dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-12 15:51:41: Responding to all the attention being given to Google Fiber, Gigabit Squared, and the FCC's rather hollow recent 1 Gbps challenge," Verizon's top policy man Link Hoewing proclaims that Verizon is ready and willing to offer 1 Gbps connections -- as so.. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to manuetdeo

Premium Member

to manuetdeo

Re: I'll never get 1Gbps at my address

And this would be yours?

Good luck!

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to elray

to elray

Re: Demand

My household is very happy with 30-some channels of free over-the-air broadcast TV, much of it in HD. Plus we have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Crackle.

Total cost of video content is under $10/month, and we get way more than everything we want to watch. I don't count the cost of Amazon Prime because we've been using it (for free Amazon.com shipping) since long before they included free streaming-- and we'd continue our Prime membership even without streaming. Crackle is free.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to keithps

to keithps
I don't think you have any idea how many people would kill for that, myself included. I'd happily pay $70/mo for 100/100. You also have an actual local fiber ISP, which almost nobody has. My options are comcast or an extremely limited ATT option for more money for less speed.

What google is opening up, is an area where there is no current competition.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elray

to elray
said by elray:

That's multiple applications, not one.

If you have more than one computer operating in your household, and you're consuming additional bandwidth, you should be willing to pay for it, not expect your neighbors to underwrite it.

There is certainly room for all pricing models to co-exist. But the one you want ("more") inevitably will have to cost more than the one that respects the single, low-volume subscriber.

and? That's quite common now.

Only in your dream world are neighbours underwriting anything.

Except ISPs don't want to offer your version of "less". All they want to offer is rip off or more.
Expand your moderator at work
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

I'll settle for FIOS.

Verizon should consider deploying the product they already have. Until they do this, anything else they have to say about providing quality Internet connections to customers is hardly believable.
NOVA_UAV_Guy

NOVA_UAV_Guy to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt

said by dfxmatt:

100% wrong. majority public pays $150+ for tv + internet. If you think the majority isn't willing to pay $100 for tv+internet via google, you are willingly ignorant and/or blind.

Agreed. I'm paying $100/mo for Internet now and don't necessarily mind. And I also pay around $130/mo for DirecTV.

I think people are more concerned about getting good speed connections with high (or no) caps to allow them to stream video, make video calls, make voice calls, work from home, etc.
NOVA_UAV_Guy

NOVA_UAV_Guy to elray

Premium Member

to elray
said by elray:

Cable is not a monopoly.

Correct. Cable vs. Telco - when you're talking about one cable provider and Verizon - is a particular type of oligopoly called a duopoly. Take your pick of either of these terms; either way a simple search on them will indicate a market condition that's far from the competitive free market landscape envisioned by Adam Smith.

For things to become truly competitive, all cable companies need to be able to compete in all areas for each person's business using existing network connections to each home. Consumers need to have a choice between several - at least 4 or 5, and ideally more - options offering a relatively similar product.

A market in which an ISP solely determines service offerings, policies (such as caps), and pricing tiers can hardly be called competitive.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to rradina

Anon

to rradina
The majority of people in Canada would pay at least triple that. Many would pay ten times that.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to 34764170

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

and? That's quite common now.

Only in your dream world are neighbours underwriting anything.

Except ISPs don't want to offer your version of "less". All they want to offer is rip off or more.

Wrong. Time Warner Cable did offer up "less", only to be silenced by Karl Bode and his merry band of populists.

Todays' offerings are substantially cheaper than they were a decade ago, for 3-20x the speed. Hardly a "rip off".
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by elray:

Wrong. Time Warner Cable did offer up "less", only to be silenced by Karl Bode and his merry band of populists.

Todays' offerings are substantially cheaper than they were a decade ago, for 3-20x the speed. Hardly a "rip off".

The way they were planning on doing things and their long term plan was a bad idea for customers and customers let them know what they thought about it. If they offered up a better option and not had the intention of forcing the model on all customers down the road I'm sure it would be Ok and not have such a backlash from customers.

Except what is offered now all too often is a rip off.
prisaz
join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD

prisaz

Yea Right!

I live in Montgomery County Maryland, and can't get GPON. Blow smoke up somewhere else!
prisaz

1 edit

prisaz to Os

to Os

Re: Verizon: Cheapskates

Yep in my county they want to stick neck and neck with cable. I have been on BPON since 2005, and no interests to upgrade here. Comcast is sticking at 50Mbps so Verizon is trying to do the same, and only providing 75/35 if the customers have a 612 ONT that will handle the 35Mbps uploads.
hardstyler
join:2013-02-17

hardstyler

IMPRESSIVE!!!

Only 70$/month for a gigabit????

Come to Italy!!!!! You have a 100 Mb/s for ONLY 75 EUROs!!!!! not dollars!!!!! And is 100/10 internet only!!!!! no TV, music, films in streaming....nothing of it, only adsl!!! Ok it's also Fastweb in Italy that gives 100 Mb/s for 30 Euros but in what city?? too low cities in the country and only in some city zones!!!
cferro
join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ

cferro to floyd007

to floyd007

Re: 1 GbPs speed is not warranted at this time for homes

Google wanted to be the first guy on the block to provide the consumer with 1Gbp of service, whether they can use it or not.
jakesoftware
join:2013-02-17
Minneapolis, MN

jakesoftware to elray

to elray

I live in MN and Comcast is $49-$75 for home internet already. If Google offered that up here, the majority of people that currently have internet would make the move immediately. The first person being myself. The companies I work with daily would be next. I am not sure what the port access is with Google's service, but it has to be better than Comcast.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4