cut the cord in a heartbeat.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

What if I wanted it...

... but the price wasn't right? I would take a Gigabit connection irrespective of the usage I have now for the sake of having it. I never see a problem with having too much, but I'd rather not have not enough during a time where I actually need the connection.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Dear Verizon,

If you can provide synchronous 1gbps for $70/month, then feel free to go ahead with that. (Given that's only a few dollars more than your 3/1 offering, I won't be holding my breath.) Do I demand it? Do I need it? Do I even want it? No, not especially, not for the speed anyway... the speed isn't really the point, is it. Internet access with no caps and at a fair price... yeah, that's the point.

--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Verizon: Cheapskates

The network will handle anything they want to throw at it, but they have no interest in having a product significantly better than what cable companies are offering.

Outside of upload speeds, they've sacrificed every advantage they had. The download speeds of Comcast and Cox have caught up. And very few people really value high upload speeds, and those have caught up too, at least at Comcast.

With the Quantum speed increases (and price increases), I don't know why they didn't keep upload symmetrical to download.

When it comes to TV offerings, they've maxed out their HD channels, and they're falling behind the other providers there too. Their only advantage left is premium movie channels, and that's really only against Comcast who seems to hate them.

FiOS increasingly looks like a flash in the pan, even starting with so much promise. Verizon's plan is little different than what Frontier is doing in the divested markets, keep things the same, increase prices, and get whatever cash you can from it instead of really marketing something better.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Give me the damn Fiber Already!!!

I don't care if they think that just give the fiber and compete with google if you think that nobody wants 1GBPS then please look around the world where we are losing more and more when it comes to internet speed. The French are leading the way so lets do the same when it comes to the internet. If they offer me 1GPBS under 100 then i would jump the gun since I'm a cord cutter.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5

2 edits

Just give me fast FIOS service!

Come on Verizon. Come to my home neighborhoods so I can get off TWC!!

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Os

Re: Verizon: Cheapskates

Verizon FiOS is better than cable in a couple of ways
Lower pings, No peak time slowdowns and no data caps.
Those set it apart for me and keep me on FiOS

But I have to agree about the price increases, it's really killing demand for the service. Sadly I think their speed tiers are set to make the user notice a speed upgrade, not based on the capabilities of their network. They could be offering much more and killing the cable company's in places they already have FiOS.

I only subscribe to 15/5 because I live alone and I'm trying to save money but it does seem really absurd to limit a fiber connection as much as they do.

dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL
reply to elray

100% wrong. majority public pays $150+ for tv + internet. If you think the majority isn't willing to pay $100 for tv+internet via google, you are willingly ignorant and/or blind.

There's a reason verizon and TW among others are freaking out, and it's called they don't want to compete and enjoy their monopolies.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
reply to antdude

Re: Just give me fast FIOS!

Dont know why people are so po'd about this statement.
If the demand is there they'll provide it.
Makes sense from a business standpoint.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18

STFU and deliver service first before talking about speeds

Seriously.

dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL
reply to pittpete1

maybe because you don't understand that how they define demand is "however we want to"? Not by actual, real demand.

they agreed to not compete with comcast for example, so all the areas that demand better than comcast (as comcast sucks), are now not provided. Those are enormous markets with millions of potential customers, all who have LTE at the same time.

try not to be so ignorant.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

gib

"We've already demonstrated we can deliver 1Gbps and even 10 Gbps speeds over the same fiber to a home. As consumer demands and needs grow, we can increase our speeds. But offering a high speed connection to the home does not tell the full story when it comes to delivering the best possible and most capable broadband service. A high number of bits-per-second-connection alone isn't sufficient, because other factors aside from speed affect the quality and capability of a connection."

I DEMAND 1gbps. there, now give it to me.

Care to explain the "full story" then? and it's not like the two are mutually exclusive.

Kamus

El Paso, TX
reply to elray

said by elray:

said by aciddrink:

Nope. The price is too high, regardless of speed.

Google's $70+/month is beyond the desired reach of majority public. They simply aren't interested or willing to pay that much.

(I count myself among that crowd, though we've paid much more in the past, and I *am* willing and able to pay whatever amount is necessary to obtain a given level of service - we just don't need FTTH speeds.)

The price is too high? for people like you there's a FREE version.

uverseguy14

@sbcglobal.net

having fast connection for practicality vs just because

I don't download a lot or upload, I simply stream most of time and I have 12 Mb connection which I enough. I added basic TV and HBO to get out more of fun in my free time and now I can stream HBO which makes my internet connection more useful. Simply increasing download speed and paying more for internet connection would not add any personal benefit for me other than just I have faster connection.

Kamus

El Paso, TX
reply to floyd007

Re: 1 GbPs speed is not warranted at this time for homes

Can you please back up your statement with some facts? like the exact price of the components compared to a copper install?
(i don't think you have a clue)

Ignite
Premium,VIP
join:2004-03-18
UK
Reviews:
·PlusNet
reply to floyd007
said by floyd007:

It's called capital expenditure. Investing money in the hope of receiving it back plus more over a pay back period.

Every network is the same, the difference is only in the pay back period and whether it's achieved.

Kamus

El Paso, TX
reply to Elite

It's simple really, the technology is there for 1gbps now, and in a year or two they'd be able to deliver at least twice that for the same cost of deployment. And i'm being conservative here, because fiber is actually about 2x faster than moore's law when it comes to the over time speed increases.
The technology is there, the problem is they'll never give it to us. So we're going to have to take matters into our own hands...
And there is where the problem lies. Because we can't. We can't just run our own cables with out permission from the government. So it's going to take a WiFi like approach to the problem. But instead of being the last few feet, it needs to become a last mile solver. This will be possible a lot sooner than people realize.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

I want it

NOW!! Oh, wait, they elected to bypass my subdivision when deploying FiOS not more the 200' down a main 4 lane highway..

So how again are they going to deply this when I want it?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to aciddrink

said by aciddrink:

Granted, it's under extremely restrictive usage caps.

Exactly, making the connection practically useless for much of anything.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to dfxmatt

said by dfxmatt:

100% wrong. majority public pays $150+ for tv + internet. If you think the majority isn't willing to pay $100 for tv+internet via google, you are willingly ignorant and/or blind.

There's a reason verizon and TW among others are freaking out, and it's called they don't want to compete and enjoy their monopolies.

He is being wilfully ignorant.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to dfxmatt

try not to be so ignorant...
Your talking to me?
Who the hell needs a 1gbs connection?
People are still on >3mbps in the country.
If the demand is there in their footprint they said they would provide it.
You don't build a house, install all the upgrades and then say to the person who buys the house "well it's there if you want it"
I work for Verizon as a craftperson, so I think I know a little about this.