spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-14 10:35:48: A very reliable source inside Comcast tells me that the new speeds being seen by many of our users in the Northeast should be appearing for the rest of you in March. ..

prev page · 1 · 2
djcrazy
Premium
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US

2 edits

Cool.

I needed to hear something like this to justify the $8 or so increase I saw in my new bill. I am on the Blast tier and while usually better, my download speeds blow today ( tested 3 times). Maybe this is on the test server end. This was at »ipv6.speedtest.comcast.net/
This was a local server in the Twin Cities area so the 6400 miles is wrong and so is the IPV4 marking.

Seems better at speedtest.net

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

Re: Cool.

Xfinity looks more accurate. Speedtest.net must of used a smaller file size and your results was measuring just the powerboost.
D Smoke

join:2002-06-14
Minneapolis, MN
said by djcrazy:

I needed to hear something like this to justify the $8 or so increase I saw in my new bill. I am on the Blast tier and while usually better, my download speeds blow today ( tested 3 times). Maybe this is on the test server end. This was at »ipv6.speedtest.comcast.net/
This was a local server in the Twin Cities area so the 6400 miles is wrong and so is the IPV4 marking.

That does blow considering you on blast. What kinda modem you using? I have a SB6121 and the think gets awesome speeds on blast.

Had an issue with the modem dumping connection when I first got it, but it only happened a few times & they have since updated the firmware and I also seem to max out my speed. Usenet 3,000k+ rock solid.

Might wanna check your signal levels, I get 4 channel bonding downstream and 2 upstream. I'm looking forward to double the speeds.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL

Going to need a HDWR change?

With these speeds increasing over the years do you think my SB5120 is going to be too old to handle the speeds? I'm a "if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" kind of guy who's been renting the same modem for over 6 years now.
kraze

join:2011-08-13

Re: Going to need a HDWR change?

It can handle it, sure but that is only a D2 modem so if you expect to see any faster speeds you will need to ask Comcast to upgrade you to a D3 one.

They should do it for free you just need to call them.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL

Is there too much of a hassle to go out and buy a D3 modem and drop off the rental modem? Is it seamless to give Comcast the serial # of the modem I could buy?
kraze

Personally I would just use the one from Comcast but that's just me. Buying a new modem is fairly easy but they can be somewhat expensive.

The process is easy and really only involves unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one.

royphil345
Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lakewood, OH
kudos:3

2 edits
said by CUBS_FAN:

Is there too much of a hassle to go out and buy a D3 modem and drop off the rental modem? Is it seamless to give Comcast the serial # of the modem I could buy?

You have to make sure you buy a modem that's on Comcast's compatible list. Otherwise, the guys at the back end will refuse to activate it...

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Then, call tech support. They'll first add it to billing as a new customer owned modem ($0.00). Then, they'll go into a live modem add chat with the backend, ask you your serial # and MAC address and you'll be about done. Support person should take a last look to make sure new modem shows as being provisioned and everything looks right. Takes about 5-10 minutes.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage

1 edit

said by royphil345:

You have to make sure you buy a modem that's on Comcast's compatible list. Otherwise, the guys at the back end will refuse to activate it...

I see for $99 at Bestbuy the SB6121 and SB6141. According to the compatibility list the 6121 has 3 stars and the 6141 has just 1. Only difference is the SB6141 has up to 343.1 Mbps and the SB6121 has up to 160 Mbps downstream and up to 120 Mbps upstream.
Which one is the appropriate popular modem to buy for Performance Tier?
[EDIT]
Just checked and see that the SB6121 is not available to buy

Rick
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-06
Waterbury, CT

said by CUBS_FAN:

Your current SB5120 modem is fine for the performance tier..even with the speed upgrade. I use that one myself and like you said..if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

Save yourself the 100.00. A new one won't do anything for you that your current one isn't doing already.

~Rick

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Rick:

said by CUBS_FAN:

Your current SB5120 modem is fine for the performance tier..even with the speed upgrade. I use that one myself and like you said..if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

Save yourself the 100.00. A new one won't do anything for you that your current one isn't doing already.

~Rick

So you don't think that having a fatter pipe due to the multiple channel bonding of DOCSIS 3 would give a better consistency / reliability of getting one's subscribed to speeds especially during times of peak usage / possible congestion on any given local segment ?

royphil345
Premium
Lakewood, OH

If you do lose speed due to congestion, a docsis 3 will almost definitely help. I only have about 24 Mbps down and I didn't really need docsis 3. But, I used to see some slowing in the evening and now my speed tests come out exactly the same 24/7.

If you're getting your max speed all the time anyway, then you probably don't need a docsis 3 right now.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage

said by royphil345:

If you're getting your max speed all the time anyway, then you probably don't need a docsis 3 right now.

The main reason why I was considering a modem swap was because I was getting page hangs and pings were timing out (packet loss?) and if I were to call support I'm sure the first thing they would consider me switching out was my old modem.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
·Comcast
·Vonage

I just googled.. This is just great!

Q: Why has my Comcast home network suddenly slowed down?
Why are downloads/uploads suddenly taking longer?
Streaming video is crawling. Why?
Context
No changes to ISP, networking hardware or computers
Comcast is mandated by the FCC to go around to check for areas that are leaking RF interference (called CLI leakage) If Comcast find a house that has CLI leakage they put a "pad" on the cable line coming into your house which severely degrades the signal.
Comcast customer service may not be able to explain it and blame the internal network or home router.
Could only get good signal signal if computer was directly connected to the cable modem with all other cable drops disconnected.
Answer
Contact Comcast customer service and request a tech on site visit.
There may be a purple tag on the line coming to the house labeled "CLI Leakage repair needed' and a small connector inserted between the exterior cable line and line into the house
The Comcast Tech should "sweep" the house for CLI Leakage and removed the "pad". After that service should be back to normal.

CUBS_FAN
Next Year Again..

Chicago, IL
I went to the Comcast store (on a Saturday and waited in line for 45 minutes ) and they replaced my old modem with a Cisco dpc3008 modem.

royphil345
Premium
Lakewood, OH
said by CUBS_FAN:

said by royphil345:

I see for $99 at Bestbuy the SB6121 and SB6141. According to the compatibility list the 6121 has 3 stars and the 6141 has just 1. Only difference is the SB6141 has up to 343.1 Mbps and the SB6121 has up to 160 Mbps downstream and up to 120 Mbps upstream.
[EDIT]
Just checked and see that the SB6121 is not available to buy

The docsis 2 modem is good to about 25-30 Mbps. Anything over that requires docsis 3. Although, docsis 3 may help you keep your peak speeds during high traffic hours if you ever notice performance lagging at certain times of day.

Amazon has the SB6121 for $77. Bought mine there about a month ago.

K3

join:2008-05-06
Kankakee, IL

speed increase

I just got the message on my dvr box saying speeds are going to be increased. I have extreme 50 so I am looking forward to having my speed doubled. I live just south of Chicago.

iNick73376

@comcast.net

got the Message on Cable Box in Joliet, IL

said by K3:

I just got the message on my dvr box saying speeds are going to be increased. I have extreme 50 so I am looking forward to having my speed doubled. I live just south of Chicago.

Same I can't wait as I live in Joliet, IL :P Extreme 105 Speed's would be great!

Jovi
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Mount Joy, PA

South Central PA

--
"Some people have no respect for logic."

Anon13258

@comcast.net

Strange

This is strange.

For the past week I've been getting random 20/4 w/powerboost from my normal 16/2 (never saw 20/4 before had on speedtest ever even with the 16/2 plan).

Now in the past few days I've seen my speedtests jumping from 20/4 (from 16/2) to 25/4 which leads me to believe the screenshot is accurate and not what people are seeing (20/4). I'm not sure where it'll settle once PB finally just dies (thank god!), but it's nice to see 25/4 if that's where it settles.
Cyndee

join:2001-02-03
Chicago, IL

1 edit

Chicago

This what I'm getting in Chicago. I have Blast (with powerboost) and pay $75 per month. I thought it was 30/6. Should I be getting better than this? I have a D3 modem.

And how does one test without powerboost?

MAIZnBLUE
Premium
join:2004-01-15
Milan, MI

Speed Increase

On the way to work, I heard on the radio, that there is a speed increase coming, the most popular one will receive a 60% increase, the 2 highest tiers will double and coming this summer you can get speeds up to 200 Mbps...
This is in the Detroit area...
Pete7874

join:2005-07-14
Addison, IL

Economy Plus?

Have any Economy Plus customers seen their speeds bumped up, too? It's supposed to go up to 5 Mbps down / 2 Mbps up. Mine's still at 3 Mbps down though.
--
Comcast HSI | Linksys BEFCMU10 modem | ASUS RT-N16 router on Tomato 1.28 (Shibby)
D Smoke

join:2002-06-14
Minneapolis, MN

Good speeds here

said by djcrazy:

That does blow considering you on blast. What kinda modem you using? I have a SB6121 and the thing gets awesome speeds on blast.

Had an issue with the modem dumping connection when I first got it, but it only happened a few times & they have since updated the firmware and I also seem to max out my speed. Usenet 3,000k+ rock solid. I'm up in Coon Rapids area.

Might wanna check your signal levels, I get 4 channel bonding downstream and 2 upstream. I'm looking forward to double the speeds.

Something might be up with your connection, it shouldn't show the server is that far away for you.
kraze

1 edit

Re: Good speeds here

California just got the upgrade(Sacramento)

»comcastcalifornia.mediaroom.com/···item=647

oregon

@comcast.net

Re: Good speeds here

RESET MODEM 3/30/13.....

whoa....

I was already getting 30-35mbs download before on 20mbs service. My bandwidth has doubled, I will stop complaining that I'm not in a FioS svc area.

Someone asked about speed caps... on comcast I've never seen a D2 modem go over 25mbs, though they have a supposed cap of 42mbs in USA.

Never seen a 4-channel D3 go over 100mbs either, though they have a supposed cap around 170mbs in USA

I do commercial cable installs as a contractor. I have done work for comcast in the past.... they are the biggest company I've done work for....and subsequently pay the LEAST.

CTamayo

@comcast.net

Atlanta Area

I pinged the same server on both the comcast server and the speedtest.net This is Blast!. If you havent gotten speeds at about ~50Mbp. Reset your modem, or call in to get some help.
This is up from its old speed of ~35Mpbs on Blast!